effect of yellow powder

maroonclown

• SRC Member

yellow powder is actually design for quarantining KOIs...but it can be use on marine fish too...it mainly calms down the fish and make it stress free....

but do not overdoze... :evil:

my 2 cents worth

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

What is the yellow powder? Sulphur? :huh:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

Used it in an aquarium I used to work for. Mainly used for goldfish however can be used for other freshwater fish. Never tried it on marine. The thing is that all the wordings are in Japanese I think. The dosage is probably dosed on trial-and-error. I don't know what the substance is..maybe some kind of antibiotic or antifungal angent? Nope it's not sulphur...its more dark yellow..did'nt smell like sulphur to me anyway. Yes..I've got a bad habit of sniffing things. :ph34r:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

some information i found .

http://www.novalek.com/kpd29.htm

Acriflavine is a preventative and treatment for the control of Oodinium (Velvet) in freshwater and marine fishes. It has a long history of usefulness for the control of fish diseases. Acriflavine is useful for fish egg disinfection, treatment of open wounds, and external protozoan infections. The drug is effective in the control of the bacterial infection "columnaris" (Flexibacter columnaris). Acriflavine may also be considered as an alternative to Malachite Green when it is known that a certain species of fish may be sensitive.

Prevention of bacterial infection of fish eggs

Method 1 (Bath)

(a) Remove carbon from the filter and continue to operate with new mechanical filter media throughout the treatment period.

(B) Add 1 teaspoon of Acriflavine (3.84% solution per 5 gallons of water). This produces a concentration of 10 ppm. Only one application is necessary.

© After hatching, the Acriflavine may be removed from the water by replacing the activated carbon in the filter and/or making water changes. Use Novaqua when making water changes.

Method 2 (Dip)

(a) To a clean nonmetallic container add 1 gallon of hatchery water.

(B) Add 1.8 ml of Acriflavine (3.8% solution) and stir to mix. This produces a concentration of 18.5 ppm. Note: if the pH is less than 7.0 adjust with sodium bircarbonate or another suitable buffer to 7.0 to 7.2 for fresh water and 8.0 to 8.3 for salt water. (see Special Note)

© Add an air diffuser (Kordon's Mist·Air® airstone is recommended) and adjust for a moderate flow supply.

(d) Collect eggs in a net, or the object on which the eggs have been attached and dip them for 5 to 10 minutes to insure that all eggs have been treated.

(e) After the dip, transfer the eggs back to the hatchery tank.

(f) Use this treatment procedure only once for each spawn. The solution should be discarded after 10 uses or every 2 weeks, whichever comes first.

Treatment for external fish parasites

(a) Transfer fish to a separate tank, if possible.

(B) Remove carbon from filters and return to use with the addition of a clean mechanical filter media.

© Make a partial water change of 25 to 50% if the treatment is being carried out in an established tank. Add NovAqua after replacing new water.

(d) Calculate the actual volume of water to be treated taking into consideration the displacement of water by sand, gravel, rock, etc.

(e) Add 1 teaspoon of Acriflavine (3.84% solution) per 5 to 10 gallons of water. This will produce a concentration of 10 to 5 ppm.

(f) Repeat treatment daily with a partial water change of at least 25 to 50% before re-treating. Add NovAqua after replacing new water. Add only enough Acriflavine to replace that which was removed by the water change.

(g) Upon completion of the treatment return fish to the original aquarium or pond (if treatment was done in an quarantine tank) and add PolyAqua or NovAqua. If the treatment was conducted in the original aquarium or pond, perform a partial water change of 35 to 50% and place new activated carbon into the filter.

Note: If the fish are heavily infected with external gill and/or skin parasites, it is advisable to modify the above procedure by adding 1 teaspoon of Methylene Blue (Kordon's 2.303% solution is recommended) per 10 gallons of water in combination with Acriflavine. Gill parasites such as Oodinium cause severe pathological damage to the host, which results in respiratory distress. Methylene Blue aids in reducing this distress by acting as an oxygen transporter. Refer to the product data sheet concerning the proper use of Methylene Blue in established aquariums and ponds before using this optional procedure.

SPECIAL NOTE

Water conditions in which there is a notably acid pH (below 7.0) will inhibit the activity of this product.