DIY MH

robe

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

6 is ok if you have a glass cover. I place mine at 10" for a bigger spread.

It really depends on your pendant and reflector. Adjust it to suit your tank, depending on rocks and depth, too close it can get hot and the light will be very intense as a spot underneath the lamp, too far and it doesn't look as bright.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

haahaaha...

:lol::lol::lol:

Anyone out there hav other alternatives to these reflectors....

gonna get pretty expensive trying to bring 3 of these in.... not to mention shipping/delivery charges........

Alvy, How's your DIYed Parabolic reflectors????? :rolleyes:

So AT, when will we see your reef under high wattage MHs....?? :lol:

• SRC Member

Hi I need help from you guys. Intend to DIY MH for my coming 5Ft tank and I want buy 2 Iwasaki 250W 6500K but I do not know where to get them. Anyone get help?

I just went to Chan Huat at Balester Rd (read from a forum) to buy the

ballast and holder but they dun sell me!!??

Can any want help me? HELP!!

• SRC Member

HI Seahorse,

You can get the Iwasakis from Eye Lighting...

21 Kaki Bukit Place, Eunos Techpark

Look for Bernard Low...

I will PM you his Mobile number ...

That is If I still remember.... haahaa....

BTW, is 2 x 250Ws enough for proper light spreading for a 5 footer????

• SRC Member

It's usually one bulb per 2 sq feet. I would recommend 3 on a 5 footer rather than 2. Besides you have 2 support brace, just right for 3 bulbs.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
It's usually one bulb per 2 sq feet. I would recommend 3 on a 5 footer rather than 2. Besides you have 2 support brace, just right for 3 bulbs.

Hmmm....You do really take note of details....

;)

Did I ever mentioned that I had 2 support bracing????

• SRC Member

Maybe you mentioned it or that I saw it on your photo or I am plain crazy.

Got reef?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Do they have HQI ballast available locally??

The last time I checked.... was told that magnetic ballast are the only ones available in the market unless you but them from overseas....

Anyone out there with 400W Iwasakis or Radiums to help me....

Need some infor.....

Thanks.

400w Iwasaki - Eye lighting sells the ballast w/ or w/out casing

400w radium - any high pressure sodium or metal halide ballast from Vossloh Schwabe or Magnetek and others can be bought from electrical shops like Chan Huat in Balestier ~ $40

• SRC Member

400w radium - any high pressure sodium or metal halide ballast from Vossloh Schwabe or Magnetek and others can be bought from electrical shops like Chan Huat in Balestier ~ $40

Does the 400Ws run more yellow than the 250Ws???

What about the difference between the 400W and 250W Radiums??

And

Is it a neccessity to have the gear box(casing) for the Ballast...

• SRC Member

I believe the bulbs are similar between the wattages, at least colour wise. The differences are due to the different type of ballast used to drive them, resulting in a different output.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

robe,

is the ballast u mentioned "core and coil" type ?? cos someone quoted me a Elbiru Electronic Ballast for 250w is ~$240. when i ask him whether it can run HQI bulb, he started to tell me all the ANSI stories. ... ;);) which i start to get confuse again ...

Spade,

Need to do calculations on your payback period for the electronic ballast as compared to magnetic ballast. Typically for 250w the magnetic ballast consumes around 275w not so sure of the electronic ballast but I would think that its at least 250w. 25w x 10h/day = 0.25 kwh/day x 365 = 91.25 kwh/yr. @say $0.18/kwh annual savings is $16.42/yr.

Payback period is 240-40 =$200/16.42= 12 years. Electronic ballasts will only last a few years ~3-5 in ideal conditions. You wont get your money back. Even u increase the difference in watts to 50 u still need 6 years to breakeven.

Previouslywhen I was in facilties operation FLelectronic ballast will break down in 3-4 years some even less if the ambient temperature is not ideal. If yo put a fan to cool it down then u subtract from your electrical savings plus ur fan needs replacement evry year or so due to bearing problems.

• SRC Member

Hello

Have read thru' the whole tread on this subject but still a bit blur.

Suppose I get a 2nd hand 150W MH system with everything including ballest, bulb, etc.

The only problem is that the bulb is only 4000K which is not suitable for marine.

Question is, can I just go and buy a 150W MH 10,000K bulb, plug in and it will work?

Or, must I provide certain specifications other than the wattage, colour (K) and mount-type? BTW, what are double-ended types called?

Also, where can I get good and economical bulbs?

Many thanks!

:)

• SRC Member

LR,

Is the 150W setup you bought double-ended? If it is then it is very likely that it will run any 10000K double-ended bulb of the correct wattage.

post-36-1093875548.jpg