needle-wheel skimmer and light help

cjh

• SRC Member

hi... currently setting up a 2.5ft tank... planning to keep mostly fishes and yumas and mushies.... my tank is 2 ft tall... is a 55w PL light too much for a mushie tank?? wat kind of needle-wheel skimmer is suitable for my tank?? currently using a weipro skimmer(2012) for my 2ft holding tank thinking to chg to a needle-wheel for my new 2.5ft tank...

• SRC Member

hi... currently only install 1.... dunno if the mushies and yumas can take it or not...

wat kind of skimmer do u recommend??

• SRC Member

the bigger the better????

get a beckett for a 2 feet tank....

WOW..... :shock::shock::shock:

skimmer to tank ratio.... POWER!!!!!

seriously.... the bigger the better....

better to overskim than underskim, my good lad...

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

ooooo.... ermmm... bro muar chee.... my budget is abt 100-200 can i get any gd skimmer??

• SRC Member

hi... any1 have a webbie on macro needle-wheel skimmer?? i can't find any in yahoo....

• SRC Member
hi... currently only install 1.... dunno if the mushies and yumas can take it or not...

wat kind of skimmer do u recommend??

1 set of PL light for mushies and yumas, i guess it is ok. may be u can add supplement set. brigher and nicer B)

if your bio load is not too heavy and within your budget, macro AP150 is good enough. now is cheaper i guess. i bought mine last jan was $135.

age.png

• SRC Member

ohh thx bro clownfish, muar chee, lobster and bernard.... i have another 2 T5 white and a actinic blue T8 think i will add all this lights with my PL....

• SRC Member
ohh thx bro clownfish, muar chee, lobster and bernard.... i have another 2 T5 white and a actinic blue T8 think i will add all this lights with my PL....

wow :yeah: PL (55W) + white T5 + blue T8 must be bright huh B)

anyway, i had my last 2ft tank (PL - white + PL - white/blue + T5 NO white/blue) B) and i got to use fan to cold water :(

anyway, must show your tank once you set it up kie ;)

age.png

• SRC Member

haha.. kk... but still bare tank... still saving money to buy chiller....

• SRC Member

IMO, mushies will enjoy lightings even with T5s. I am using 6 24Watts HO AquaZ T5s (4x20k, 2xActinic). Even that I place my mushies above mid level of my tank. So far so good.

As for skimmer, I dun think corals will be a major contributing factor (unless your tank is full of them :P ). Ur use of skimmer will depend on the type and number of fishes you intend to keep. Macro 150 is ok as long as you control your desire to overload your tank. :lol: Just a reminder, there are venturi and needle wheel skimmers for Macro. So you need to do your homework and affirm of what you are getting. :)

• SRC Member

yup... did a little homework liao..... planning to go for macro as250p or as300p... depending on the price... can i know which LFS got sell macro skimmers??

• SRC Member

okie.... just went to pet-mart... they got sell macro needle-wheel... as250p at 190++ is it too ex?? or is it the market price now??

• SRC Member

ML have Macro needlewheel.

bro, if your budget allow you... pay a little more to get a good 2nd hand H&S for 400L :yeah:

so that next time when you wanna keep more fish or corals, u don't have to waste anymore

$ <_< to upgrade another skimmer. learnt my lesson :(

age.png

• SRC Member
okie.... just went to pet-mart... they got sell macro needle-wheel... as250p at 190++ is it too ex?? or is it the market price now??

aquamarin should be selling cheaper then $190 ;)

Too many hobby......too little money!

• SRC Member

oooo.... think i will save money for a cheap becketts.... but mean while have to make do with my weipro 2012 now... lucky only got a scissortail goby, maroon clown, coral beauty, 1" blue tang, black ray shrimp goby and pistol pair, graden eel, blue damsel and algae blenny, 10 hermits, 2 pom pom crabs and a purple head boxer shrimp and some yumas and mushrooms and a finger leather.... guess no more corals and more fishes for me until i got my beckett....

• SRC Member

anybody know where got sell the cheapest beckett?? can pm me?? thx....

• SRC Member

bro, remember for beckett its the pump driving it that is important. Other consideration will be heat issue, noise level and electrical consumption. Read up past forum / review on other reefer's beckett before you take the plunge.