Cleaner Wrasse in captivity?

How long has a cleaner wrasse on average lives in your tank?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How long has a cleaner wrasse on average lives in your tank?

• 2 weeks or less
    • 1 month
    • 2 month
    • 3 month
    • 6 month
    • 1 year
    • 2 years or more

• SRC Member

Would like to see how long can a cleaner wrasse do well in captivity. It is well known that cleaner wrasse do badly in our tanks. But would like to see how badly. Maybe it can help to prevent people from buying more cleaner wrasses and seeing more of them die in our tanks :(

i think once u can make it start feeding, everything shld be alrite...

Not always like that bro, as my experience, cleaner fish is not hard to eat, but since this fish is mostly caught by cyanide, so this fish is like to eat soon after introduce to the tank.

You need experience in choosing this fish plus luck that this fish is not suffer by cyanide. My cleaner is already live more than a years and eat on pellets, live/frozen mysis shrimp and of course fish mucus/parasite.

• SRC Member

i kept mine for 6mths b4 selling it off. I do agree that once it started to eat, it will be much easier to keep. when i started out, my water parameters is not tat gd, but my cleaner wrasse's not dead. i also dun quite understand why they are sensitive and dun do well in captivity. But for one thing they are definately more hard working than the lazy bum cleaner shrimp. They still do their job even though they feed. unlike the latter. My experience. :)

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

Besides cyanide poisoning, I wonder people get cleaner wrasse to help cleaning up white spots on their fishes, it may be the time water quality of the tank is not that good. As it is quite sensitive to poor water quality, most of them would not survive long. :(

IME, cleaner fish will not help to cure or even prevent the exsistence of white spot or oodinium in ur tank, it is more likely to eat on fish mucus or parasite that more bugs alike than diseases alike (WS are diseases). I've ever lost a fish because of WS diseases, i saw that the cleaner is not interested in cleaning that fish from WS, while the cleaner is still do a cleaning service with other healthy fish.