Centropyge up lorry during quarantine

• SRC Member

Hi Bros,

Today my 3rd Centropyge died in QT.

Fish 1, Goldie angel lasted for 1 week and died, not eating and always hiding. no Ich observed :cry:

Fish 2, Potter angel, eating algae on the glass of the QT tank but keeps hiding on the third day and went up lorry on the 5th day. No Ich observed :unsure:

Fish 3, bi-color angel, eating cyclopeeze until yesterday, breathing very hard this morning before I go to work. Probably will go up lorry when I reach home after work. Observed light infestation of Ich yesterday morning and this morning, probably because of the dilution of the copper due to water changes I made.

Fish 1 and 2 was quaratined user Cupramine per intructions. Fish 3, the bicolor was qurantined using half dose per seachem instructions.

Water quality:

Ammonia 0

No2 0

SG 1.021

Tank volume 51 litres.

bros Please help, I am about to give up on dwarf angels.

:thanks:

• SRC Member

my experience with timid fishes:

I use a tank covered on all 4 sides, only view is from the front. My fish quarantine tank have some rocks, but quite a few PVC fittings large enough for the fish to hide. I have a high efficiency low wattage bulb over the tank 24hr to provide subtle lighting. Tank temp is maintained at 30 degress, but with overskimming to provide enough aeration.

Seems that even with good water quality, sometimes, the environment is still too stressful for the fish to settle down. I used some of the methodology for discus keeping here, and it works for me, at least most of the times.

For your consideration.

:)

• SRC Member
my experience with timid fishes:

I use a tank covered on all 4 sides, only view is from the front. My fish quarantine tank have some rocks, but quite a few PVC fittings large enough for the fish to hide. I have a high efficiency low wattage bulb over the tank 24hr to provide subtle lighting. Tank temp is maintained at 30 degress, but with overskimming to provide enough aeration.

Seems that even with good water quality, sometimes, the environment is still too stressful for the fish to settle down. I used some of the methodology for discus keeping here, and it works for me, at least most of the times.

For your consideration.

:)

Thanks for the reply. Do you use copper to treat your centropyge as well. In some websites they say that centropyge do not tolerate copper well :cry:

Thanks

Hi Bros,

Fish 1, Goldie angel lasted for 1 week and died, not eating and always hiding. no Ich observed :cry:

Fish 2, Potter angel, eating algae on the glass of the QT tank but keeps hiding on the third day and went up lorry on the 5th day. No Ich observed :unsure:

Fish 3, bi-color angel, eating cyclopeeze until yesterday, breathing very hard this morning before I go to work. Probably will go up lorry when I reach home after work. Observed light infestation of Ich yesterday morning and this morning, probably because of the dilution of the copper due to water changes I made.

Fish 1 and 2 was quaratined user Cupramine per intructions. Fish 3, the bicolor was qurantined using half dose per seachem instructions.

Water quality:

Ammonia 0

No2 0

SG 1.021

Tank volume 51 litres.

Hi bro. please do not feel dishearted due to loss of fishes as I have such dreadful experiences myself just weeks ago :( I have discovered that fish loss due to excessive white spots on the it's body is due to very poor water quality <_< Although my parameters does not show any harmful readings and changing of water does not help either, I have result it by replacing activated carbon weekly instead of monthly :D

I understand doing it this way may not solve the core problem but it really helps in maintaining water quality and till now I am still doing it as soon once D.O.C are completely removed, I will resume the standard periodic of changing activated carbon on monthly basis :heh:

I am not really an expert in marine reef keeping but at least my current practice have shown great water quality improvement :D I will also recommend you to seek reefers like weileong or blueheaven for help as I regard them as pioneers in this hobby keeping ;)

:lol:

cheers

What Matters Is Not By Comparing Ourselves With Others

What We Can Do For Others Matters Most

• SRC Member

Hi bro. please do not feel dishearted due to loss of fishes as I have such dreadful experiences myself just weeks ago :( I have discovered that fish loss due to excessive white spots on the it's body is due to very poor water quality <_< Although my parameters does not show any harmful readings and changing of water does not help either, I have result it by replacing activated carbon weekly instead of monthly :D

I understand doing it this way may not solve the core problem but it really helps in maintaining water quality and till now I am still doing it as soon once D.O.C are completely removed, I will resume the standard periodic of changing activated carbon on monthly basis :heh:

I am not really an expert in marine reef keeping but at least my current practice have shown great water quality improvement :D I will also recommend you to seek reefers like weileong or blueheaven for help as I regard them as pioneers in this hobby keeping ;)

cheers

hi daryl,

can i know how much the GAC have help you improve the quality of your water parameters? how and wat do u base this on?

wow, i didn't know that WL and BH had been reefing for so long liaoz?

cheers!

;)

• SRC Member

cheers

Bro Thanks for the comforting words and advice, I will try to start a air driven protien skimmer in my QT tank to see if I there is further improvement.

Thank to all who replied. :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

• SRC Member

I do not use Copper, as the QT is a running system with LR. My QT issn't really used to screen out diseases, I am using it to try to acclimatise my fishes to eat with no competition from other fishes who are already feeding.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
Just a small hang on filter and small pump for water circulation will do the trick.

Hi weileong,

hang on filter??? dun reali understand. is it those over head filter where the wool is at the top. ( like freshwater filter) or those submerge in the tank??

water condition without any skimmer??? how to make sure the condition in the quarantine tank is good??? is it partial water change with my main tank water every week??

:eyeblur:

• SRC Member

Hi weileong,

hang on filter??? dun reali understand. is it those over head filter where the wool is at the top. ( like freshwater filter) or those submerge in the tank??

water condition without any skimmer??? how to make sure the condition in the quarantine tank is good??? is it partial water change with my main tank water every week??

:eyeblur:

I am just using the normal one. Cost only $15. Dont think there are any overflow filters made for marine use.

I am not using a skimmer. I just do partial water change each week.

• SRC Member
Hi Bros,

Fish 1, Goldie angel lasted for 1 week and died, not eating and always hiding. no Ich observed  :cry:

Fish 2, Potter angel, eating algae on the glass of the QT tank but keeps hiding on the third day and went up lorry on the 5th day. No Ich observed  :unsure:

Water quality:

Ammonia 0

No2 0

SG 1.021

Tank volume 51 litres.

My Golden went up the lorry too. It was a bit too huge to hide in the piping I prepared.

I have no problem with my Potter though. It is not eating any prepared food but I have live rocks with a lot of algae of it to glaze on. It has been close to 2 weeks liao. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Hope to release into my main tank when it starts feeling on prepared food or at least pellets.

I do not have any problem with my Lemon Peel and Coral Beauty too. They chase Henry's food like crazy.

• SRC Member

My Golden went up the lorry too. It was a bit too huge to hide in the piping I prepared.

I have no problem with my Potter though. It is not eating any prepared food but I have live rocks with a lot of algae of it to glaze on. It has been close to 2 weeks liao. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Hope to release into my main tank when it starts feeling on prepared food or at least pellets.

I do not have any problem with my Lemon Peel and Coral Beauty too. They chase Henry's food like crazy.

on occasion, i find it better to just put them in the main tank regardless of whelther they are feeding prepared food or not.... :ooh: as long as they seems to be healthy and grow fatter (by pecking on algae) during the QT.....

For example, my Tomini to date has never taken any prepared food but still going strong by the days (close to 5 months in main tank liao)....if i let it stayed in QT waiting for it to feed, it might have died laio.....

Similarly, i had a powder black that never feeds on prepare food during the QT period (but peck alot of the algae in the main tank)......but after 2-3months in main tank, it started taking to pellets....

Finally had a kole eye that never feeds when i QT, but when i added a clown fish, it started to take pellets....

dynamics of fishes are sometimes very werid...you should practice good suggestion recommended on the net - but sometime have to exerise a bit of initalitve and thinking...;)

• SRC Member

on occasion, i find it better to just put them in the main tank regardless of whelther they are feeding prepared food or not.... :ooh: as long as they seems to be healthy and grow fatter (by pecking on algae) during the QT.....

For example, my Tomini to date has never taken any prepared food but still going strong by the days (close to 5 months in main tank liao)....if i let it stayed in QT waiting for it to feed, it might have died laio.....

Similarly, i had a powder black that never feeds on prepare food during the QT period (but peck alot of the algae in the main tank)......but after 2-3months in main tank, it started taking to pellets....

Finally had a kole eye that never feeds when i QT, but when i added a clown fish, it started to take pellets....

dynamics of fishes are sometimes very werid...you should practice good suggestion recommended on the net - but sometime have to exerise a bit of initalitve and thinking...;)

It is always hard to decide, I ever introduce two juvunile black poma into my main tank w/o QT and they got itch after one week and infected my flame as well. Eventually all 3 went up the lorry.

• SRC Member

no no no..i'm not implying that one should aviod the QT part just that sometime one should not wait too long for the fishes to be trained to feed before putting it to the main tank.....

anyway, i find that as long as your fishes are stable in your main tank and the parameters are good....even if new fish causes infection, the existing one are likely to be able to fight it off.....now of course if the fishes in your tank is constantly understand stress (agression, in-compatible pairing of fishes, lack of food...etc) - then that is another matter all together....