From DSB to BB

• SRC Member

There are more and more reefers switching from DSB to BB system

So far , how many reefers here have make a switch from DSB to BB

system in your sps tank?

Wat are the things to watch out for in order not to stress the corals :o

All comments welcome thanks :D

• SRC Member

Me thinking from DSB to Minium Sand Bad so won't ugly :)

IMO , BB and minimum SB should be the same

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

Skim wet... up the flow in your tank... think the point is to use remove the organics before they can breakdown again into NO3 and PO4... if you can help it.. try 'cooking' your live rocks for a good beginning... and buy lots of snails to eat the algae... think if you employ a UV, that would seal it...

difficult to stress the corals... it is IMHO a great deal better, the adv. o/w cons... the but the initial start may require you to work a little harder, you'll need to syphon out the sand, which sheds out from the rocks for the 1st month or so... meaning you'll hv to standby seawater as you'll lose a great deal of water... also the wet skimming takes out more water... be prepared for that.

BB n loving every second of it.

post-22-1115538831.jpg

Skim wet... up the flow in your tank... think the point is to use remove the organics before they can breakdown again into NO3 and PO4... if you can help it.. try 'cooking' your live rocks for a good beginning... and buy lots of snails to eat the algae... think if you employ a UV, that would seal it...

difficult to stress the corals... it is IMHO a great deal better, the adv. o/w cons... the but the initial start may require you to work a little harder, you'll need to syphon out the sand, which sheds out from the rocks for the 1st month or so... meaning you'll hv to standby seawater as you'll lose a great deal of water... also the wet skimming takes out more water... be prepared for that.

BB n loving every second of it.

Hi, How long have you converted? Whats the NO3 measurement? Does it creep up over time... longer time means higher NO3...? What's the water change regime? weekly or monthly?

Any sump & what's in the sump? Is it just strictly berlin filtration with heavy skimming?

• SRC Member

bluesky, I hv no sump for my setup... the tank was bought as it is, running a close-loop driven by a canister filter.

Water change is weekly 25 liters of natural sea water. will be two full months on 19 May. I haven't tested any of the parameters except for dKH which I keep up daily checks on, dkh is now kept at 7 to 9, with 2 days of 2 tsp of baking soda, and the 3rd day, 1 tsp of Seachem Ca Adv.

I have a thriving red algae, jus under the leather coral... since the migration, it is starting to wither. NO3 isn't of concern at this stage, its PO4.

• SRC Member

After reading a lot of comments on DSB and BB

It seems that a lot of ppl are switching from DSB to BB

and DR Ron also have stated that after your DSB run for a few years

whether it do good or not good to your tank .. you still need to do a

replacement..

And it seems there are more pros then cons from the reefers, all this comments

were extracted from reef central

And those reefers who have switched from DSB to BB , during the process

of removing the sand... It smells like shit...So one can imagine how stinky

it will be inside the deep sandbed kekek

I think i also will be changing too .. but prepare for some backache

to scope up the sand

For those who like to play with current inside sps tank.. keke no more worries

of sandstorm once switch to BB

bro, BB u cant place prata and clam on the sea bed already. . :D

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

andysho, did u rsch on acrylic boards in tanks? I'd come across some postings... they can warp after some time... not sure why.... maybe you'd jus like to hold on to it first before u install it. There is a place in Temple St. can't quite recall the name... they sell lots of restaurant kitchen stuff... chk it out... ask them to pre-order for you the size, not sure if they will do but I'm sure they'll know who the manufacturer is.

Hv you considered Korean Marble... seen used in designer kitchens these days... they're good stuff.. maybe quite ex tho'. They can be molded to your specs... quite interesting stuff. Quick question, wats the ht of ur tank?

• SRC Member

hv u thot, of going w/o boards... jus th glass as base.

Most use S/B for aesthetics + pressure distribution in case rocks fall, also helps contain slippage.

• SRC Member

Just finish my major change to BB today

When removing the sand bed ~~ it really stinks sia

Cant imagine those creatures staying inside lol

The whole process lasted for around 9 hrs

Water is getting damm clear now ,

Can play around with the current without fear of sandstorm and can see a better

movement around the tank

I have used two kitchen chopping boards to support the liverocks

I use 100 pecent sea water fully for this BB setup :D

Now backache problem sia <_<

• SRC Member
Bro,

with the use of BB, ever thought of placing a piece of glass under your tank so that it will reflect the light upwards for your SPS? :P

Anyway the effect won't last coz once coralline algae grows on it, you won't get anymore reflection.

Unless you scrape the bottom glass very often.....