DIY MH

robe

I'll be adding a 250w Radium 20000K MH lamp soon to my tank. Will see whether it can color up my sps some more....

lighting will consist of 1 x 150w Iwasaki Aqua 1 x 150w 6500K 1 x 250w 6500 and 1 x 250w radium ... will post pic once it's up in 2 weeks time.

hmmm or maybe make it 2 x 250 w 6500K and 2 x250w radium 20kk downside will be my electrical bill.. :(

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Didn't get too rave reviews about 250W Radium, but I'm still interested to see the colour and growth. Heard that 400w Radiums are super! Good luck anyway! B)

Also I've seen 250w AB in action in and I think the colour is great. You could try those. In case you are interest, I'll be buying some bulbs soon, if you want to share an order, give me an shout.

More MH the merrier! How big is your tank and what chiller are you using?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

hi guys,

Today went to Lor Halus and enquiry about the AZOO 4 feet MH light with 3X150 watts..Cost 1100 so exp.I wonder anyone out there know how to DIY MH ..preharp can post a few pics of it.. I believe that will help a lot of ppls who want to save money$$.

:P

• SRC Member

Unless you intend to build your own ballast (which is possible), DIYing MH is very simple. All you need to buy is a ballast, harness(wiring), socket and bulb, then find a nice canopy to mount them in and you are done! It will not look as sleek as those factory made luminaires(Azoo, Arcadia, AB, Geisemann,etc) but you get the flexibility you want.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

My tank is 52 x 20 x 20 inches and I'm using a 1 HP chiller. I just finished setting up my radium this afternoon. It looks great in combination with the Iwasaki. I'm thinking of putting in the 400w radium instead of a 250w.

If I put in the 400 that means my total wattage would go up 1050 watts ( 2 x 250, 1x150 , 1x 400)... running at 12 hours daily thats around 13 kwh a day or ~400 kwh a month. Jeezz... would cost me $68 a month just for the lighting alone...not counting the pumps and chillers.

I better stick to 2 x 150 and 2 x 250.....

• SRC Member
I'll be adding a 250w Radium 20000K MH lamp soon to my tank. Will see whether it can color up my sps some more....

lighting will consist of 1 x 150w Iwasaki Aqua 1 x 150w 6500K 1 x 250w 6500 and 1 x 250w radium ... will post pic once it's up in 2 weeks time.

hmmm or maybe make it 2 x 250 w 6500K and 2 x250w radium 20kk downside will be my electrical bill.. :(

Are all your iwasakis single ended????

• SRC Member

Robe,

Thanks for the infor...

going most probably with Iwasakis... either 3 x 250Ws 6500ks or a combo of 1 x 250 and 2 x 150W...

if going with the later , will obtain 20000ks for the 150Ws.....

Would need to wait for Bernard's confirmation.....

Wonder does Iwasaki have the 10000k range for their 150Ws????

Hi Guys

Just bought kits to DIY 250W MH during lunch time.

The kit consist of:

2pcs 2' alu reflector for flourscent tube

2pcs 250W ballast

2pcs 250W ignitor

2pcs Capacitors

4pcs E40 lamp holder (2 spares for future upgrade)

Total cost $161.

Will be getting the bulbs later, going for Iwasaki and Radium.

hi spade

Bought the material from Chan Huat Electric along Balestier Road. Was recommended by robe.

As this is a strictly DIY project, I am still in the process of working out the best way to mount everything together. The hood will also be a DIY thing nothing fancy full just to hide the lamps.

• SRC Member
Hi Guys

Just bought kits to DIY 250W MH during lunch time.

The kit consist of:

2pcs 2' alu reflector for flourscent tube

2pcs 250W ballast

2pcs 250W ignitor

2pcs Capacitors

4pcs E40 lamp holder (2 spares for future upgrade)

Total cost $161.

Will be getting the bulbs later, going for Iwasaki and Radium.

Somebody help me with this....

Thought the 250W s ballast doesn't require a ignitor/capacitors....aren't they inbuilt????

I think someone mentioned that you only need the E40 lamp holder and ballast.. wired them up and it works...... :blink:

Iwasaki 250W 6500K does not require MH ballast and igniter as it has an internal igniter in the bulb all it needs is a mercury vapor lamp ballast.

Radium on the other hand requires HPS or MH ballast and 4 KV igniter, 30 uf capacitor is to increase power factor.

Morgan ,

Please note that the Iwasaki 250watt MH lamp requires a mercury vapor lamp ballast and a capacitor only.

Hi Robe,

Looks like you are gonna put a lot of LFS out of biz with your DIY MHs idea!

Guys, I have been to Robe's place to take a look at his MHs... and they rock... they gotta guzzle lots of power though... and no good chiller, don't even think about it! But the money you save from DIY would help you get a good chiller... heh!

If you are have an acro-dominated tank like he does, you may want to look at 400-watters... :ph34r:

Robe... I have your photos ready to show off... but let me get a Photo Gallery software installed in our server first.

You too, Morg!

B)

• SRC Member

Hi,

juz finished reading an article from Adv Aquarist http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct...002/feature.htm, it mentioned that the pulse start ballast will help to prolong the bulb life.

anybody know where can get this type of ballast and the matching bulb? and how much would this kinda setup would cost as compared to the normal MH setup??

Morgan,

I was planing to buy another bulb...sheez I'll try to call them up again and let them check again. I hope its not an LFS who cornered their stock.

If they don't have I'll try to find alternative source as I wanted to add another light to my tank.

Spade,

Other than the Iwasaki 250w and 40ow 6500K bulbs the rest of the MH lamps require MH ballast and igniter to work. MH Ballast sold here are compatible with most european MH lamps. You need to check the lamp specs in the catalogue to be sure though as some have specific requirements.