petrol consumption.

Jaslyn

• SRC Member

planning to trade in our matrix for a MPV since our #3 is arriving in a couple of months and it would be too squeezy for 2 adults+ 1 maid and 3 kids.

Anyone can comment of which brand is best petrol consumption?We are actually looking at toyota wish 1.8. Need opinion.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

matrix is already not bad comparing to our previous trajet.Thats a drink machine,imagine full tank at close to $100(3yrs ago price) only last lesser than 260km and thats 5 days usage.Matrix's full tank was like within $80(at 1.837 per litre) and can go till 370km.

• SRC Member

so according to the toyota dealer...toyota wish is taking like 14.4km/L...if its true,it does drink lesser than matrix

another thing,toyota wish is 1.8 so are we paying the road tax for 1.6 or 2.0? I assume there isnt a category of 1.8 right?

My friend says normally ard 12-13km/h

BTW wish is only from PI, so must be the PI guy told you that?

Buy car don't listein to car dealer, they don't alway tell the truth especially when it comes to fuel consumption especially for those cars with poor fuel consumption.

Talk to current or better still ex-owner of that particular model and they will tell you the truth.

1.8L means the rd tax you pay based on the calculation for >1.6L <3L

From onemotoring website.

Road Tax Formula

Engine Capacity (EC) Road Tax Formula* (per annum)

EC<=600 cc S$400

600 cc < EC <= 1000 cc S$400 + 0.25 x (EC - 600)

1000 cc < EC <= 1600 cc S$500 + 0.75 x (EC - 1000)

1600 cc < EC <= 3000 cc S$950 + 1.5 x (EC - 1600)

EC > 3000 cc S$3050 + 2.0 x (EC - 3000)

• SRC Member

yeah cant listen to dealer.The dealer we bought our matrix from told us 11km/L and ended up only max 8km/L

petrol price is so high now so instead of saving on road tax for a 1.6,I think its wiser to save on petrol consumption.

Dont know many people who owns car leh...those aunty drivers friends of mine only know to fill up petrol when light shows up so how to ask :D

so,toyota wish should be quite a catch huh?what other model should I keep a look out too?Will be dropping by Ubi to look see look see this afternoon

• SRC Member

the matrix would certainly drain more pertrol compared with its japanese competitors of the same class because of the backward engine design.

vehicle weight is actually the main issue issue. toyota wish can have a very efficient VVTi engine, but in an MPV (40% heavier than a family sedan) dont expect petrol savings. and bigger cc not necessarily equals more consumption, but more rd tax

but i believe driving a big family ard in a 7 seater is worth worth much more than the extra bit of road tax and petrol. :)

• SRC Member
jesus christ . my 13 year old civic gets around 7km/l i thought it was so rubbish after my previous 03 corolla which could almost get around 10-12km/l . didnt know hyundai were so crappy

yalor,with the amount of money wasted on the petrol consumption,I can get a big big reef tank liao...

thats why thinking about a change now since petrol price going higher and higher..

My previous 3yrs+ civic was getting abt 13-14km/L but that's 90% citiy driving and 10% highway.

If go on 90% highway and 10% city then can hit 15-16km/L no problem.

Yup vehicle weights plays a part and you'll be suprised to know the current civic weights more than the corolla yet it still have better fuel consumption so engine design is very important.

• SRC Member
My previous 3yrs+ civic was getting abt 13-14km/L but that's 90% citiy driving and 10% highway.

If go on 90% highway and 10% city then can hit 15-16km/L no problem.

Yup vehicle weights plays a part and you'll be suprised to know the current civic weights more than the corolla yet it still have better fuel consumption so engine design is very important.

bro, simplified it a little can? woman driver is not so good in understanding this kind of engine thing :D:D:D

what should I look out when I go car hunting?

• SRC Member

Jaslyn

Avoid Korean or continental cars if you want to save on Petrol.

Japanese cars are more reliable and fuel consumption is lower. If you are looking for an MPV, Wish should be a good buy. Heard that the new Honda series of cars are more thrifty on petrol consumption but the price is generally higher. Not sure if they have an entry level MPV though.

Also heard that there will be a 1.6 MPV soon. Forgot which car/ brand. But in my opinion, The engine seems a little too small for an MPV size car.

Juz my thots.

• SRC Member
actually any differences buying from P importer or direct agent?

support, after sales service and servicing/accident claims/spare parts.

these are usually the main concerns when buying from PI.

Another good option for the MPV class is the 2L Honda Stream.

the Wish is slightly under powered when fully seated.

;)

• SRC Member

Honda Ody :P ....very popular car for the last few years, esp the current model.

2 of my frds bot it..review quite good.

BTW since we r on topic of petrol, anyone actually received a 40 pct discount on petrol purchase today from 4 pm onwards. There was a sms rumor going round yesterday that todat 4-8 pm petrol 40 pct discount. :yeah: ..Sorry to side track :paiseh:

As you said it is rumours :P

No suck things lah.

Someone actually called up the radio and they checked with the petrol company and they confirm it is just rumours.

Actually before this rumour started, I already read on some car forums that on the weekend before national day till nation day, the petrol will be 30% off and disel 10% off for total 40%.

Jaslyn

Avoid Korean or continental cars if you want to save on Petrol.

Japanese cars are more reliable and fuel consumption is lower. If you are looking for an MPV, Wish should be a good buy. Heard that the new Honda series of cars are more thrifty on petrol consumption but the price is generally higher. Not sure if they have an entry level MPV though.

Also heard that there will be a 1.6 MPV soon. Forgot which car/ brand. But in my opinion, The engine seems a little too small for an MPV size car.

Juz my thots.

:P:P ...Suzuki APV...1.6L...8 seater.... :sick::sick::sick:

• SRC Member
Honda Odyssey? The only MPV that feels like a sedan car.

The ody is indeed very car like in terms of driving and looks , not like some MPVs

which are branded as"expensive mini buses! :P .

Driving around town will give u abt 8-9km/l . On express will give u abt 11km/l. :)

• SRC Member

yeah leh,my dad called at about 5pm says the petrol stations along upper thomson side are having long long queue cos between 5-7pm,there is 40% discount to celebrate national day.He says there is no sign board outside so I guess either there is really such discount or every drivers would get pissed off when they filled up the pump and nothing happened

BTW just called the SPC upper thomson branch.They says its just a rumour and the long queue was due to the rumour.She told me today newspaper stated there would be this kind of rumour around today.Lucky I didnt waste my time going there.