Newbie need help on setup

• SRC Member

Hi Guys,

Newbie here, considering setting up a small marine tank with rock, coral and crown fish.

Looking for small 1 feet tank, filter system, light, sand, rock, coral, 2 crown fish, salt, test kit, thermometer, etc...

Q1) Any good fish shop to recommend around Yio Chu Kang MRT Station area?

Q2) Anyone has Nano Cube from JBJ? Is it good? Where can I get it?

Thank you very much.

• SRC Member

ok for corals err try going for easy corals like mushrooms, buttons polys, than after everything is stabilze try some small bubbles or hammer....

main concern is the water parameters and temperature.. for a 1 feet tank err a fan would be good enough try not to let ur water temperature go above 30... 27 to 28 will be optimum

• SRC Member

Thanks for all your comments.

Aquamarin got a 2ft x 1.5ft basic package, for $268, but I feel that its too big lor.

Still prefer the 1ft nano cube (Cute and easier to maintain?).

Yes, visited www.nano-reef.com before, like the nano cube very much.

But the nano cube seems to have some crack problem, that's why asking anybody having one.

Thank You.

• SRC Member

That wz what I thought when I thinking to start the hobby. But as time goes by, you end up upgrading to better equipment than eventually the biggest tank you can afford.

Choice is yours :peace:

You'll be the slave to the choice you make....think and think before you start the hobby.

• SRC Member

Aquamarin got a 2ft x 1.5ft basic package, for $268, but I feel that its too big lor.

But the nano cube seems to have some crack problem, that's why asking anybody having one.

Thank You.

hi ...

you know wat the package includes ???? :thanks:

• SRC Member

Thank You.

My advise is to get a 2 ft one...

with more water, ur water will be more stable...

a beginner shld not try a nano tank at a first attempt, most prob u will end up with a FOWLR (fish only with live rocks) cos u r not veri sure of how to maintain ur water parameters as yet, and any corals soon waste away... ;)

therefore, a 2ft tank is easier to maintain than 1ft in this way, not the other way round ;)

u can consider a IOS (internal overflow system) tank where half foot of the tank is segmented for overflow purposes (so effectively ur tank is 1.5 ft), in this way, u can do away with a hanging filter too! :)

• SRC Member

The package at Aquamarin include the tank, cabinet, filter system, light, the basic hardware...

You may want to call them for details.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Most of you suggest bigger tank, will consider that.

Meantime, more read up for me....

BTW, is FOWLR very bad for clown fish?

Don't want the fish to suffer.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...