Timer for Chiller?

• SRC Member

bro..if night temp is low..the chiller is return may nt even kick in..bcosas u sae..the whether is cold at nite...

alrite alrite...relax...i tink bro minsmarine hav his reason to say tinks which he tinks is rite....

cool down.. :D

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Cool it ........man!!! Looks like the "HEATER is on instead".

Just think of our fridge & aircon - Do we turn them of and on to save energy? The built-in themostats will do the necessary in controlling the temperature. We will in fact be using more energy for the chiller to stop......temperature pickup in tank.....then chiller start again to cool the higher temperature......

This is my theory.

• SRC Member

See the way bro cyclop relied . its the same point but the way he talks makes it more friendly right? anyway...im not angry .. just dont like attitude of people who thinks the whole world owes him.

PeacE~ :evil:

• SRC Member

LS, correct me please

there are two parameters

one is compressor rating

and

another is refrigeration rating.

Based on your calculation, mean refrignation rating is power consuming. Mean less power consuming than compressor.

So called CL650

which is 1/4 HP for compressor while 650W for refrigeration. So end up less than 1/5 HP in refrigeration. Mean CL650 consume only 149W of PUB bill :)

mann.., how do you derive to this numbers eh?

I see left, right, centre also catch no ball. :lol:

care to share your working calculation here?

I am curious about the CL650

• SRC Member

bro..relax la...bro minsmarine dun mean to lecture u..jus that he stated that u hav done ur hw long enough..n shld noe very well that chiller dun hav to install a timer one ma.. :P

yah Deadmanz,

relax. probably minsmarine wasn't aware of your upmost priority to help your family cut down on PUB charges, he may have look at it from the point of view of the fundamental role of a chiller. Both yours and his concern are valid too.

but when you cover one hole(PUB $$), you can't cover another hole(temp issue).

Perhaps that's life :D

But its good that you raise this concern to share with us, otherwise i also "gong gong" dun know chiller got so many power consumption calculation there, by our senior reefer LightingStrike.

But.., until now i also can't figure out la. :lol::lol:

• SRC Member

I was using a Resun 280CL for my 2.5" tank at a set temp of 26C and it was practically kicking in/out every 5-10 min with my setup. These had been experienced by quite a no. of reefers.

To save cost I did what you did. I put in a timer and adjusted for a total chiller operation time of about 12 hours; i.e more during the hot afternoon period. And yes, my tank temp did flucuated quite a bit but for 2 years it does not seem to effect my mostly LPS as much. The saving on the PUB bill I thought is more than the lost on the frequent compressor start/stop and expected life of the chiller.

My chiller is still working but 4 months back I changed to a Resun 650 because of the 'quietness' & supposely more power and less kick-in/out. I was wrong (maybe my setup is incorrect), the CL650 still kick in/out about every 15 min (thought should be greater than 2 hrs) and my PUB bill balloned to an extra S$40 every month.

Then I found out quite a no of reefers had similar problem and they did some modification (adding ext temp controller) and managed to improved the kick in/out by quite a bit. I had not did the modification yet but I knew the frequent kick in/out of the chiller does not translate to an actual tank temp change but likely due to the design of the Resun 650. The tank temp still hold at 26C even after the chiller kick out for more than an hour.

Hence I put back my Timer again and yes my PUB bill return to normal. My LS are not stress as much as the last time when using the 280CL as the current 650 is more than sufficient to hold the temp long enough. This I will do until I solve the problem of the frequent chiller kick in/out.

• SRC Member
Eh minismarine. its not i never read or do any homework. I did READ about the chiller . iTS just that I'm ASking a Question Whether A timer on CHilleR will HElp To Cut Down Electricity bill or not as im not the one paying the bill. Just trying to save some money for my mum. If my questions really made u feel unhappy or what..u can choose not to reply. Who are u to lecture me ?

And thanks to the bros out there who advises me.

Dear DeadmanZ

If you DID READ about Chiller, you should know how the chiller WORK. The question that you had asked was the question look like from someone who doesn't know HOW CHILLER WORK.

You has been looking for 2-3 months, than if I go straigh to point, what have you had learned rather than chiller brand.

I didn't mean to leacture you and I have no right to leccture you. But I did what tell my mind off, come on , I guess u r still the student, u go to exam without studying and when u saw the paper you asked the teacher, I'd never seem this kind of question in my life, what would teacher in charge would say.

If your motive was to save PUB bill for your mother, I am so happy.

However, if you know how chiller work, reading from SRC, RC, talking to friend, you would have know, chiller's most important part is PUMP which drive chiller kick in and out often.

It's obevious, you DIDN"T READ CORRECT. you might have read how much chiller cost, how to install chiller.

In marine, you don't need to know how much a fish or coral cost, you need to know how they live , how to take care than.

If you feel I lectured you, go ahead and think, however, don't make yourself fool. You ask yourself in 6 months down the road, you will be laughing yourself, what kind of silly question you had asked.

How many experienced reefer replied to your thread, think , WHY NOT. because your question.

But me stupid, could not help typing.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

Hi to all who is entertaining the idea of putting a timer on the chiller... PLS DUN DO THAT!

Juz for info... All chillers, be it for hobby or domestic usage, they dun need a timer as power on/off will incur even more cost. There is always a power surge in equipments like fridge, chiller, washing machine etc. all those that consume high wattage. This surge do draw in more power and imagine 24hrs there is so many on/off??? There will be alot of surge... sure will end up with a higher cost.

As for HP and Watts. A good chiller will be one that can give high HP but consume low wattage... so far not many in the market.

cheers and happy reefing.

• SRC Member
Hi to all who is entertaining the idea of putting a timer on the chiller... PLS DUN DO THAT!

Juz for info... All chillers, be it for hobby or domestic usage, they dun need a timer as power on/off will incur even more cost. There is always a power surge in equipments like fridge, chiller, washing machine etc. all those that consume high wattage. This surge do draw in more power and imagine 24hrs there is so many on/off??? There will be alot of surge... sure will end up with a higher cost.

As for HP and Watts. A good chiller will be one that can give high HP but consume low wattage... so far not many in the market.

Nitro have hit the bulls eye on his reply.

Kiddo, it wasn't nice to rebuke anyone whom try to give advice or reply to your thread. Even if it's unpleasant or have the tone of lecture. :evil:

It's true that you must understand how a chiller or compressor works rather than trying to do funny things to save on electricity. Anyway, if you are really hoping to save electricity, you should have bought fans instead. Right? Also turning on/off chiller too frequent will shorten the lifespan of the chiller.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

LS, correct me please

there are two parameters

one is compressor rating

and

another is refrigeration rating.

Based on your calculation, mean refrignation rating is power consuming. Mean less power consuming than compressor.

So called CL650

which is 1/4 HP for compressor while 650W for refrigeration. So end up less than 1/5 HP in refrigeration. Mean CL650 consume only 149W of PUB bill :)

minsmarine, i dun really get what u r trying to say.

I cannot say for sure resun CL650 consumes how much electricity, as i hv neither the knowledge of its compressor motor size nor the power consumption of the compressor at max load.

hotlemond, i am juz a regular reefer....... juz like u and everyone else.

:) HTH

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

just a simple question had made mi look stupid? is that because ur children had been asking u this kind of questions? Glad that u know u had no rights to lecture me also. Dont think that just because u r a so call 'experience reefer' give u the right to talk like as if u got a big ######. U can lecture anyone for all u care.. but let mi tell u. im not the type that u can lecture :D .

• SRC Member

for chillers that kicks in every 10-30 mins, pls check where ur chiller draws

the water and where is the output. If u draws water and put back water

in the same compartment of the sump, then of coz u will experience the

frequent on/off.

try putting the chiller pump in the begining compartment and the output

in the last. U will notice the different.

If u are still experiencing frequent on/off after the change, then maybe

there are too many heat generation devices in/out of ur tank etc,

such that ur tank temperature change is great. Even a higher HP chiller

cant help much in this case. :ph34r:

cheers

• SRC Member

neokn..kiddo? Dont step in and add on making noise la. if u was just trying to ask u question..just a simple question. but u got lectured for being stupid. how do u feel? Either choose to reply can or cannot only.. but y must some people talk like i just killed his family? I dont understand why

• SRC Member

Hi to the offended parties... PLS DUN FIGHT!

Everyone is new somewhere and everyone is experienced in another. So dun be offended lar B) Guess in this hobby, everyone really njoy it and juz wanna share experiences, for some... maybe more active to help while some ...are more quiet. It's juz a marine hobby... let us juz njoy keeping them OK? cheers... Weekend is coming liao :lol:

• SRC Member

Dear DeadmanZ

We are learning everyday, everything. Somepeople are sharp, somepople are slow.

Somepeople use their IQ, EQ before ask the question. Do their homework.

My kids never ask me that kind of question because they are trained to do their very best first. do their homework, evern before they shoot the question.

Oneday, you will become a parent. How would you answer , if you child as you why do we use our legs to walk ?

Think before you ask question. Did I try my very best to answer myself ? Your question, think about it.

1st. If you wanted to save PUB bill, you should have use Fan instead of Chiller.

2nd. To save PUB bill , you would ask question like how to save PUB bill by running chiller rather than

your way of asking question. You give people impression that your way of doing will save and asked for comment. So we give.

Now, if I attack ur theory, how are u going to defence ur theory.

U r clueless.

U r rushing to tell every1 off.

Remember, u want to learn , so u r receiving side, not given side. If you think u r on upper hand. Be a Man, go ahead. There is no1 will give u peice of advice if you are on upper hand. Most of the time, they give you otherway wrong.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

mr minsmarine.. using a timer for a chiller was an idea given to me by another reefer.. for what i ask this question ? because i wanted to confirm with u all guys that i'll work out.. if not i would just have get a timer n run it on my chiller. for what i wants to ask? Was just asking for advises.. if not would i be posting in 'new to marine aquaria hobby' ? But do u have to start lecturing? LEts say ur child ask u a question.. do u start shooting at him ?

• SRC Member

1st u already get wrong advise from people, u should glad we are here to help u.

2nd u wanted to confirm wrong advise and put it as your idea.

3rd u think I am lecturing.

I always tell my children, do your very best first.

Our brain system is to think, if you don't think LOGIC first. you made yourself fool in other people eyes. Like Penut.

Now I find you r keep changing your position.

1st u put it as it's ur idea.

2nd u defend as u want to save electronic bill

3rd by given logic u could not defend than

4th now u said it's some1 else idea.

I am just wonder what would be ur 5th move.

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

Comon la min.. the way u told simply piss ppl off.. ppl was just asking a question cant u just reply? must u talk as u are some kind of great lecturer? Yes i'm glad there are bros who advises mi on the wrong advise i get but certainly im not glad to be lectured. Everyone here sure wans to have fun reefing n surfing src. For what must u be a spoiler trying to act like a lecturer? yes i agReed that the Advises u gave help but Its the attitude of yours that im pissed off.

• SRC Member

1st u put it as it's ur idea.

if i wan to ask a question..do i have to add on 'ITS MY FRIEND IDEA? '

2nd u defend as u want to save electronic bill

Thats why im here asking bros here If this method works on saving Bill

• SRC Member

as long as you don't love me I am fine , because I am not a gay.

So suite yourself.

U could always quoted as "some1 advise me that", "would that be true"

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

WORLD PEACE!! :bow:

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

hi, i am also thinking of using the same on/off method for my cl650 but the thing

is when power is on again for the next time, only 230v to the thermostat

controller i assume drawing very low amp , the compressor will not be on for say

another 1 min. so is there still any surge? correct me if i'm wrong, still

learning. :lol:

• SRC Member

Silly as it may seem, I also learnt from my own silly mistake before and I paid the price of higher elect. bills and faster breakdown of the appliance...... and other things too. That's why I would advise others not to do it.

All of us learn, one time or another, in life. It's alright to make mistakes. But, not learning from it and repeating the same mistake again....... is a serious problem.

Through this SRC forum page we learn from one another - novices learn from veterans -veterans also learn from veterans - ...........it goes round and round.

Let's do so happily!!!!!!!!

hi, i am also thinking of using the same on/off method for my cl650 but the thing

is when power is on again for the next time, only 230v to the thermostat

controller i assume drawing very low amp , the compressor will not be on for say

another 1 min. so is there still any surge? correct me if i'm wrong, still

learning. :lol:

as long as ur compressor is not running, ur thermostat is drawing very little electricity; even if it is switched on 24/7.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png