Pink tip Plate Coral

Happy Reefer

• SRC Member

Hi,

I've just bought a pink-tip plate coral.

Overnite, it swelled to almost double its size.

I have to re-arrange the corals on my sand bed to accomodate this "monstrous" coral especially when I read in LiveAquaria that it is an agressive coral.

I need advice on what to feed this spp of plate coral and the feeding frequency?

Is phytoplankton on alternate day good enough?

Or do I need to feed more meaty food (like fish eggs, mysis shrimps, prawn meat) at least once a week?

Would also appreciate other respone on care of this type of coral.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

It depends how free you are to feed it. In the wild plate corals probably have access to food daily (unless they have been overturned by waves, etc). Frequent small feedings beats a large meal once a week. 1/3 to 1/4 a market prawn distributed over a week sounds sufficient, since plate corals appear to be planktonic feeders.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

On the topic of plate corals... anyone seen a red plate coral be4? I just came into possession of one... but really suspect it's dyed, but the coral looks very nice and healthy, so I bought it, but is there really such thing as a red plate coral? :blink:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

On the topic of plate corals... anyone seen a red plate coral be4? I just came into possession of one... but really suspect it's dyed, but the coral looks very nice and healthy, so I bought it, but is there really such thing as a red plate coral? :blink:

bro, can show the pic!!! sounds interesting!! :rolleyes:

wow!!!! :blink::yeah: pretty nice bro!

i dun think this is dyed 1. i oso c this b4 in some lfs. any 1 can make sure of this?this is a short tentecle plate rite?

really nice pc u have! :bow: wish u all the best v this!!!

:thanks::lol:

Thanxs bro... :P

Tink this will be my last plate, lost 3 already... dun seem to have any luck with them... :cry:

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
Tink this will be my last plate, lost 3 already... dun seem to have any luck with them... :cry:

allo rav65,

i read from "aquarium corals" that these fungia prefer low to medium current and bright lights.

it also mentions that moderate illumination may not be able to support these bottom dwelling corals.

perhaps your light was the reason for y you have little luck? just a suggestion :)

allo rav65,

i read from "aquarium corals" that these fungia prefer low to medium current and bright lights.

it also mentions that moderate illumination may not be able to support these bottom dwelling corals.

perhaps your light was the reason for y you have little luck? just a suggestion :)

Thanxs bro...

I tink my problem not with light, coz my lights pretty strong at about 700W... guess the flow last time was too strong, this time round, putting it on a low flow area... :P

Wish me luck! :thanks:

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
I tink my problem not with light, coz my lights pretty strong at about 700W... guess the flow last time was too strong, this time round, putting it on a low flow area... :P

Wish me luck! :thanks:

700W :shock::shock:

wife never nag elec bill ah? :D