Diamant Glass

tayhonglee

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm....I thought Diamante glass also only goes up to 12 mm - at least that was the limit a yr and a half ago :P

I guess I really should get that tank up and running :lol::lol:

u really should. :lol:

one thing for sure, Diamant sure has an edge over Starphire over thickness.

tayhonglee,

juz a suggestion, can u take pics of clams from the top of a tank, e.g. maxima, croceas. thru those 2 glass samples? imho, that will be a pretty good visual judgement as clams r well known for deceiving colors when viewed with color tinted glass. ;)

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

hehe....sad to say, i don't have any clams, so i can't take any pictures for you. as a matter of fact, i don't even have a tank yet. this glass is meant for my new tank. should be ready within 2 weeks.

i will try to take a picture of both glasses slanted at an angle. maybe that might be useful for anyone trying to decide which to get.

• SRC Member

Think these may not be available here. Last time SSG only had the diamante up till 12 mm thickness - otherwise I might have gone braceless! :lol:

Another option to consider is to laminate 2 thinner sheets - more ex, I believe, and possibly reduce some transmission but will be much stiffer, and safer if the glass ever decides to explode!

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Member
Means if want 15mm or 19mm must special order ah, sure expensive sia....but i wonder how much  :lol:

imagine 15/19mm diamant braceless open concept tank  :yeah:

braceless will be like aquat****c tank liao... thers a premium to pay :P, anyway a very good review by Tay ;)

hehe....sad to say, i don't have any clams, so i can't take any pictures for you. as a matter of fact, i don't even have a tank yet. this glass is meant for my new tank. should be ready within 2 weeks.

i will try to take a picture of both glasses slanted at an angle. maybe that might be useful for anyone trying to decide which to get.

Iwarna, reborn, etc hv loads of clams. Juz seek their permission to take photos from their tanks. ask a person to hold the glass for u while u r taking the photos. ;)

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

hey robe,

i saw your tank thread. thats some fine tank man.... :yeah:

can i post a pic of your tank here? might help others who are looking to buy low iron glass. if possible, can you maybe post some contacts and costs as well?

Robe, can share with us wat's the cost of your tank?

Also, it seems that Diamant is a good alternative to Starphire... but any literature about the load pressure that the Diamant glass can handle?? I dun a beautiful tank only for it to break easily... we all know how much pressure a marine tank have to handle... :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

All the low iron glass brands have more or less the same material strenght. My tank is 3 sides Optiwhite and the glass alone cost around $750 cut and machine grounded finish for all sides.

Normal and low iron glass have basically the same characteristics except for the lower iron content.

• SRC Member

hey guys,

a little update. my tank should be ready and delivered to my place by this saturday. i made mine from kwong lim. front pane is the diamant, and the others are normal 10mm glass. a picture of the empty tank should show how much of a difference there is, and whether its worthwhile to invest in a big piece.

if anyone has any ideas about what pictures to take, please tell me. i will try my best to post them.

henry

Hi Henry,

You may want to emulate Seamonkee, he has taken us thru step by step of his tank installation process. Would really apprecaite if you have the time to do the same too. TIA :)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

actually, my tank is really simple, not many pictures to take. its like an 18 inch cube attached with a 12 inch sump. no pipings for me. im planning to keep mostly zoos and buttons and sps and clams. thats why i bought the diamant glass. i know i'll be really unhappy if my live stock are vibrant and colorful from the top, but dull and muted from the sides.

i have a 2nd hand cl650, a weipro 2014, diy 250w mh, ozone generator, ozone reactor and powerheads. im still waiting for my orp controller and metal stand. i will diy a false cabinate to cover everything but the front.

i will take whatever pictures i can. however, not much is going to be involved in setting up the tank. just dump all the equipment into the back and start them up. seamonkee's tank and setup is so much bigger and a lot more prepared than mine. his setup is very inspiring, very impressive.

a little information about singapore safety glass. they are located in 112 pioneer rd (tuas). delivery charges apply. however, you can pick it up yourself. look for stephanie. they are open from 8.30am to 5.30pm weekdays. phone number is 68615530. (im not affliated with them in anyway, just in case you are wondering :lol: but they are the only one who can cut out such a small piece for me)

diamant is about $250 per square metre (12mm). starphire is about 30% more expensive. they are both very very similar, so for myself at least, the 30% extra is not justified. if anyone stays near boon keng mrt, you are welcome to come to my place and have a look at the samples i got from SSG. easier to decide when both samples are in your hands. :)

henry

No worries henry, no tank is too small. We are all learning. :)

Thus keep us posted. :DB)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
actually, my tank is really simple, not many pictures to take. its like an 18 inch cube attached with a 12 inch sump. no pipings for me. im planning to keep mostly zoos and buttons and sps and clams. thats why i bought the diamant glass. i know i'll be really unhappy if my live stock are vibrant and colorful from the top, but dull and muted from the sides.

Still, a picture speaks a thousand words. :)

We're all awaiting the unveiling of your tank!

Cheers Henry! :D

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)

• SRC Member
hi guys,

just to let you know, i left the two pieces of samples at the aquarama src booth. so if you are going tomorrow, go and have a look if you are interested.

henry

Thanks Henry. Will drop by to have a look. :D

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry to ask an obvious question, but I really hope someone can provide their thoughts.

I just set up a brand new tank in KL. It is local glass and while I wanted to get acrylic, I either couldn't find it, or getting it from Singapore was VERY expensive.

I have never seen a Diamant or Starphire glass tank, but viewing my tank now is a bit disappointing.

Mainly I am looking for clarity and to avoid distortion when looking through the glass.

If Diamant glass is say 12mm thick and you are viewing close at an angle, do you get the same magnification/distortion as you would with a 'typical' glass pane?

• SRC Member

hi whimplet,

i can't really answer your question because i have never seen a starphire or diamant tank before. my tank is coming tomorrow, after such a LONG delay. i really hope there isn't another delay again tomorrow.... <_<

i will take some pictures and tell if if the distortion is bad or not.

henry