XM vs BLV 10 K bulbs

• SRC Member
Anyone has used both in their SPS tanks and have any comparisons? Thanks

Both show good growth for the sps, but I prefer the XM cos I find it more white in colour than the BLV. Plus I presume the XM have more PAR cos my prata and open brain 2ft away can't stand the strong light of the 250W XM10K which they were doing fine when I was using the BLV 10K.

Eric

I prefer the XM 10k too because they have a much whiter look.

However, I seem to get slightly lesser SPS growth as compared to BLK 10k. There could be many reasons for that... but its just my observation.

• SRC Member

So if I had 2 MH fixtures, could I use an XM 10K in one and a BLV 10K in the other to 'get the best of both worlds'? :huh:

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)

• SRC Member
So if I had 2 MH fixtures, could I use an XM 10K in one and a BLV 10K in the other to 'get the best of both worlds'? :huh:

Assuming the left and right side is of different types of bulb. Wouldn't the growth be uneven in this case? One side grow better than the other? :lol:

• SRC Member

Assuming the left and right side is of different types of bulb. Wouldn't the growth be uneven in this case? One side grow better than the other? :lol:

You've got a point there. What if I use the BLV over the sps and the XM over the softies area? Hmmmmm....

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)

• SRC Member

You've got a point there. What if I use the BLV over the sps and the XM over the softies area? Hmmmmm....

Sounds good.. like this you'll have to set the boundary already ;)

Because the colour of the two bulbs are different, you'll see two different bands in your tank if you use them side by side! ;)

I prefer the XM 10k for the colour! :)

• SRC Member
At first When i used BLV 10 k... dun really like it looks yellowish white to

me, but got used to it... but heard it is good for growth

Andy, when you change to XM 10K you will Love it...........trust me. White in colour yet able to show the coral true colours without the use of actinic.

Eric

Hmm... seems that my observation is different from others... Used to have 2x XM10,000K running in my tank, after hearing reviews that the XM is whiter, but I always found the colour a but yellowish... when one of my bulbs blew, I tried out the BLV side by side with the XM and I must say that I find the BLV whiter... :P

Juz my obersvation... as for growth, cant really comment as I dun have the same SPS on two sides of the tank, so abit unfair to make a judgement... :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Anyone has tried the new XM 15K bulbs? How is it compared to the XM 10K and the BLV 10K?

Also, I'm thinking of changing from BLV 10K 400w to XM 15K 400w. One reason is XM is cheaper. Any advice? Will my existing ballast fire this bulb? Also, I heard the XM bulbs are longer, is this true cos my BLV already max out the length of my reflectors.

Thanks

I think (marine) therefore I am