My New 3x2x1.5 ft

teolt

All gurus out there... need some advice.

I've just setup a 3x2x1.5 but the cabinet space is too small to fit in a sump (w=40cm, l=45cm) so I use 2 canisters instead. One for filtration (stuffed with phos), and the other only with coral chips and ceramic balls for bac (will not touch it for as long as the tank runs). Any advice? Can a marine tank survive using canisterS? Someone might just tell me to throw away the tank (After seeing some really cool setup here). :cry: So please..... :bow: your valuable comments are very much appreciated. I'll take every advice with an open mind ;)

BTW, how to post pic??

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

hi there teolt, i'm not much of a guru, but heres my opinion ya- hope it helps in some way.

your improvised use of two canisters where youre unable to fit a sump is great, but other than increasing the available surface area within the ceramic balls and coral chips for bacterial activity, the canisters dont really do much in way of filtration, though a canister is the perfect place to place your phosphate removing media. im wondering, for a 3feet tank, is the cabinet not around two feet? would that not be able to fit a small sump? a sump neednt be big. sumps are often used as refugiums for biological filtration, where a deep sand bed is employed and macroalgaes are grown inorder to remove the nitrates and phosphates and silicates from the water column, so even if the sump tank were a foot long, it would still be viable. a sump is also commonly used for placement of a skimmer, which brings me to the question as to whether youre running a skimmer.

from the sound of your set up though, i think you can keep the two canisters in place, as i suspect youre surely already running a skimmer of some sort. but if youre not running a skimmer, my imperative would be to do so, as skimmers are the most effective equipments for nutrient removal, and a skimmer is worth more in terms of "water purifying or cleaning" ability than two canisters.

all in all however, a sump is not "die, die must have", but it certainly is an easy way to increase water volume and hide large equipment like skimmers, etc.

cheers, and good luck on your set up's success,

ian

Thanks for the advice Ian. Yes, I'm using a Prizm Skimmer and now deciding to custom built a refugium (hang-on type maybe). I might also change my existing skimmer to macro AS-350P (again, hang-on). My tank might ended up like a christmas tree <_<

I've been cycling my tank for more than 2 weeks and NO3 is still at the high.

Anyway, thanks again for your reply as I know my post is a bit boring, not as fantastic as the rest :thanks:

Addition to my tank.

1/2 hp chiller

150w MH - DIY

Thanks for the advice Ian. Yes, I'm using a Prizm Skimmer and now deciding to custom built a refugium (hang-on type maybe). I might also change my existing skimmer to macro AS-350P (again, hang-on). My tank might ended up like a christmas tree <_<

I've been cycling my tank for more than 2 weeks and NO3 is still at the high.

Anyway, thanks again for your reply as I know my post is a bit boring, not as fantastic as the rest :thanks:

Addition to my tank.

1/2 hp chiller

150w MH - DIY

HI bro,

I have a similar problem of having a cabinet too low for sump. I solved it by having a remote sump.

Cannisters are good if you maintain them periodically.

I used to have cannisters with I was into seahorse, they are a great and cheap filtration if you can't afford set-ups that comes with sumps. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Thanks Gouldian. Point noted.

Currently exploring the possibility of fixing a remote sump. Maybe DIY another cabinet to hide the sump :idea: . Hmm... lots of possibility.

If you free you can drop by my place (Punggol) to see how i manage with remote sump. :lol:

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

Nice rock works.

I guess you are still cycling right?

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

Hi Gouldian,

Thanks. Yeah still cycling. Went to visit Ian this afternoon. Great stuff he has. Considering getting a sump at his shop now. Got to do the math right if not got to eat grass liau :blink:

Hi kokhui,

Saw madmac's setup and his coversion to BB. will check with him on his experience using canister. Thanks.

wah another zoo freak!!!

love that one at the centre :wub:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

Hi Rex, I've transfered my 2ft LS into the 3ft this Wed. As you can tell in the Pic nothing much left. The fishes and shrimps all survive.

Hi leonang, I've decided to setup a sump tank. Measurement will be 16x18x12 inch. Getting an over flow box from I-aqua and still designing the sump tank. It's going to be a challenge as I'll be fitting a 6" beckett skimmer in the sump as well. Will see how that hoes ;)

• SRC Member
damsel and angel?? good luck

:blink: Why?

will the damsel eat the angel?

Great start teolt, a sump makes things a little easier to manage - but canisters can be used too, just with a little more regular and larger water changes.

damsel and angel?? good luck

If got nothing nice to say, best keep comments to urself. <_<

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• 2 weeks later...