Nano "Zen" Tank

seamonkee

• SRC Member

Today hand itchy so took out this small nano tank in my storeroom and lights and set this up...

So went to the florist and got me some raw bamboo (not chemically treated)... also went down to the aquarium shop to get some black sand...

The black round pebbles were from my store room too... Did some sawing work on the bamboo and fasten them to stone (to prevent the bamboos from floating)...

Viola! A "Zen" Fish tank which I plan to keep a fighting fish... probably those white colour one with long fins...

It's set up next to my PC...

What do you guys think? :lol:

post-11-1115217421.jpg

• SRC Member

Close up shot... ;)

Not sure to put this in member's tank or whatever since it is not a marine tank... so put it here instead...

post-11-1115217505.jpg

• SRC Member

Setup is next to my PC... tank is only 1 ft by 0.5ft by 0.tft...

Wonder will it work cause water a bit "greenish" looking liao..... :lol:

post-11-1115217622.jpg

• SRC Member
Cool tank, bro... :yeah:

U may need to be careful with the bamboo though as it might rot over time.

This is one nano tank w a cheapo production... so the risk is marginal... haha...

Bamboo costing me less than $5 and the black sand for $2 a pack...

So what am I risking? If bamboo rot the most I lost one betta... :lol::D I heard bettas are tough buggers too....

But my 5ft marine tank is a different story altogether... I wun play play with that.... :lol::D

wah bro, i am impressed leh. . really zen man. .

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member
wow.... cool tank, u r so artistic :bow: instead of betta, maybe u can put in the neon fish (blue n red) 30 pcs of them will look great given the background

Cardinal tetras you mean... They are nice but that means I have to add a pump because they are not surface breathers....

One reason why I chose betta is because it is a surface breather and thus I dun really need a pump....

On top of that, a single fish can bring out the contrast the tank needed... Maybe one that is shocking red.... ;)

• SRC Member

This white crowntail betta will make a great contrast to the black sand and pebbles.... :D

I wonder how much one of these cost....

post-11-1115224590.jpg

With a little photoshop.... :lol:

looks quite real leh. . :D

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

the idea of nice fish is that the nicer the fish... the harder to keep....

IMHO.... this white, black, bright red bettas will lose colour and nice finnage if water quality no good...

i did try bettas for awhile... they do require clean water too.... ie... water change everyday... lagi best...

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member
This white crowntail betta will make a great contrast to the black sand and pebbles.... :D

I wonder how much one of these cost....

wah... bro... this fish can cost till 200+ if u get the pure white 1s

• SRC Member

wah... bro... this fish can cost till 200+ if u get the pure white 1s

Really ah.... then I settle for the bright red one...

Today hand itchy so took out this small nano tank in my storeroom and lights and set this up...

So went to the florist and got me some raw bamboo (not chemically treated)... also went down to the aquarium shop to get some black sand...

The black round pebbles were from my store room too... Did some sawing work on the bamboo and fasten them to stone (to prevent the bamboos from floating)...

Viola! A "Zen" Fish tank which I plan to keep a fighting fish... probably those white colour one with long fins...

It's set up next to my PC...

What do you guys think? :lol:

very style :yeah:

• SRC Member

go c328 or sembawang shopping centre. they have solid betta. If keep neon tetra, just need a small hang on filter will do, no need air pump. ;) my betta which has since retired. Cost, $1.20. cheap.

post-11-1115264549.jpg

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

Really ah.... then I settle for the bright red one...

bro... go for plakat... easier to keep... haha.... some more look for titanium colour 1s.... haha.... dun go for bronze colour... haha

actually u can go to the fighting fish farm at pr also near ah beng's farm.... find double tail 1s when fully open looks like a heart shape... veri nice... or full moon or find those crown tail that split 2 times think if remember correct its call 4 rays... instead of those normal 2 rays that split only 1 time....

remember to get a mirror for it to see its reflections and let it open its finage often... if too long nvr open the finage will start to sag... then it will be veri ugly liao.... and hor.. so many big stones later the shit stuck in between then rot... remember to siphon the shit out everyday which is recommended by most the hard core betta keeper....

here is a singapore betta club forum....

http://www.bettaclub.org.sg

• SRC Member

Thanks....

Stones are strategically placed to ensure no holes or whatsoever... I will siphon the tank and do water change everyday...

Doing water change for my 5footer marine tank makes changing water for this 1 foot nano betta tank like chicken feet... :lol::D

My previous 2 footer african chiclid tank already "Kao Pe Kao Bu" when I change water.... seems like my 5footer marine is teaching me a lot about patience... :lol::D

• SRC Member
With a little photoshop.... :lol:

Well done! I like it very much. :)

I also thought Bettas "enjoy" the stagnant water. Afterall, I often see them in shops

confined to a tiny jar with no filter or aeration whatsoever.

Didn't know you need to change water everyday. If so, then I think the novelty of it

would wear out very fast. Too troublesome leh ... :erm:

• SRC Member

I have reduced the number of bamboo and move them to one side.... less cluttered this way... For easier water change and stuff.... ;)

As per willimanmuk, yeah I agree... once the novelty wears out.. it's dismantle and rescaping time... :lol::D

Anyway, I'm not sure bamboo in water really works or not... or will it affect the fish in anyway.... I am leaving it fishless for few days to see if the bamboo affects the water in colour or anything else...

post-11-1115275148.jpg