Treatment For White Spots

euphoria

Hi, just found out that my Brown Tang has plenty of white spots. The clowns and other fishes not affected. He is already in the hospital tank. <_<

What is the best method in treating him? Is there anyway of ridding the parasites for long term? Please note that I have corals in my main display tank.

Read about using copper, is it good?

Thanks.

• SRC Member

I treated my clown fish to a 3 minute fresh water bath when I spotted ich on its body, pectoral and dausal fins. Had it placed in a quarantine tank for a couple of days after the bath before releasing it back into the main tank. Seems to work as it has been free from ich since then.

But can anyone advise how long should a fish be placed under quarantine before releasing back into main tank??

Thanks..

• SRC Member

What I understand is dipping in fresh water for a minute will do. Three minutes???Will it be even more stressful? I ever tried dipping my domino damsel for longer than one minute and it was always keen on jumping out...Well...to each his own... :P

And my firefish stayed in the QT for another day after the spots disappeared for monitoring before I put it back in the main tank.

i do do fresh water bath to my regal angel .

she can stand until 5 ~ 10 " ( sorryi forgat the actual time ) but surely for her can stand more than 5 " , of'coz the time r more depend on fish and size .

even some people will do fo 10~15 " for some big fish.

for blue tang i have no idea :paiseh:

but what is yours specification of freshwater bath ??

i mixe 1 saltwater + 9 freshwater = fresh water bath .

and adjust PH > 8.0 .

than only proceed freshwater bath :P

• SRC Member
I treated my clown fish to a 3 minute fresh water bath when I spotted ich on its body, pectoral and dausal fins. Had it placed in a quarantine tank for a couple of days after the bath before releasing it back into the main tank. Seems to work as it has been free from ich since then.

But can anyone advise how long should a fish be placed under quarantine before releasing back into main tank??

Thanks..

1 min will do..

3 mins would be killing em...

i would go for... aged freshwater dip.... then, put em into copper solution tank. further treat it till it is eating well, and swimming happily..

sth its not ich, but air bubbles on the fish... observe the fish behaviour pls!

• SRC Member

euphoria,

You might need a test kit from Seachem to monitor the copper level, as too much of it will be toxic to your fishes. Try the Seachem multitest - for as far as I know about copper level, it should not exceed 2ppm. Anything higher, your fishes will need to report for guard duty above. :lol:

owder Blue,Sep 10 2003, 11:00 PM] euphoria,

You might need a test kit from Seachem to monitor the copper level, as too much of it will be toxic to your fishes. Try the Seachem multitest - for as far as I know about copper level, it should not exceed 2ppm. Anything higher, your fishes will need to report for guard duty above. :lol:

yes...but the problem is...what is 0.5ppm converted to ml/L ? :cry:

• SRC Member

To note that the minimum copper ion concentration recommended for treatment is 0.25 ppm. In some serious case such as parasitic infestations, it may be necessary to increase the copper concentration beyond the minimum dosage. Further additions should be made in increments of 0.25 ppm. For example, if your tank is treated with the minimum dosage of 0.25 ppm, and within 24 hours an improvement in the fishes condition is not observed, additional copper solution should be added to increase the concentration to 0.50 ppm. A test kit will be needed to monitor the level of copper to prevent it from reaching toxic levels ie above 1.5ppm.

• SRC Member

rough guide? a bit dangerous le...

i tot ppm is in ref to the water volume right?

Do you mean 0.25ppm means 0.5ml per litre?

:unsure:

I am refering ppm (parts per million) to the concentration level of copper in the water - you will need a test kit to determine that. You should not be associating ppm to ml/l. The instruction that you have have for your solution tells you how much to add (1ml for your case) to bring the copper level up, measured in terms of ppm. Please do not get confused ... :)

owder Blue,Sep 11 2003, 12:07 AM]

I am refering ppm (parts per million) to the concentration level of copper in the water - you will need a test kit to determine that. You should not be associating ppm to ml/l. The instruction that you have have for your solution tells you how much to add (1ml for your case) to bring the copper level up, measured in terms of ppm. Please do not get confused ... :)

huh? the instruction says:

"Use 1 mL (top mark of enclosed dispenser) per 10 gallons the first day, wait 48 hours, then repeat for a total dose of 0.5 ppm."

1 ml for 10 gallons for the first 10 gallon only la. after 48 hrs is the part I'm blur.

Based on your advise..i should add copper until i meansure 0.5ppm ar? like that when i overdose and detect in the water...si liao loh

does not make sense le :unsure:

Sorry hor...i don't see my question answered and i just want to be sure :)

owder Blue,Sep 10 2003, 11:50 PM] To note that the minimum copper ion concentration recommended for treatment is 0.25 ppm. In some serious case such as parasitic infestations, it may be necessary to increase the copper concentration beyond the minimum dosage. Further additions should be made in increments of 0.25 ppm. For example, if your tank is treated with the minimum dosage of 0.25 ppm, and within 24 hours an improvement in the fishes condition is not observed, additional copper solution should be added to increase the concentration to 0.50 ppm.  A test kit will be needed to monitor the level of copper to prevent it from reaching toxic levels ie above 1.5ppm.

there must be a way to guage the .25ppm you're talking about before i add the copper in the tank right?

for example...determine the amount of water in the tank, and add a certain ml of copper according to the volume of the water right? ;)

eh...btw, i do appreciate your response :)

:) Hi

Just to share my experience dealing with ich...

My butterfly fish and regal tang got ich.

I transferred them to a hospital tank of 2 ft then do the hyposalinity method.

That is gradually reducing the salinity of water to ard 1.010 over a period of a few days.

Remain at this level until all the whitespot disappear. The fishes can then be returned to the main tank 30days(recommended length) after the last white spot disappeared.

U must also make sure ur main tank is free from white spot parasites.

This can be done by isolating it for 30 days without fishes to ensure the parasites all died.

Hope this helps...

benson

:) Hi

Just to share my experience dealing with ich...

My butterfly fish and regal tang got ich.

I transferred them to a hospital tank of 2 ft then do the hyposalinity method.

That is gradually reducing the salinity of water to ard 1.010 over a period of a few days.

Remain at this level until all the whitespot disappear. The fishes can then be returned to the main tank 30days(recommended length) after the last white spot disappeared.

U must also make sure ur main tank is free from white spot parasites.

This can be done by isolating it for 30 days without fishes to ensure the parasites all died.

Hope this helps...

benson

thanks! read about this before. by the way...does fishes mean shrimpless, cucumberless also? :P