Re : Selling my entire setup :(

Archer82

Hi bros,

Would just like to find out how much I can sell a 3" by 2" by 2.5" 12mm tank with overflow and sump tank for...am planning on giving up as I can't stand the stress from parents and siblings who don't appreciate this hobby and consider it just as a waste of money and effort....

The tank was just recently bought in dec and is only about 2 months old effectively. Sump same age and with dimensions 2 feet by 20 inches by 18 inches.

I built a cabinet myself around a wrought iron stand.

Lifestock I have :

1: 1 3 inch yellow tang

2: 2 tomato clowns...1 about 2.5 inches and another about an inch

3: 1 1 inch black back butterfly

4: 1 blue damsel

5: 2 striped damsels

6: 1 4 inch purple coloured damsel

7: 1 goby ( dunno what species) its about 3 inches

8: 2 cleaner shrimps and 1 boxer shrimp

Corals :

1 colony goniopora bout the size of a clenched fist

3 pieces leather coral

3 anemones, 1 saddle, 1 tube anemone and the other I don't know

2 colonies of mushies, green and multicolored

LR :

Close to 60 kg (estimated ) will sell at $4/kg...not coralline algae encrusted.

Equipment :

2 MH 250w sets..for details see my earlier posts

Return pump not for sale

2 dolphin pumps for circulation

1 betta box used to train fishes

Also have some additives and stuff..will pm that later or alteranatively give it free.

That's about it for now...I don't have pics to put up but if anyone is interested do pm me with your requested item and the price you quote for it...I put in a lot of effort for this setup so pls be reasonable. The fishes are healthy and all of them are eating well.

First to go will be the rocks....I want to reduce it to nearly half then sell the fishes as I don't want to stress them up by chasing them all over. Or maybe I may arrange to sell the lifestock and rocks on the same day.

Those who want to view the setup can pm me about it. I'll be home during the weekend.

I'm very very upset to give up this hobby as I put my heart and soul into it but sometimes when you're the only person fighting for something with no back-up it tends to break you up.

Archer

PS : Please pm me about the requested things you want and keep this thread as clean as possible. I will update the thread about requests but do note that I will only sell when most of the items have been reserved.

Hi All,

Do note that I'll sell the setup only if reasonable offers come up otherwise may decide to carry on.

Just thought I'd add this to prevent any miscommunication or frustration.

BTW a bro just msged me purely to encourage me on then to give up. I really appreciate that and I'm so very glad I have pple here to spur me on :)

• SRC Member

so wat are u waiting for?

close the thread!!!

my family and lovely are discouraging me on reefing...

but who gonna give a shit if Im the one making the decision and supporting it on my own.

well... just my thought of it and you are not alone and I'm backing u up.

I'm sure reefers here are too.

so chill bro.

carry on with reefing. =)

sincerely,

LaW

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member
as I can't stand the stress from parents and siblings who don't appreciate this hobby and consider it just as a waste of money and effort....

Cheer up bro :

i understand how u feel...all fellow reefers do have similar setbacks especially from distaff sides..i mean the women...in our lives.

just dont give up in what u have struggled for..building a reef indoors is not easy...where a lot of time and money is put in!!!

but if you really want to sell ur stuff i may offer reasonable price...do contact me....

don't loose hope, if you are happy with what you are doing, then go ahead..

good luck and upzz for your sales if any....!!! :bow:

As fish are caught in a cruel net or birds are taken in a snare,so men are trapped by evil times that fall unexpectedly upon them.Ecc 9:12

Hi All,

I have decided NOT to sell anything as looking at the msges posted and the pms sent to me, the majority of the people have expressed that I should carry on...and I will.

To all the people who motivated me to this decision :

When I decided to sell off everything I was rather serious about it but you pple here have changed my mind and I appreciate that very much.

My apologies to those who wanted to buy things and msged me.

Finally I have to say this....

THANKS ALOT GUYS !!!

Thread closed :)

• SRC Member

Bro i agree if u dont have the support of your family, it wont be easy. u cant go for holidays and stuff, cos nobody will take care of the tank for u.

I see u have taken a practical decision and i think its brave and wise. It is better to exit the hobby while u are not too deep in it in terms of $$$ and time, rather than delve further only to find that the satisfaction you gain comes at a cost.

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11

• SRC Member

cheers~

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

Bro, this is a beautiful hobby. I find it would be a waste if you give up now. My parents also thinks that its a waste of time and money to sustain this hobby. But after some time, my mum begans to find the tank beautiful the more she looks at it. Now, after 1 year in this hobby, my family's thought towards this hobby has changed! They even encouraged me to upgrade my tank.

So be strong and keep this hobby. ITS BEAUTIFUL!

Yes bro Creetin,

I am aware that there are dire consequences if you go against your family and I am very much prepared to not go overseas as I just love the feeling of knowing you have a piece of the ocean in your room.

I have also learnt alot through the marine hobby and hope to one day pursue a field of study relevant to this hobby.

As such I feel that giving up just like that is going to leave me very unsatisfied.

Couple that with a few SC reefers' opinions that I should carry on and there you have a die hard reefer in the making :)

Cheers Bro

Archer

• SRC Member

hahahahaaa...

things aren't that bad as it seem to be actually...

dunno about ur family behavior and stuff...

but... for my family, although my parents didnt like me spending time on reef, they still helped me to maintain my tank while im at overseas. even for 3 months.

but of course... my tank's condition did turn abit bad when i came back..

but still appreciated that they go for the extra mile to help their child.

anyway, welcome back =)

glad to see u "back" again

cheers~

• SRC Member

Thank God I got the support of my wife in this hobby... both financially and mentally....

It took me two years to get her equally excited in this hobby... now she dun call them Nemos but the proper clownfish term (including the subspecies!!!).... :lol::D

Patience is what u need.... to win them over....

Anyway, how are u coping with ur livestocks? Are they doing well? Is that why u are not getting the support of ur family... cause they may be frustrated when u are constantly "remedying" this or that...

Hmmpphh... I thought u juz completed cycling??? As per thread in "Swop shop" Section..... and u are looking to add more corals??? :huh::huh:

• SRC Member

... thats wonderful seamonkee.

wish to see my lovely has the same behavior like ur wife's.

always got nag by her for every dollar I spend on reef...

envy, I am...

warmest regards,

LaW

The fishes are doing well...none have fallen ill whatsoever, in fact they are growing fat..the leather were expanding well too until my butterfly fish started nipping occasionally at them. My skimmer is a jebo skimmer...am planning to upgrade and also get a CR :) I change water once as month, about 60 litres

Pls keep your opinions flowing pple... (might just decide to print out this thread and keep it for motivation hehe )

Cheers

Hmm, no bro I haven't really been remedying anything...no smells, no unexpected nonsense, nothing....just alot of noise about space and the money spent, even though everthing was done on my own cash...have even told my parents I'd pay $50 every month to make up for the extra water and electricity. My yellow tang had ich once but that disappeared the next day ( surprised me too ! ) It's doing great now eating like a pig.

• SRC Member
The fishes are doing well...none have fallen ill whatsoever, in fact they are growing fat..the leather were expanding well too until my butterfly fish started nipping occasionally at them. My skimmer is a jebo skimmer...am planning to upgrade and also get a CR :) I change water once as month, about 60 litres

Pls keep your opinions flowing pple... (might just decide to print out this thread and keep it for motivation hehe ) 

Cheers

butterfly fishes are not reef safe.... ;)

Sorry to sound blunt... but looking at what u keep and ur thread in "Swop Shop".... I figured u are still pretty new to this hobby...

This hobby requires lots of reading up, patience and proper know-hows.... It took me 3 years and I still consider myself a newbie in this area.... (Still learning new things).... That's why my present new tank was on the drawing board for a good one year (until some people thought I was only big talk and no action... :lol::D )

Think about this possibility.... Maybe ur family members are frustrated cause u did not establish ur tank in the right and patient way.... just a possibility lah....

Why am I saying this.... because I myself have been through that... just sharing my own experience.... my wife (then gf) was frustrated with my initial 2 ft tank setup cause I was rushing it really impatiently... (getting the wrong equipment, mixing the wrong fishes, adding the wrong additives, dying corals)... to a point that she asked me to give up.... cause I AM WASTING TIME AND MONEY.... even though it was my money then...

I proved it to her by taking a step back.... having sold off my 2 footer... I gave myself another year to do some more voracious readings and planning for the new 5 foot tank (in my new house).....

Through this period, she gained her faith in me as I explained to her what I planned to do for the tank.... (in context of energy saving, decor for the new house, towards less time maintenance, what we plan to keep.... these are the things they like to hear.....)

With clear objectives and showing it that my focus is on energy and time saving... she contributed and devote money for better equipments!!!! To my amazement....

No offence if I sounded too blunt or offending...

• SRC Member

cool... thanks for that advice.

regards,

LaW

hehe yes bro I am aware butterflys are not reef safe...I tried training him in a betta box...he was okie for the first few days but as for now...Iam still abserving him. You are not blunt by the way..just frank and to the point..I think that's better then beating around the bush.

I like the butterfly though so am still giving him time otherwise shd be giving him away. He eats pellets and prawn and I noticed he pecks only when these are not there.

Hopefully habit will win over instinct...

• SRC Member

Time is what it takes my dear friend. My girlfriend hated the sights of my marine tank in the very first place complaining that it makes the floor sticky, its troublesome and this and that.. you know lah girls thats what they always complained about.

After 6mths of sticking with me and watching me do up the tank, she in turn got hooked too. Not only that, she even started her own 2ft tank keeping frog fishes and anglers.. haha...

So be strong and patient. Hate to see a reefer leaving the hobby.

Back then, my wife helped me carry a very heavy 5ft tank back for my first marine tank, helped me clean and wash the sand for my old DSB, helped me mix saltwater, massaged my aching back after aquascaping, mopped the floor etc when we started this marine hobby together.... ;)

Today, she totally bo chup about what I do for the tank... occasional complaints of neglect (her), overspending (not on her), sticky floor (now I mop or the maid) and high maintenance bills (not on her).... :lol:

You have to train your partner... ;)