2nd Review Of Weipro Skimmer 2012

tivoli

• SRC Member
I noticed on your H&S skimmer you put an air tube with clamp to restrict air going in? how does this help?

Thats the amazing thing about H&S. While other skimmers are busy trying to get more air into the unit for more bubbles, H&S has way way too much air going in such that you have to restrict the air in so it does not overflood the unit.

If I simply let the air tube fully open, I would get so much bubbles that it would flood in minutes. And all this without using any air pump. Just the powerhead that came with it....ie a 18W aquabee.

If only I could get the cylinder to be slightly taller, this skimmer would be even more efficient.

The skimmate you see is what it collects in 5 days. I need to wash my skimmer every 5 days to clear the thick smelly goo. Its thick and I need to use my hands to actually scrape it off all sides. :sick::sick::sick:

And when I wash it, the whole house will know! :P

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Thats the amazing thing about H&S. While other skimmers are busy trying to get more air into the unit for more bubbles, H&S has way way too much air going in such that you have to restrict the air in so it does not overflood the unit.

If I simply let the air tube fully open, I would get so much bubbles that it would flood in minutes. And all this without using any air pump. Just the powerhead that came with it....ie a 18W aquabee.

If only I could get the cylinder to be slightly taller, this skimmer would be even more efficient.

The skimmate you see is what it collects in 5 days. I need to wash my skimmer every 5 days to clear the thick smelly goo. Its thick and I need to use my hands to actually scrape it off all sides. :sick::sick::sick:

And when I wash it, the whole house will know! :P

wow... impressive skimmate.. :)

• SRC Member

Just got my H&S skimmer and can't wait to set it up ASAP. Now doing the down flow pipe with T-joint for the skimmer

post-14-1063084920.jpg

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

• SRC Member
Wow,

impressive skimmer H&S skimmer.

CookieMonster : what is the size of your tank ?

Yes but I always dread washing it. It really really stinks very bad. And my parents always complain of the smell when I'm washing it.

My dad even worries its very very toxic and full of bacteria. Which begins to get me worried too. I wouldn't touch it with an open wound.

My tank is a 4x2.25x2ft tank.

Hotsoup: You really won't regret it. Show us the skimmate once it breaks in. Should take only 3 days max to break in.

• SRC Member
Hi sharkbait,

I don't thank the type of pump matters

cos the water level is controlled by a water level

valve that you can adjust.

Anyway I am using a cheap taiwan-made 2500l/hr dolphin.

Cheers

Dear tivoli

I saw a similar but 1500 l/hr dolphin pump you mentioned today. According to the cover spec, 2500 l/hr is 80watts. So you are using a 80W (2500 l/hr) for the PS? Thanks for clarifying. I am interested to know bcos I am very impressed with the kopi-o ur ps make, am thinking of changing my pump as well. :thanks::thanks:

• SRC Member

No problem CM, Just finished the out flow piping and now planning careful for my in-flow piping to my main tank. I think yr is a smaller version,m i right?

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

• SRC Member
hey guys, how long did ur weipro break in??? mine has been a week...and its still not skimming anything???

help????

try adjusting the surface higher up to the narrow neck column.... get some green tea first to help kick off the skimmer....

slowly fine-tune it after that.... worked for me ;)

• SRC Member

try adjusting the surface higher up to the narrow neck column.... get some green tea first to help kick off the skimmer....

slowly fine-tune it after that.... worked for me ;)

when i fine tune it a little more, it overflows....it fine tube it down...it dun skim anything...

argh!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

jc85: its a protein skimmer, nothing to do with surface skimmer.

junyong: you must fine tune till the water level reaches near the O-ring (narrow neck), then let it be, don't tune anymore, cuz you tune more it will surely overflow. and you need a bit of dexterity to fine tune it, ie, twist the knob by mm or something in displacement.

Dear tivoli

I saw a similar but 1500 l/hr dolphin pump you mentioned today. According to the cover spec, 2500 l/hr is 80watts. So you are using a 80W (2500 l/hr) for the PS? Thanks for clarifying. I am interested to know bcos I am very impressed with the kopi-o ur ps make, am thinking of changing my pump as well. :thanks::thanks:

I'm using eheim 1060 (50watts 2250l/h) on weipro 1014. I've to close (>1/2) the ball valve prior to the inlet of pump, and fully open the skimmer height adjustment.

Wonder how you use 2500l/h (80watts) on 1012 without overflowing the collection cup?

• SRC Member

I doubt its 80W for 2000+ L flow lah, 80W is really a lot!

I am using 2012 with a 2500L pump and also my return pump has the excess flow channelled to the skimmer too, so approx 2600 or 2800L. my return valve on skimmer is approx half closed.

crab: I"m hypothesizing but the flow inside the skimmer is such that water flows in a circular fashion, and this helps to create a whirlpool effect such that water is also somewhat slightly sucked out of the skimmer thru the centre tube? so even tho the flow is higher and faster but it doesn't overflow the skimmer cuz suction force also greater? donno, just guessing.

hey guys, how long did ur weipro break in??? mine has been a week...and its still not skimming anything???

help????

erm...i thought you mentioned in your earlier post that you were skimmy brown liquid?

"i cant get the black liquid...its juz brown liquid...argh!"

Just got my H&S skimmer and can't wait to set it up ASAP. Now doing the down flow pipe with T-joint for the skimmer

Hi,

My tank is a 3.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 ft.

Interested in the H&S skimmers.

Any other recommendations from the experienced guys here? I would like those in-line skimmers. What about AquaC? Need to know where to buy and how much.

Thanks. :eyeblur:

• SRC Member

hello bros.

just to get advise, when looking at the capacity of the

protein skimmer, if i intend to put the skimmer in my sump,

do i consider the volume of the sump + main tank? or just the

volume of the sump? any advise?

1. Via-Aqua MultiSkimmer - $25.00

2. DIY Kalk Reactor - $25.00

3. Atman Protein Skimmer - $25.00

PM Me if interested.