size to start as a new marine fish keeper

taydejing

• SRC Member

ideally new guy should start with big tank as it will be more stable.....but on the other hand, its a lot of work (initally when setting up) and also a bigger commitment in terms of finding the floor area to house your tank..

A 2 footer or nano, i wouldn't recommend...although i myself (and alot of other people here) start on it....instead why not consider a 3 footer....its large enough to provide some stabilitiy yet not too large that it take up a lot of real estate in your house....

• SRC Member

understand the space constraint part...

but seriously...as a beginner... nano is a nono...... see u can put in on yr study table... with a much bigger sump at the bottom of the table???

key here is to increase yr water volume....

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

what muar chee say is right.. key is to increase water vol...

if u can get a big sump and hide it somewhere would be better if ur main tank is smaller than ur sump tank, ur main tank will have very clean water i assume ;)

(like the ocean same theory. U get fresh water every time)

I started with a Nano.

Believe me, a beginner should not try this.

1. It is difficult to keep the water parameters stable. A larger tank is definitely more forgiving.

2. Right mix of fish. Some fish tend to be very territorial. Put these in a nano with others, death is the usual result.

If you want to press ahead with it. Restrict your Nano to a Fish only tank. Try to put in more LRs. These will creat the hiding places. Choose hardy fishes like chromis and damsels, and remember not to put in too many fishes.

• SRC Member

for a nano to maintain the salinity is rather difficult..but if u hav a sump...u can install a auto water top-system...store freshwater inside the reservoir for the top-up..it is better to maintain the salinity in this way.. :D

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata