Stupid Whitespot

Me and a fren got 1 yellow coral goby each at a certain aquarium ....apparently they were healthy. However....both gobies have spread a whitespot outbreak in both my tank and his. My tank has been running for 4-5 months already..and so far it is the first goby I ever had to actually get whitespot. It has now passed it on to my yellow tang. ARGH!

Darn it...I thought gobies were supposed to be almost immune to whitespot..or is the yellow coral goby an exception?

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

it is stressed. the ich was either in your water waiting for a stressed fish to attack or in the goby already. as long as its eating healthily should heal itself. best if its eating garlic soaked food too. give it a while.

Yahz... Gobies getting ich is rare...

Sometimes I will do a FW dip on newcomers if the LFS i got the fish from is not well... super reputable... yahz~ Safer... Once got a French Angel that wiped out a whole tank of fish.

IMO since the fish is not feeling well, it should be already very stress thus with freshwater dip, i think it will stress the fish further

FW dip before introduction lahz~ ;)

Anyway his goby I think eating right?

Once the fish is in the tank, cannot catch one... haha~

Yup once the fish is in FW it will naturally be very stress............ But he anyway who knows that is one method to try

• SRC Member

Actually, i read from some articles that the stress involved in FW dips does not come from physically being in FW, but really from the process of netting and transfer.

The article I read states that Marine Fishes are able to tolerate sudden lowering of salinity with no ill effects, but the reverse is not true. Fishes will be unable to tolerate sudden increase in salinity to NSW levels. The mentioned that its probably because the fish has to suddenly expend a lot more energy to maintain its osmotic balance.

Too many articles on the net... and they're all written by renown pple... it becomes hard for us aquarists to decide whose school of thought is more correct... haha~