Review on the different kinds of Marine Salts

hongqixian

• SRC Member
I am using tropic marine now. Found that the salt is quite good, as my LPS responded well to the water changes even if I dissolve the salt on the spot and then add it to the tank. The only other one i tried was corallife. That was a disaster, probably due to my water changing habits. And I get my salt from petmart too. Found that their price is reasonable as far as I know. ( and is nearest to my house :D) Nowadays, I just get the 150 gallon pack from them.

Just my experience. Any more has experience with red sea?

Yep!!

Got most of my stuff from P** M*** too. I paid $37 for my tropic marine and am shock to see that they are only seeing for $30 at P** M***.

I think there may be another thing to consider for salt - Usage.

If the salt is cheap and you have to use a lot each time. Isnt that the same as to paying more for water change?

For tropic marine, I need about 40 tablespoons to rise the salinity level of 15 litres of water to 1.022.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

I was using Tropic Marine previous which works very well for me. I have since switch to Marine Enviornment Salt, the one with a little bottle. Honestly, I cannot tell if there's any difference... Or is it just me? :blink:

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member

I think ME is quite a high priced salt, right?

yes, as compare to other, it rather abit high, going at about $14 for a pack of 2 kg and can treat about 60L. Quiet 'siong' you know, so thought of changing to other, maybe tropic marine, seen very good. alot of experts are using it.

:thanks:

• SRC Member

I thought product review is based on hands on experience. Reference to resource is needed if "heard" from third party.

From Hong review,

a. Kent Marine Salt- l've heard

b. Instant Ocean- I'm planning to try it soon

c. Tropic Marin - I've had good but not spectacular results with it. What is good and what is not spectacular.

d. Reef Crystals- I heard it's not a good salt. Skip it.

e. Coralife salt. I have a friend

f. Red Sea Salt - I've heard.

g. Deep Ocean: I've heard affect the pH.

IME, any brand of salts if expose to moisture will harden and makes it difficult to dissolve. So, keep your unused salt tightly seal.

• 3 months later...
  • SRC Member

a. Kent Marine Salt- suck big time in dissolving. Probably wouldn't even dissolve fully if left bubbling for days.

b. Instant Ocean- OK

c. Tropic Marin - OK

f. Red Sea Salt - OK. Cheap too. $12 - $14

anyway how does one determine if the salt is very good?... For me its only the way it dissolves..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
This

reefsalt.jpg

From Eaquanature...

i head this brand is good rite ? i saw it in a reef magazine

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member

i used b4 kent marine, instant ocean and coral marine(part of marine environment)

Kent marine - Best solubility 4 me. But its expensive, and not equally good as compared to others...

Instant ocean - Second in solubility. Its good on the whole.

Coral Marine - Bad solubility, but it does kinda wonders in my tanks! corals more brilliant in colour... wonder y...

• SRC Member

I once tried a taiwanese brand which is $7/3.3kg but its very bad. But that time I was new. They have bad solublity and even some shreded papers!

The fishes in these waters wont suvive long.

So i checked and found these water have very low KH, trace elements,.......

salt manufacture claimed in their packing they have good trace elements but all BS.

I will never trust Asian things that uses to mix into water. Just a cheaper things will end up I pay everything.