Need advise for Nitrate Problems

• SRC Member

Hi all,

These days I realise some nuisance brown hair algae growing on my LRs. Gossh... they grow and spread quite fast. Some more with a lot of tiny bubbles sticking on them, very unsightly... My tank is 3ft and I regulary change water fortnightly, uses a protein skimmer and oso use aquaphos. The hair algaes only start to appear only recently.

I read from somewhere that this is an indication of nitrate problem right?? :o The hair algae fluorishes in waters of nitrate and use them as their nutrients right?

Thus I am thinking of buying a denitrator to solve the problem. Should I? Will it help? If so, any good denitrators to buy and where? Budget quite limited. Hopefully in the range of $100-200. Pls advise :thanks: . Thank you very much to all!!

• SRC Member

before you rush out for the denitrator, you may want to look at your circulation, sump media.

circulation as in term of no dead spot where left over food can stay long enough and rot. and are you usinmg any floss, bio-ball?

in that price range I am looking at a Macro brand

• SRC Member

Hi, thks for ur advise. But i dun quite really understand wat u mean by looking at my sump media? (No offence ;) ). Currently i am using a simple overflow sump, where the any detritus in water will be first trap by cotton wool. Next is the skimmer, and then finally pass thru the aquaphos before return by return pump.

Is that ok?

As for the circulation, I think u have a point there. My motor inside the tank is blown across to the glass. However, there seem to be always detritus on the LRs when I blow them with a maintainance motor every week. I will try to change the direction of my motor.

I read from the arofanatics forum that many have negative opinions on Marco denitrator... that's why I am asking for more options and hopefully in the price range that is affordable to me... :lol:

What is your PO4 and NO3 reading?

Regards

Sherman

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member
Hi, thks for ur advise. But i dun quite really understand wat u mean by looking at my sump media? (No offence  ;) ). Currently i am using a simple overflow sump, where the any detritus in water will be first trap by cotton wool. Next is the skimmer, and then finally pass thru the aquaphos before return by return pump.

Is that ok?

As for the circulation, I think u have a point there. My motor inside the tank is blown across to the glass. However, there seem to be always detritus on the LRs when I blow them with a maintainance motor every week. I will try to change the direction of my motor.

I read from the arofanatics forum that many have negative opinions on Marco denitrator... that's why I am asking for more options and hopefully in the price range that is affordable to me...  :lol:

i was quite concern of the amount of filter floss you would use there. But if you are only using a single layer to trap debris from the overflow discharge and you wash/change them often, then you would have half resolve the issue, other than the water flow in main tank.

On my understanding, at the price range only the Macro can fit into it. A popular one are Aqua Medic but they are expensive.

but a good denitrator is just another alternative. having a powerful skimmer can pull out more DOC before they get the change to foul your water.

• SRC Member

Hi

I have just tested my water. NO3- is 20ppm (mg/L). This value is not exceptionally high in my tank, just that my tank nitrate is always at this value.

As for PO42-. I don't know cos I dun have a test kit for that. I regularly change my aquaphos (quantity abt 1/4 of a can unit) every 2-3weeks.

To hotlemond,

I am using a few layers of cotton wool (abt 3). Thks for ur advise. My skimmer is a moderate one, marco AS-150. Not the best, but i think shld work quite ok. It skims out brown fluid, so thinks shld be doing it's job. :P

Any more suggestions that I could do to resolve the nuisance hair algae problem, to reduce my nitrate? Shld I lessen my photoperiod (now is abt 8-9hrs) until it gets better?

May I also know what price is the Aquamedic denitrator abt? Jus curious.. :thanks:

Thank you very much.

• SRC Member

The aquamedic one can be anywhere around 4x the price of your skimmer. + if you get a redox meter + feed pump :pinch:

20ppm is not that high, growing macro algae in about a 2ft area(refugium or sump) may be able to lower it by half- choose fast growing algae & harvest on a regular basis. Better skimming will lower it a few more ppm. That leaves you with abt 5ppm or so...really not an issue especially if you don't keep sps. Look around on NNR (Natural Nitrate Reduction methods).

More liverock can also help with a few ppm.

Your aquaphos may actually not be saturated and you could be throwing money away or then again you may not be using enough, cause your PO4 levels are 3ppm.....you need to know. ;) that's more important than a denitrator (& much cheaper).

according to my references....(the cheapo's guide to the universe, holistic edition)

If you look at getting a rabbit fish or foxface and it will be algae away. They eat every kind of vegetation(including every kind of caulerpa), except cyano.

Increase water circulation, 10% water change a week & better skimming (upgrade or pop in an extra skimmer).

rgds :eyeblur:

• SRC Member

Aquamedic denitator comes in 3 sizes, 400L,1000L & 5000L. The most common ones is the 1000L model which I'm using currently,retail price is $800plus inclusive of the SP3000 dosing pump.

Only 1 word: Cool stuff & very efficent! never regret buying it :)

for people who wants to know more here u go:

Aquamedic denitrator NR1000

• SRC Member

my 200 over aqua medic denitrator for 400liters need constant tuning and cleaning of the hose which always choke up the flow cause i not using the dosing pump which cause also 200 over. in the end i sold it away , too troublesome for me imo.

get a better skimmer will solve the problem better i think. ;) some more no need to change deniballs yearly $$$

• SRC Member
KTLK,

By using the deniballs means no need for regular dosage of denimar powder? Or requires regular dosing of denimar?

The deniballs are supposed to melt and disappear into the denitrator?

initially when the deniballs are still new & not "melt" yet,we have to feed the bacterial with denimar powder. After 6wks of running,u will notice the deniballs start to peel off. This indicate that the device is starting to "kick" in & feeding of the powder can be reduce till fully use up. After the deniballs have fully "melted"which is around 1 year,its time to induce in new supply :)

• SRC Member
my 200 over aqua medic denitrator for 400liters need constant tuning and cleaning of the hose which always choke up the flow cause i not using the dosing pump which cause also 200 over. in the end i sold it away , too troublesome for me imo.

get a better skimmer will solve the problem better i think. ;) some more no need to change deniballs yearly $$$

that's right,the 400L model doesn't comes with the dosing pump & if u purchase the pump,then the cost is very near to the 1000L model. My friend is having a 200L tank but he chose the 1000L model due to this reason.

that's right,the 400L model doesn't comes with the dosing pump & if u purchase the pump,then the cost is very near to the 1000L model. My friend is having a 200L tank but he chose the 1000L model due to this reason.

How about the dosing pump, does it clogs up easily?

• SRC Member

how much is those deni balls????

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.