Fish only 1.5ft tank

• SRC Member

Hi all!

I am thinking of starting a fish only tank. Have been reading up on the filtration systems for marine tanks and it seems that live rock is the way to go with biological filtration. A powerhead or two seems necessary to provide water circulation rite?

How powerful do i need for a 1.5ft tank? I see from 80 gallons to 500 gallon powerhead monsters, very confused. Any good brand/model to recommend? Some one mentioned Maxxi-Jet?

• SRC Member

for me i'm a 2feet fish and shrimps only tank.

got a bit of live rock only and also some plant.

i am using top filter around 5 layers. i think for 1.5 feet if you bioload is not too much, maybe power head with UGF should be ok.. and also try not to over power by buying too powerful power head, too much water current also not good for the fishes mah.

can also use canister filter, or those hang on filter.

• SRC Member

unless u are talking about hardy fish like damsel/clown..... 2 of my 1"clowns is staying in my 1'x0.5'x0.5' tank for 2 months liao, no problem.... but never use overhead pump.... your water temp could shot up to 30~33 deg cel easily in such a small tank... use an air pump with those corner filtering unit instead.... also, u must monitor the water paremetervery closely......

• SRC Member

I like the Eheim Liberty hang-on filters. A bubble operated filter would most likely be inadequate for ur tank. Too weak and the bubbles spill salt everywhere when they burst. Outside-tank canister filters are very expensive but they will work, and the overhead box filters for luo han tanks splash a lot and get rusty easily.

The hang on filter does not splash if the water level is raised just right and does not get rusty. Very quiet with little heat. Two should be just right for you. They come in 3 types, 100gph, 150gph and 200gph. 200gph are much larger and worth the cost. About $55 apiece.

I use a 200gph and 150 gph on my nano reef and it does great. Go take a look.

• SRC Member
I like the Eheim Liberty hang-on filters. A bubble operated filter would most likely be inadequate for ur tank. Too weak and the bubbles spill salt everywhere when they burst. Outside-tank canister filters are very expensive but they will work, and the overhead box filters for luo han tanks splash a lot and get rusty easily.

The hang on filter does not splash if the water level is raised just right and does not get rusty. Very quiet with little heat. Two should be just right for you. They come in 3 types, 100gph, 150gph and 200gph. 200gph are much larger and worth the cost. About $55 apiece.

actually for the overhead box filter, if your water level is high enough, there will not be much splash too.

actually i feel that overhead box filter is more effective and cheaper than hang on filter since it's bigger. but one thing bad about the overhead box is that it's big and take up space, space where you need to put your lights.

• SRC Member

Your liverock will be inadequate for a fish only unless you understock it. A lot. If you are a beginner it is much safer to use a proper filter first such as bioballs in a multi layer trickle filter (such as the transparent ones). It may sound outdated but works.

Just look for german brand powerheads, tend to be of better quality.

BB, I used to use the overhead black box filter and seemed to generate a lot of stray voltage leh (my guess). But your overhead trickle with a few levels works.

• SRC Member
Your liverock will be inadequate for a fish only unless you understock it. A lot. If you are a beginner it is much safer to use a proper filter first such as bioballs in a multi layer trickle filter (such as the transparent ones). It may sound outdated but works.

BB, I used to use the overhead black box filter and seemed to generate a lot of stray voltage leh (my guess). But your overhead trickle with a few levels works.

what do you mean by stray voltage?

so far i only got stray voltage from lights only and the fishes are still ok.. ehehe

• SRC Member

What do you mean my liverock would be inadequate unless i understock it? I was hoping to keep only 1 or 2 fishes with maybe shrimps later on.

:D

Mine is a 1.5ft 5 plan tank.

• SRC Member

What do you mean my liverock would be inadequate unless i understock it? I was hoping to keep only 1 or 2 fishes with maybe shrimps later on.

:D

Mine is a 1.5ft 5 plan tank.

I meant that your liverock alone would not be enough to filter your tank if it was a typical FO tank (where people try to cram as many fishes as possible in the tank) but since you only want to keep one or two small fish that won't grow large it's fine. Note that since it is filtered by live rock you have to be very careful not to overfeed it as the rock unlike a filter will not take out the larger pieces of food until they rot, then it is denitrified and whatelse. You will have to change water more often.

• SRC Member

I saw an advertisement for some Eheim ball thingy powerhead that can swivel in a magazine. You might want to consider that.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

another option- u could use an external canister filter(ehiem/fluval/jebo/resun)- $70 onwards

This will allow u to create water movement & also keep the mech.head out of the water,keeping temp. down.

Also to raise your lighting abt 4" off the water's surface helps temp.

considering that canisters do the same job as internals- they do process ammonia & nirites very well- thus u end with a lump sum of nitrates- which u could think of having a deeper substrate(although 1.5ft won't give u much process area,but it will help).

fill canister with sponge,floss & a bacteria medium(extra sponge/ceramic/zeolite or even crush coral).

skip carbon in canisters cause u will have to change carbon often-

Also a major factor with small tanks is to do very* regular water changes- even if its 2 ltrs every week.every bit helps.

• SRC Member

A lot of heat in a small tank though. But aquamart had something similar last time. You may want to go and take a look there then scout for better prices.

you could get some fans to blow directly over the water to create the rippling effect.

but I think for marine tanks we want more current then waves rite?? I'm new to this "dark side''

Like what Bawater use canister filter, will reduce abit, but the output maybe too powerful, get a splitter to have several water output for circulation.

Else can also get a chiller? Aquatechnic selling a mirco-chiller for small tanks. :(

• SRC Member

Hmm... Y didn't I think of tt!!! :blink:

It's a good idea you know, can have yr food and see yr fish at the same time

Back to topic>>>>>.

I think a 1 - 4 fans are more than enough to have a temp of ~27.5 degrees

Else, on the lights at night only when the temp is lower <_<

• SRC Member

Whoa, ehiem filters sure are ex. But i haven't seen any ehiem hang on filters yet. Saw some other brands selling though, some petecetra or something

• SRC Member
I think a 1 - 4 fans are more than enough to have a temp of ~27.5 degrees

I'll be very worried about evaporation and the change in salinity.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Whoa, ehiem filters sure are ex. But i haven't seen any ehiem hang on filters yet. Saw some other brands selling though, some petecetra or something

yes eheim do have hang on filters

3 model, 100, 150 and 200.

i don't know about the price of 100 and 150 but 200 will cost $47 at Nature or $48 at Petmart, with media inside. i just bought one for my bro.