Why do you reef?

roidan

Why are you in this hobby/still in this hobby?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Why are you in this hobby/still in this hobby?

• Cos I saw Finding Nemo & was captivated by marine life
    • Cos I was captivated by what i saw in Discovery Channel
    • Cos I was captivated while diving/snorkelling
    • Cos my friends/relatives have a nice marine tank
    • Cos I walked pass an LFS, walked in and that's it
    • Cos I want to decorate my boring home with a marine tank
    • Cos it simply feels good to have a marine tank
    • Cos it is part of my self-actualisation process
    • Cos I am sick of other hobbies/I can't get tired of this hobby

• SRC Member
Van Cleef Aquarium was always a great adventure for me during my primary school days at ACS(hill street). we always run hide and seek at fort canning then proceed to the aquarium. The first thing i always wanted to see was the man-eating piranha fish tank.

:off:

Hey, nice to see a fellow ACSian in here. Which year are you at Fort Canning? I did mine from 1974 to 1979.

• SRC Member

Oh, I do rem the Van Cleef Aquarium......went for the last time before it was torn down.....

Missed the seahorses, and if not mistaken, that time got the sea dragon too...

Tank: 5 X 2 X 2.5

Sump : 3 X 1.5 X 1.8

Tunze 6060

Tunze TF08

Oceanrunner 6500

Deltec AP 902 Protein Skimmer

I-Aquatic Calcium Reactor

Arctica Chiller

• SRC Member
I went till the 'Encik Singh' just waved his hand to let me in whenever he saw me... :P:paiseh:

I think I remember him...though my brother and I used to call him 'Mr B#yee' (and of course he never heard us say that). :P

And remember the croc enclosure at the bottom of the stairs as well as the piranha tank at the top stairway landing? :lol:

BTW, heard you were a teacher before and married to someone in the RSAF? Hmmm...suppose you're in Texas now? Used to be in the Air Force and am teaching in AMKPS now. :D

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)

• SRC Member

Hey, nice to see a fellow ACSian in here. Which year are you at Fort Canning? I did mine from 1974 to 1979.

Eh, That means you're only 1 year older than me. I was from Saints so we were from same era and were probably nemeses then!! :lol::lol: Did you play rugby?

Ooops! Sorry! Seriously :off:

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)

• SRC Member

non of the above... i like animals from young especially life underwater from freshwater to saltwater.....

• SRC Member

Van Cleef Aquarium was always my favour outing with my family when i was young. since than i always wanted to have an ocean in my house when i grow up. so, marine is always my passion since i was in primary school and Van Cleef Aquarium played a big part of my interest :rolleyes:

age.png

• SRC Member

I think I remember him...though my brother and I used to call him 'Mr B#yee' (and of course he never heard us say that). :P

And remember the croc enclosure at the bottom of the stairs as well as the piranha tank at the top stairway landing? :lol:

BTW, heard you were a teacher before and married to someone in the RSAF? Hmmm...suppose you're in Texas now? Used to be in the Air Force and am teaching in AMKPS now. :D

Wah!!! where did you hear all this? :o I'm not in Texas though. Sigh...I missed the Texas Chainsaw Massacre part. :P

AMKPS? One of my favourite schools. The good saint of a p still there?

:rolleyes:

Was contemplating to get a transfer there under PCCG-teacher counsellor status. :P

Was it Van Cleef or Van Kleef? I always remembered it as Van Kleef though..maybe there are two? :evil: Hhaha..joking.. I only remember a guppy poster I got from it (well I hated guppies later on) and the resident electric eel outside the entrance.

As for why I reef...I quote a friend of mine..."It gives me great joy" :lol:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
Wah!!! where did you hear all this? :o I'm not in Texas though. Sigh...I missed the Texas Chainsaw Massacre part. :P

AMKPS? One of my favourite schools. The good saint of a p still there?

:rolleyes:

Was contemplating to get a transfer there under PCCG-teacher counsellor status. :P

A little birdie told me... :P:lol:

Erm, you mean Mr Sih? Yup, he's still the P there. Cannot find another P like him man! He's the best coz he'll take you under his wing and guide you! Sigh...wish there were alot more P's like him. :):)

Ooops! :off: again. Will pm you.

• SRC Member
Van Cleef Aquarium was always my favour outing with my family when i was young. since than i always wanted to have an ocean in my house when i grow up. so, marine is always my passion since i was in primary school and Van Cleef Aquarium played a big part of my interest :rolleyes:

Yeah those where the days.

I remembered the huge electric eels by the entrance (i think its up the stairs...)

But Mainly fresh water hor... dont really remember seeing marines... Can recall a huge tank with marine angels... but dunno if its there... <_<

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

• SRC Member
Eh, That means you're only 1 year older than me. I was from Saints so we were from same era and were probably nemeses then!! :lol::lol: Did you play rugby?

Ooops! Sorry! Seriously :off:

Did not play during the primary school days as I was a late developer :lol: Its only during the secondary days that I played for 2 years. After that I have to give up as the game affected my school work. :D