Mantis Shrimp!!!

• SRC Member

Ahh!!! Help!!!

Found a couple mantis shrimps hidden in the crevices of my liverocks. Understand their reputation sucks!

Any inkling as to how to trap them?

What damge would they cause?

Tried finding a thread about it but dun think it is detailed enough.

Gurus out there...please? :cry2:

Ahh!!! Help!!!

Found a couple mantis shrimps hidden in the crevices of my liverocks. Understand their reputation sucks!

Any inkling as to how to trap them?

What damge would they cause?

Tried finding a thread about it but dun think it is detailed enough.

Gurus out there...please? :cry2:

Go to this lick and learnt more about mantis shrimp and also trapping it...

http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/week...y/aa110498d.htm

• SRC Member

Thanks DA...for such a speedy reply...

On second thoughts after looking through the photos, dun really resemble what I have in the rock.

Mine have a pair of hairy feelers each, whitish pincers and 'antennae-like' eyes but can't tell the body as they refuse to reveal more of themselves...Maybe boh cheng kor.. :P

Anyway, apprehensive about them as know nuts as to what they would do with my fish and mushrooms. :cry2:

Can't take a picture as they retract into their holes when I go near. They are only like half a green bean size with their pincers and eyes sections. How? Ring a bell? :erm:

On second thoughts after looking through the photos, dun really resemble what I have in the rock.

Mine have a pair of hairy feelers each, whitish pincers and 'antennae-like' eyes but can't tell the body as they refuse to reveal more of themselves...Maybe boh cheng kor.. :P

Anyway, apprehensive about them as know nuts as to what they would do with my fish and mushrooms. :cry2:

Can't take a picture as they retract into their holes when I go near. They are only like half a green bean size with their pincers and eyes sections. How? Ring a bell? :erm:

Did you have any live stock loss and btw they are many kinds of mantis .........

• SRC Member

Nup. only got the rock just now. Just dun want to wait till tomolo. All my fish are my beloved ones...dear to me...Wouldn't be able to sleep tonight thinking about the risk I put them in. Sigh.... :cry2:

• SRC Member

if u know which LR he hides in.. then take it out n set it up on a hi-ball cup(in a seperate tank) leave the rock there overnite(maybe leave some food as bait on the base of the tank).. hopefully by tomorrow morning the "mantis" will crawl out to get the food n got trap(cant climb up the smooth surface cup to the LR)......

or is that a sea spider u saw?

• SRC Member

One way of telling whether there is mantis shrimp is by the "clicking" sound that they made. Of course, pistol shrimps also make the same noise - so as to double confirm, fish/coral loss will be the answer. What I have read is that they literally eat anything that is available and edible to them. A master in hiding (they are great at digging holes) and preying, there's limited choices you'll have catching them. As what Razo has mentioned, identifying the LR which the mantis hide is important - you will have to take the particular LR out and catch it. :)

flubberina13, as far as I read, I dun think yours is a mantis - mantis do not own any pincers, as least for the one that I am keeping separately now (peacock mantis). You should be seeing 2 visible flaps at the side of the body instead for the case of a smasher mantis. Just my 2 cents ... :)

• SRC Member

Sigh...only managed to catch a crab and indeed!!! One mantis. Think that's couple more so rather not risk it so put the liverock into spare tank and if they really crawl out, will snap at them! :P

thanks anyway... :D

• SRC Member
Sigh...only managed to catch a crab and indeed!!! One mantis. Think that's couple more so rather not risk it so put the liverock into spare tank and if they really crawl out, will snap at them!  :P

thanks anyway... :D

is that a sea spider u saw? instead of MS?

post-21-1062517458.jpg

• SRC Member

Nar...not this...really mantis...Thank god. remove the rock fast. Hope no damage has been done, as in the shrimps had come out from their crevices and infiltrate my other rocks OTHERWISE...

WOE BEHOLD ME...

:cry2::cry2::cry2:

The last time my tank had a mantis...I took the rock out of the tank...placed it in a plastic pail...Took a long thin metal spatula...inserted it into its lair...and poked the guts out of it. :angel:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

I got 3 of what u have described. I lost 1 blue damsel. the tail is badly damaged. It was swimming happily in the morning, dead in the evening. saw MS around the corpse. suspect it was the criminal... so put it under arrest... "interrogated" and tested and found guilty. So, charge with capital punishment......

will show u the pictures of the creature later.... let me take some pictures. btw, how to reduce the pict size?

MS is very very hardy. I actually cyclede my tank with it for 3 months without fish or coral. just LR.

It seems reproduced quite fast.

• SRC Member

I got 3 of what u have described. I lost 1 blue damsel. the tail is badly damaged. It was swimming happily in the morning, dead in the evening. saw MS around the corpse. suspect it was the criminal... so put it under arrest... "interrogated" and tested and found guilty. So, charge with capital punishment......

will show u the pictures of the creature later.... let me take some pictures. btw, how to reduce the pict size?

MS is very very hardy. I actually cyclede my tank with it for 3 months without fish or coral. just LR.

It seems reproduced quite fast.

wheres the pic?