What's this on my Fire Fish??

• SRC Member

This morning, I found this woodlouse-looking creature on the tail of my Fire fish! It seems to be latched on to its tail (circled in blue)!! :cry2:

How do I get rid of it without harming the fish?

Is it a hitch-hiker or a parasite? :(

post-6-1120658772.jpg

There's a parasitic isopod.

If you have wrasses in your tank, they are usually eaten.

If you have managed to successfully fish out the firefish with it still attached... chances are you can dislodged it. Net the fish and scrap the pod, if it doesn't budge, squirt freshwater on it.

• SRC Member
:lol: im juz 2 share my ex... if u have a better solution, pls share 2 me oso. ;)

here is the link i post b4:-

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34737

:D

:thanks: for all the info, guys!

When I went back last evening, I found out that my fish trap did not work. <_<

However, I also realized that the isopod is no longer on my Fire Fish. Think it fell off the fish after it had its "feed".

Is there a way to kill these isopods in the tank? Perhaps a solution I can buy from the LFS to add into my tank, w/o harming my fishes/corals/sponges? :huh:

:thanks: for all the info, guys!

When I went back last evening, I found out that my fish trap did not work. <_<

However, I also realized that the isopod is no longer on my Fire Fish. Think it fell off the fish after it had its "feed".

Is there a way to kill these isopods in the tank? Perhaps a solution I can buy from the LFS to add into my tank, w/o harming my fishes/corals/sponges? :huh:

they will only appear at the morning when u juz turn on the light.

i got no idea on others solution.

b caution when handing this alien (no bare hand pls)! ;)

all e best!! :peace:B)

• SRC Member

I just skimmed read through that article last night.. I didn't catch this para,

"If you can catch the fish, the isopod may be removed with a pair of forceps. Carefully!!! Upon removal, the fish should be isolated in a hospital tank, and treated with antibiotics until the wound heals. The bug may be disposed of. Carefully!!! About 15 years ago, I had a student who was holding in her clenched hand a 1.5 inch long Aegid. The bug cut through the flesh of her palm, dug in, and started to eat HER. Her vocal response was rather impressive. So was the tenacity of the isopod, it was HARD to remove! "

Now I know........................ scary! :sick:

Thanks!! :peace:

"If you can catch the fish, the isopod may be removed with a pair of forceps. Carefully!!! Upon removal, the fish should be isolated in a hospital tank, and treated with antibiotics until the wound heals. The bug may be disposed of. Carefully!!! About 15 years ago, I had a student who was holding in her clenched hand a 1.5 inch long Aegid. The bug cut through the flesh of her palm, dug in, and started to eat HER. Her vocal response was rather impressive. So was the tenacity of the isopod, it was HARD to remove! "

creepy lil aliens :P

welcome... :lol:

• SRC Member
HELP! :cry:

Just use the container poke some holes. Tie a string to it so that u can pull the container out. Put some prawn meat in the container. Lower to the bottom of tank. Even now & then shine a torch at the container to check. If got pull the container back up slowly.

I do this till when I put in the container & can't fish any more these suckers.

Fishing at nite got a higher killing rate.