17 cm Nano

Plenum

• SRC Member

Here's a nano that i set up recently. Live rock, sand & water from my 4ft. Got the tank as a birthday present from my wife. Photo to compare the size. Have moved the clam back to my 4 foot as the light's not sufficient. Have added a boxer & harlequin shrimp since. Comments welcomed.

post-69-1108459164.jpg

Your calcium level will drop very fast in such a small tank as your clams will suck the cal - once it drop the PH will also follow suit. I tried a tank slightly bigger than yours ... about 10 gallon ... I have to change 1/2 the tank water weekly .... I only kept 1 pipe fish and 1 boxfish... with no coral ... I tried not changing the water for 2 weeks .. both of them didn't make it. It really takes alot of effort for such a small tank ... you have to keep up with the husbandry ... no time slackening ...

Good luck on your beautiful reef... :)

• SRC Member

Thanks for the comments. I have moved the clam back to my main tank as it was not opening up fully. Not sure if insufficient light, or water parameter not right. I change about 1/2 tank water weekly. Can notice the difference with water change. The corals would open up more! Am thinking of adding a box fish to it soon but not sure if advisable. or Sea horse?

Thanks for the comments. I have moved the clam back to my main tank as it was not opening up fully. Not sure if insufficient light, or water parameter not right. I change about 1/2 tank water weekly. Can notice the difference with water change. The corals would open up more! Am thinking of adding a box fish to it soon but not sure if advisable. or Sea horse?

the clam u hv, might not be able to withstand the high temp in the nano tank.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

sorry the shrimp i got inside is ###### shrimp... not sure of name lah. I wanted to put in a cleaner & blood shrimp but found those on sale to be too big. Thinking of adding a box fish or the golden goby.

Not intending to put a fan as will look very messy... like some kind of science experiment... my 4 foot already look like that.

• SRC Member

boxer & ###### shrimp can meh??

sorry ah..i very loh soh..but really boxer is ferocious... box fish will nip at corals but they are really cute when small...

its really a hard choice sometimes...

i saw this tank & light sold at sam yick...when i touch the tank it was pretty hot leh..yah anyway ur tank so small..not really justifiable to put a ac cooling fan..looks ugly too.. :lol:

• SRC Member

yes the boxer shrimp is quite aggressive. But its got its own corner, unless the ###### shrimp goes into its territory then will strike but sao far still peace.

Was thinking about additional lifestock and may not get the box fish. Tank so small if mati then sure crash big time. Now deciding between the golden goby or purple fire fish... but the fire fish abit too big though. Any suggestions for small but coloutful fish???

• SRC Member

no le... i can find the citrus goby from liveaquaria.com, but cannot find the griessingeri goby that diabolus talking about. Went I aquarium yesterday but the citrus goby there like quite big.

Just found out yesterday that my maiden's hair coral like not doing well also. The green hair like turning transparent. any advise thre???