petrol consumption.

Jaslyn

Opps! sorry.... the RAV4 FC was okay... now driving another car and the petrol tank seem to be leaking, traval a short distance can see the fuel guage needle dropping... :(

Foe those who are contemplating the RAV4, GO FOR IT... it's a wonderful car, good power over weight ratio, good road holding, reliable engine, never had a problem for the 2 years I drove it... :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I m using 98. Was thinking if I m able to just use the 95? Not very sure whats the differences though,to me,its unleaded :D

A tank of petrol like 52L, goes for max 360KM,thats if I ignored the blinking light until really cannot tahan anymore.Usually it was only about 300km.A few tmes was even around 270-280KM only.

Previously when I had the trajet,within 6mths,battery not working....after that,sterring wheel shaking...twirling to the left side....brake pad got problem....then within a yr,aircon foul smell....even with agent warranty,I wasnt able to get it really fixed.

Thats why I m worried about getting it from PI.Although my current matrix doesnt seem to have any problem beside the battery changed last yr.

If you're thinking of using RON95 fuel on your matrix then better think twice... one of my friend driving the matrix told me that some of the matrix driver filled RON95 fuel and after sometime the car cannot start, send back to agent and was told must use RON98 :P

If stated in manual min RON95 that means it can run on that fuel w/o any problem right?

Hi,

I got this from my friend who work in car industry, maybe it help, i am using 95 for my new sunny for about a year lau, no problem.

Regarding your sms earlier, using 95 petrol is good enough already. The difference between 98 and 95 is the Octane level - 98 petrol has lesser impurities than 95, which means it helps in smoother operation of the engine. Most people will use petrol with higher octane level for older engines, new engines is ok to use 95 unless you wanna let the gasoline manufacturers make more money off of you! Best way is to check your car manual or gas tank to see, I can help you if you don't know how to find it.

By the way, I managed to consolidate some information below which might be useful for you:

The composition of the chemicals which comprise petrol can vary widely. High quality petrol should have the right octane level to prevent knocking; strong cleaning power to prevent carbon build up, deliver more miles per gallon and ensure engine life is maximised; and the correct volatility to ensure vehicles accelerate smoothly and start first time.

The octane rating is a measure of a fuel's resistance to knocking. Knock, also known as `pinking', occurs during combustion when the fuel-air mixture explodes ahead of the flame front rather than burning smoothly, causing a knocking noise.

Most cars are designed to burn regular unleaded gas with an octane rating of 87. If the vehicle needs a higher octane rating this requirement is noted in the owner's manual and usually under the fuel gauge and by the gas tank.

The recommended gasoline for most cars is regular 87 octane. One common misconception is that higher octane gasoline contains more cleaning additives than lower octane gas. All octane grades of all brands of gasoline contain engine cleaning detergent additives to protect against engine deposit build-up. In fact, using a gasoline with too high of an octane rating may cause damage to the emissions system.

WHAT IF I PREFER TO USE GASOLINE WITH HIGHER OCTANE RATINGS?

You can, but there are no real benefits, other than the gasoline manufacturers making more money off of you. When you use a fuel with a higher octane rating than your vehicle requires, you can send this unburned fuel into the emissions system. It can also collect in the catalytic converter. When you over stress any system, it can malfunction or not do what it was designed to do properly. In the early 90's, an early warning symptom was a rotten egg smell from the tailpipe. Easy fix, go back to using regular 87 octane gasoline. The rude odor usually disappears after several tanks of gasoline.

• SRC Member

I am driving matrix 1.6A. Consumption around 10-11Km/Lt. Feel tat its already not bad for a car with unladen weight more than 1000kg.

U buy cheap car, pay more for petrol.

U buy expensive car, u pay lesser for petrol.

It works out the same. The only diff is the power.

Only fixed a cold air intake. Din go into other "fuel economy gadgets" as I feel tat its not worth it.

Jus for bros out there who wans some reference, with my tank topped to the brim, I can go 520km, almost reaching the fuel top up light lights up.

if jus top full, gets around 480km.

Performance wise, not as good as jap car definitely.

My friend driving Wish, he says its good. Powerful engine and he got around 13km/Lt of petrol.

Matrix can use 95 petrol, if i pump in s'pore, i use 95. If i go jb, i pump 98.

Not much diff whether using 95 or 98.

But tried 92 once.... my advice, dun use it. No power and can feel engine straining and vibrating. In the long run might damage engine.(in marine engine industry, so very sensitive to strange noise or vibration from engines)

Mechanic i went to advised me not to waste my $$ on 98 or v-power... dun let my $$ come out of my exhaust :P

If gonna scrape car soon, then use 92.

Jus my 2cents worth. Hope bros wont mind me adding to the thread.... :bow:

Watch your thoughts’ they become words.

Watch your words; they become actions.

Watch your actions; they become habits.

Watch your habits; they become character.

Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

--Frank Outlaw

• SRC Member
I am driving matrix 1.6A. Consumption around 10-11Km/Lt. Feel tat its already not bad for a car with unladen weight more than 1000kg.

U buy cheap car, pay more for petrol.

U buy expensive car, u pay lesser for petrol.

It works out the same. The only diff is the power.

Only fixed a cold air intake. Din go into other "fuel economy gadgets" as I feel tat its not worth it.

Jus for bros out there who wans some reference, with my tank topped to the brim, I can go 520km, almost reaching the fuel top up light lights up.

if jus top full, gets around 480km.

Performance wise, not as good as jap car definitely.

My friend driving Wish, he says its good. Powerful engine and he got around 13km/Lt of petrol.

Matrix can use 95 petrol, if i pump in s'pore, i use 95. If i go jb, i pump 98.

Not much diff whether using 95 or 98.

But tried 92 once.... my advice, dun use it. No power and can feel engine straining and vibrating. In the long run might damage engine.(in marine engine industry, so very sensitive to strange noise or vibration from engines)

Mechanic i went to advised me not to waste my $$ on 98 or v-power... dun let my $$ come out of my exhaust :P

If gonna scrape car soon, then use 92.

Jus my 2cents worth. Hope bros wont mind me adding to the thread.... :bow:

Im driving Matrix 1.6A too but how come is your matrix FC so different?Not to mention about city drive that full tank usually dry below 300km,Max to 340-360 if continue to ignore the light.Even a nonstop trip to genting, a full tank went dry on 400km max.

Amazing that your matrix can go till this limit.If my matrix FC is like that,I wouldnt bother to change liao

• SRC Member
Im driving Matrix 1.6A too but how come is your matrix FC so different?Not to mention about city drive that full tank usually dry below 300km,Max to 340-360 if continue to ignore the light.Even a nonstop trip to genting, a full tank went dry on 400km max.

Amazing that your matrix can go till this limit.If my matrix FC is like that,I wouldnt bother to change liao

Its true. Been monitoring it for the past one year. Most of the time i drive expressway. City very seldom. Did realise tat if i travel more on city or estate roads, FC not as good oso.

My city+expressway drives at least can give me 460-480km average before light comes out.

If mostly city roads, then 400-460km. Think its the driving habit too. In the first few gears, I try to maintain less than 2500rpm. U step, when near to 2500, let go a bit, then step again. It will shift the gear.

According to wat u mentioned, 400 a bit low.

I get 520km if i pump to the brim.

Maybe can get ur O2 sensor checked.

I met this guy at a workshop, his full tank gave him 360km only. Some more he fixed a lot of gadgets to save fuel. So he brought it in to check his sensor as he suspects tat it is causing more fuel intake.

Maybe bring to komoco and check.

Cheers :lol:

--Frank Outlaw

• SRC Member

he :P , dun know whether u are the guy i met bro.

--Frank Outlaw

• SRC Member
Hi,

I got this from my friend who work in car industry, maybe it help, i am using 95 for my new sunny for about a year lau, no problem.

Regarding your sms earlier, using 95 petrol is good enough already. The difference between 98 and 95 is the Octane level - 98 petrol has lesser impurities than 95, which means it helps in smoother operation of the engine. Most people will use petrol with higher octane level for older engines, new engines is ok to use 95 unless you wanna let the gasoline manufacturers make more money off of you! Best way is to check your car manual or gas tank to see, I can help you if you don't know how to find it.

By the way, I managed to consolidate some information below which might be useful for you:

The composition of the chemicals which comprise petrol can vary widely. High quality petrol should have the right octane level to prevent knocking; strong cleaning power to prevent carbon build up, deliver more miles per gallon and ensure engine life is maximised; and the correct volatility to ensure vehicles accelerate smoothly and start first time.

The octane rating is a measure of a fuel's resistance to knocking. Knock, also known as `pinking', occurs during combustion when the fuel-air mixture explodes ahead of the flame front rather than burning smoothly, causing a knocking noise.

Most cars are designed to burn regular unleaded gas with an octane rating of 87. If the vehicle needs a higher octane rating this requirement is noted in the owner's manual and usually under the fuel gauge and by the gas tank.

The recommended gasoline for most cars is regular 87 octane. One common misconception is that higher octane gasoline contains more cleaning additives than lower octane gas. All octane grades of all brands of gasoline contain engine cleaning detergent additives to protect against engine deposit build-up. In fact, using a gasoline with too high of an octane rating may cause damage to the emissions system.

WHAT IF I PREFER TO USE GASOLINE WITH HIGHER OCTANE RATINGS?

You can, but there are no real benefits, other than the gasoline manufacturers making more money off of you. When you use a fuel with a higher octane rating than your vehicle requires, you can send this unburned fuel into the emissions system. It can also collect in the catalytic converter. When you over stress any system, it can malfunction or not do what it was designed to do properly. In the early 90's, an early warning symptom was a rotten egg smell from the tailpipe. Easy fix, go back to using regular 87 octane gasoline. The rude odor usually disappears after several tanks of gasoline.

hi symee,

this is what i get a VW forum which was extracted from one of the brochures on their latest engine(FSI):

------------

"Thanks to knock control, unleaded four star (at least 95 RON) can be used instead of unleaded Super plus. In order to achieve maximum fuel consumption benefits on the FSI engine, Ultra Low Sulphur Petrol (ULSP) must be used."

-----------

i had the impression that it's better to go for higher RONs(which inturn is better in petrol quality)... no? if i am not mistaken it's the older engines that may have problem if the owner uses higher RONs.

I also have the impression that BHP(horsepower) ratings are not entirely correct due to the RONs. eg. If you use petrol with 100RON, your BHP rating could be higher compare to 95RON.

• SRC Member

madman,

I still dont get it how can you get those fuel consumption on the car so different than mine... :o

Its almost like double up than mine.Even if I dont drive expressway so often.I use the car to chauffer husband to mrt station in the morning,kids to school nearby and grocery shopping only...cant be so big apart mah.

By the way,yesterday on the way back home from grocery,the light lighted up so I went to SPC to top up 95.I told them to pump $30 only since I only have $30 in the car.this was my first time using 95 but that fellow pumped in full tank.I only had $30 with me so no choice the station have to waive the balance.

By the way,yesterday on the way back home from grocery,the light lighted up so I went to SPC to top up 95.I told them to pump $30 only since I only have $30 in the car.this was my first time using 95 but that fellow pumped in full tank.I only had $30 with me so no choice the station have to waive the balance.

Wah... I got an idea! :idea::idea::idea:

:eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:

post-34-1105890976.jpg

Rav,

If we meet at LCK, then can have a friendly race around the farm roads...ha ha...make you burn more petrol since now so expensive! :lol:

Bro,

me safety driver lah... normally even the Ah Pek in those old little scooters can overtake me... :P

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

back to this topic of petrol consumption.O2 sensor checked,nothing wrong.Monitored it last 2 pumps,it was 43L for 285km on 95.

almost all bros here recommended honda and toyota.Any other brand that is good in petrol consumption? Any comment about 2nd hand car?I have been scouting around before the decision is made,very headache leh...

• SRC Member
toyata... full tank 40 litres go up till 600km... smooth drives no high rev... high rev can go up till 400km...

it always hearing the bleeding fountain in my heart when someone's car has better FC than mine,especially one that drives the same car as me....

so, lets give some opinion about brand new and 2nd hand car, of course still still the FC.