Alage invasion....

• SRC Member

Hey fellow seniors,

can u please help me to indentify this alage...im not sure whether this is cynao.

Anyway, if that so. I have install my FR and running with Purphos from Aquaz.

Have done a 20-30% of water change. Reduce my photoperiod, reduce all my feedings too. Skimmer been running and just clean it.

Recently, PO4 measures at 0.25 and NO3 at 20ppm.

Questions:

Is it true that once PO4 stops at 0, these alage will stop producing?

Must i control my NO3 to less than 10ppm?

Must i removed manually all my current alage or just leave it? Will it just disappear? I have read thru certain doucments on these issues, and some commented that i must removed carefully or else the pores will fall on other areas and caused more spreading.

Thats all for now and thanks for your perious time and help!

• SRC Member

yup, it's cyanobacteria. gd that u have run ur FR. it's the cause of detectable PO4 in ur tank. High nitrate that those algae like. Under these 2 conditions, algae seems to do very well, so u might wan to reduce ur PO4 and NO3 further. u can also try to siphon the top layer of ur sand off to get rid the cyano.

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

thanks bro,

Ya, will remove some of it today. Monitoring my cynao...btw, u mentioned "algae seems to do very well". What do u mean? Enlighten me please...what can i see if things (Po4,NO3) goes well.....am i right to say the alage will just disappear?

• SRC Member

ya bro, just bought FR and purphos...now broke...saw that red slime removal....cost abt $28 .....maybe will buy in later part...now using FR and skimmer to reduce/ control the problems...btw, any good place to get a better rate on these soluton? and thanks for your advices!

• SRC Member

yes, algae need nitrate and PO4 to do well in a tank, tat's why alot of us bought some caulepa algae and pump in our sump, as those algae will take up the nitrate and nutrients b4 any other nuisance algae have the chance. just make sure u get these 2 parameters right, reduce ur lighting, in my opinion there's no need to get the red slime remover. Just continue to run ur FR, not sure abt purphos, but am sure rowa works wonder.

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

That is cyano in the beginning stages,

Improving water quality (with lower nutrients)is a main step - leaving the algae with less fuel for growth. With PO4 & NO3 at zero you may still find cyano.(as many ppl have)

This is because Rocks and sand(substrate) act as a sink. Cyano will grow over these surfaces until that runs out then die off by itself. All this while the water should have low nutrients(or very very low levels,near zero) so that the algae has nothing else to use up and will go away in a few weeks to a month or two.

For a new tank- there is no way you can avoid the first cyano outbreak (it may come in the first month or in the first year).

Siphoning off whatever you can helps keep it in small patches, but you have to keep doing it till it goes away. If water changes are done during this time- the new water should be nutrient free too- or you fuel the cyano.

IMO, cyano is part & parcel of life. Looking after your water will stop future outbreaks.

If you use red slime, becareful of low oxygen levels. Increase aeration or water circulation during treatment.

• SRC Member
yes, algae need nitrate and PO4 to do well in a tank, tat's why alot of us bought some caulepa algae and pump in our sump, as those algae will take up the nitrate and nutrients b4 any other nuisance algae have the chance. just make sure u get these 2 parameters right, reduce ur lighting, in my opinion there's no need to get the red slime remover. Just continue to run ur FR, not sure abt purphos, but am sure rowa works wonder.

as u menetioned using "caulepa algae" i was intending too in the first place, but when i heard them saying that i need to on 24/7 for my lightings on these, which i think it's impossible for the time begin...i was looking for rowa but it seems out of stock and as u know, ever since "kanna" this thing..i was in a hurried to get some replacement media...but i will stick back to rowa once the stocks arrived.... anyway, now "bo piang"...still controlling these sickening pest.... ;)

• SRC Member
That is cyano in the beginning stages,

Improving water quality (with lower nutrients)is a main step - leaving the algae with less fuel for growth. With PO4 & NO3 at zero you may still find cyano.(as many ppl have)

This is because Rocks and sand(substrate) act as a sink. Cyano will grow over these surfaces until that runs out then die off by itself. All this while the water should have low nutrients(or very very low levels,near zero) so that the algae has nothing else to use up and will go away in a few weeks to a month or two.

For a new tank- there is no way you can avoid the first cyano outbreak (it may come in the first month or in the first year).

Siphoning off whatever you can helps keep it in small patches, but you have to keep doing it till it goes away. If water changes are done during this time- the new water should be nutrient free too- or you fuel the cyano.

IMO, cyano is part & parcel of life. Looking after your water will stop future outbreaks.

If you use red slime, becareful of low oxygen levels. Increase aeration or water circulation during treatment.

yes sir! ;) will take note of that...right now, using FR and monitoring my water parameters are the main objectives....hope that these things can be control! :lol:

any other issues that i need to take note.....it seems that NO3 is very hard to lower down...read on some reefers dosing "vodka" "surgar" ..... it may work for the time begin....but how abt in long term? Getting another piece of equipment to lower down nitrate (is that a best solutions?)...... me ponders.....

• SRC Member
The best way to lower IMHO is getting a better skimmer that can extract all the DOCs before they have a chance to break down into NO3. If your skimmer is up to the task , you will have 0 NO3. :)

yes i know that....so saving up $$$ to get a better skimmer.... :lol:

• SRC Member
:peace: LOok at the bright side bro..ITs not the end for this kind...Unleast its like mine, till choco colour..but id di manageed to combat it..so u must do so....Good water husbary is wad u need now. :rolleyes:

yes, so nice to hear that :thanks: ..anway, im really calm on these problems, as i know that having a marine tank is diff from the others. It part of parcel of having these hobby... :lol: at least, once i got it settle, i know what to do if it happens again! So no worries at all....at least, i find it challenging and fun!!!! :yeah: