2005 Macro NW Skimmer

rshut

• SRC Member
the macro in action. powered by a sicce extrema. my apologies tt i cant take the design of the entire macro unless i dismantle from the sump.

*note tt i haven't add in the air pump yet*

Hi ...

saw there is a air valve in your pic, you use it to control the air intake to your Macro NW pump ?

CHEERS

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi ...

saw there is a air valve in your pic, you use it to control the air intake to your Macro NW pump ?

CHEERS

bro, the air valve is to control the air intake into the skimmer. so far the results from the macro is not bad, will test it with air pump tonight n see the results.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

bro, the air valve is to control the air intake into the skimmer. so far the results from the macro is not bad, will test it with air pump tonight n see the results.

when you use the air pump, are you using those 'squarish woody' looking air-stone or those fresh water type that comes with all kind of shape?

I seems to have this impression that the squarish woody type product very fine bubble.. is that true? is so, think that should be the type of air-stone we should be using..

btw, you mentioned that you are using sicce extrema pump, meaning your Macro is not needle wheel?

CHEERS!

looking forward to see the result of your experimentation.. :bow:

i'm using sanders air stone. . sicce extrema is gd to run macro, but only 2500l/hr. think results wld be better if i use something about the range of 3800l/hr.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

my trust worthy pump. Can tune the frequency low, medium or high.

post-14-1118404902.jpg

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Is this consider lousy or ok?

post-14-1118404975.jpg

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Venturi or needlewheel. . as long as it skims well i am happy. btw i tried macro needlewheel b4, results aint as good as my current macro.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

• SRC Member
Is this consider lousy or ok?

You "beer foam" looks very clean... :lol: you have low bio-load har ? anyway, it look like the skimmer is doing its work with the sander air stone lor.

can ask you for a favor, can you post a pic of your sanders air stone? and how you position your sanders air stone in the skimmer? please...

thank you .. :bow:

CHEERS!

p/s: looking at your pic... you might want to open up your skimmer out-flow valve to lower the "beer foam" to the neck of the collector cup...

You "beer foam" looks very clean... :lol: you have low bio-load har ? anyway, it look like the skimmer is doing its work with the sander air stone lor.

can ask you for a favor, can you post a pic of your sanders air stone? and how you position your sanders air stone in the skimmer? please...

thank you .. :bow:

CHEERS!

well. . my tank still cycling. . basically the only inhabitants are 1 triggerfish and 3 starfishes. lol. . that's why low bio load. i see if i can try to get pic not. . quite difficult bro. . u come my house see. . :lol:

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

• SRC Member
well. . my tank still cycling. . basically the only inhabitants are 1 triggerfish and 3 starfishes. lol. . that's why low bio load. i see if i can try to get pic not. . quite difficult bro. . u come my house see. .  :lol:

if that's the case... hmm... then can ask - sander air stones are those enlongated square shaped "wooden" type izzit? I am a little blur in air stone ... :lol:

also, possible to roughy describe how you place your air stone in your skimmer?

CHEERS!

if that's the case... hmm... then can ask - sander air stones are those enlongated square shaped "wooden" type izzit? I am a little blur in air stone ... :lol:

also, possible to roughy describe how you place your air stone in your skimmer?

CHEERS!

ya. . its those squarish looking wooden air stones, think its about $3-$4 each, add two in the macro. . its actually pretty easy to do but hard to explain in theory. .

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

• SRC Member
ya. . its those squarish looking wooden air stones, think its about $3-$4 each, add two in the macro. . its actually pretty easy to do but hard to explain in theory. .

OK. now i know which air stone you are referring to... thanks.

as for the placement of the air stone, i will experiment on my own :lol:

Thanks you for your help !

:bow:

CHEERS!

• SRC Member

oh. hmm.. coz the review was for a needlewheel mahz. so i thought your experiment was also for a needlewheel, and the experiment would test this idea

"

2)don't bother about modifying the skimmer, buy a large-enough L joint (those use for piping), capped one end of the L joint over the in-take of my current NW pump, while the other end of the L joint is facing the bottom of the sump tank. next place the 1 or 2 air stone(s) just below this end of the L joint, the bubble from the air stone will then be suck up into the NW pump into the skimmer..."

bro rocks' second idea. haha.

hmm.. anyone gonna rocks' second idea?? =)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
hmm... think its overflowing a bit too much? can't tune it any further? hmmm

you using a venturi skimmer ah? thought the plan was for a needlewheel? hmm...

How did you get the foam to overflow? I can't tune the foam to my desired height level, as a result the skimmate is unable to get pushed into the collection cup. Can some kind souls help me?

:thanks:

• SRC Member

How did you get the foam to overflow? I can't tune the foam to my desired height level, as a result the skimmate is unable to get pushed into the collection cup. Can some kind souls help me?

tune the water level higher?

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

same problem with my old macro NW... cannot get the foam to overflow into collection cup.. it just keeps getting stuck at the top between cap and neck..

already raised water level quite high liao

• SRC Member
same problem with my old macro NW... cannot get the foam to overflow into collection cup.. it just keeps getting stuck at the top between cap and neck..

already raised water level quite high liao

Erm, my case is worse, I can't even raise the water level. Turned the knob all the way liao. :erm:

The instruction booklet said place the pump within 10 cm from water surface. Is that a correct way?

• SRC Member

Erm, my case is worse, I can't even raise the water level. Turned the knob all the way liao. :erm:

The instruction booklet said place the pump within 10 cm from water surface. Is that a correct way?

Hm... I have mine around that height.. I get bubbles and foam.. only thing is the foam doesn't flow over into the collection cup.. all of it just clogs up at the top...

• SRC Member

Hm... I have mine around that height.. I get bubbles and foam.. only thing is the foam doesn't flow over into the collection cup.. all of it just clogs up at the top...

So is it better to adjust within 10cm or more than 10cm? I find the instruction quite confusing. Can I have some expert opinion pls?

:thanks::thanks:

• SRC Member

i believe within 10cm from the water surface...

anyway, i swopped the cap with a clear plastic bowl to raise the height between the neck and the cap, but same problem.. foam just clogs up at the top and doesn't move down the neck...

• SRC Member
i believe within 10cm from the water surface...

anyway, i swopped the cap with a clear plastic bowl to raise the height between the neck and the cap, but same problem.. foam just clogs up at the top and doesn't move down the neck...

Use a valve at the air inlet... to throttle down less air to the skimmer... this way can build up more pressure to push the skimage out... i try it.. it helps... the v/v i referring is the green one easily obtainable at any fish shop... can connect to the macro sliencer... hope my info is of some help

right now i am using the old model macro as100 for my nano 2 feet tank..