RAV-65's Reef Haven...

RAV-65

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Hi all,

after months of planning, finally got a clearer picture of how my new tank would be like... :yeah: tentatively, these are the details which I can confirm :

Tank : 60"x30"x27" - 12mm with crystal glass front panel.

Sump : 48"x24"x18" - 8mm.

Return Pump : 3xOR6500 - 1 to go through chiller and direct back to main tank.

Chiller : Resun C1000 - modified thermostat

Lights : Aqualight Mini1600 - 3x250W DE

5x80W T5 HO driven by Icecap 660

Flow : 2x Tunze TS12

Skimmer : Dual Beckett driven by Iwaki MX-100

Comments are most welcomed as I hope to leave no stones unturned in the planning of this tank... :)

Here's a mock-up pic of how I wish the tank would finally look like... :)

rx8.... :eyebrow:

Very nice conceptual tank, i would highly recommend to do up a fish room, the conceptual design looks like it is really possible......cramping everything in a small area will be quite frustrating during maintenance, the "ideal" would be using a bathroom (dedicated) for it.... :evil: .......can straightaway bathe after maintenance..... :whistle

After that, can sit on the sofa (OSIM massage chair), enjoy the reef scene and listen to some jazz sipping chilled coconut juice....... :snore::snore::snore:

Remember to invite me when reef tank open ceremony....will be a sight to behold.... :yeah:

• SRC Member
Dude, got an updated plan for the tank from the tankmakers yet? 3ft depth will be awesome. Imagine all the scaping possibilities!

i think the tank maker will ask Rav to do up his own design n submit it to him to make.. afterall, Rav has been making so much changes until the tank maker goes blur.. hahaha..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

rx8.... :eyebrow:

Very nice conceptual tank, i would highly recommend to do up a fish room, the conceptual design looks like it is really possible......cramping everything in a small area will be quite frustrating during maintenance, the "ideal" would be using a bathroom (dedicated) for it.... :evil: .......can straightaway bathe after maintenance..... :whistle

After that, can sit on the sofa (OSIM massage chair), enjoy the reef scene and listen to some jazz sipping chilled coconut juice....... :snore::snore::snore:

Remember to invite me when reef tank open ceremony....will be a sight to behold.... :yeah:

Would really like the idea... but the damn iDesire costs wat? $6k?? :(

WAT THE !@#$%^&*....

Tink I gotta settle for just a simple sofa... :)

Fish room?! Bathroom??? siao bo... reefers come my house ask them to go toilet and see my tank ah?? :(

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

Dude, got an updated plan for the tank from the tankmakers yet? 3ft depth will be awesome. Imagine all the scaping possibilities!

On the way bro... super busy... coz change plans now, so gotta re-do the drawings...

Haven't got time to meet the tank-maker... maybe will be next week before the drawings come...

But I have a rough idea in mind liao, the original tank will remain, without the back smoke glass panel, the smoke glass will be used on the sides instead and two overflows added at the side... :)

post-34-1105890976.jpg

i think the tank maker will ask Rav to do up his own design n submit it to him to make.. afterall, Rav has been making so much changes until the tank maker goes blur.. hahaha..

Shhh...!!

Actually it was my own design right from the beginning mah... along the way got a bit of changes only mah... :eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
Fish room?! Bathroom??? siao bo... reefers come my house ask them to go toilet and see my tank ah?? 

HAHAHA....u damned funny....tell you what, those come with frags can sit on OSIM chair, those come empty handed......go to toilet and clean skimmer..... :evil:

HAHAHA....u damned funny....tell you what, those come with frags can sit on OSIM chair, those come empty handed......go to toilet and clean skimmer..... :evil:

Wah... supposing one frag $10... must have 600 people come with frags before can make back my OSIM chair leh...!!

Or maybe more... 600 frags--- > 300 brown ones... :( :( :(

I like the cleaning skimmer idea though, now the simmer cup gets dirty every 2 days... clean until I sian... :(

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
Actually it was my own design right from the beginning mah... along the way got a bit of changes only mah... :eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:

u called that a bit of changes??? :o

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
Yah wat... abit changes niah mah... My tank still technically is a 5 feet... :P

Bro, I tink you should go 5'x3' also... :evil::evil::evil:

thanks for sponsoring, God Pa!!! :lol:

i think for 2.5' Width, i'm facing problems to reach the back already.. i dun wanna swim inside my tank leh.. besides, my decor dun allow such big size tank.. am happy to stick to my 5x2.5x2.5 n that size, i'm already have to pacify my finance minister to allow me to incorporate it into the house decor n share a bit of the cost

thanks for sponsoring, God Pa!!! :lol:

i think for 2.5' Width, i'm facing problems to reach the back already.. i dun wanna swim inside my tank leh.. besides, my decor dun allow such big size tank.. am happy to stick to my 5x2.5x2.5 n that size, i'm already have to pacify my finance minister to allow me to incorporate it into the house decor n share a bit of the cost

Hey bro...

I sponser the 5'x3' one inch styrofoam lah... for you to put ur tank! How's dat God Son?? :fear::fear:

Just kidding! :P

post-34-1105890976.jpg

Tank Update:

Juz had another lengthy discussion with my tank-maker... :)

It seems there are other problems cropping up along the way, may eventually settle for a tank dat's 72"x33"x27". My tank maker as advised against the 36" depth as he is concern whether the 12 inch glass would hold... and I'm dead against using 15" glass as the cost of setting up this tank as already escalated beyond a point whereby I have to "tarik" back the horses.... <_<

Cant just keep improving and spending! Must have some limit... :( :( :(

Anyway, the tank would still have a viewing length of 60" ( 5 feet ) with two overflow chambers of about 6" on each side.

Another factor which I have still not decided is whether to have closed loops... With the TS24 and 3 return pumps ( 2x Iwaki MX100 and 1 Resun MD40 or OR6500 to go through the chillers and direct back to tank ), I esimate to have at least 30,000 to 35,000LPH of water movement within my tank.... But am just afraid there is a stubborn spot where detritus would collect, especially at the corners of the tank... :(

Till now, still constantly worried I might leave out something... so if anyone got anything to share/comment, please do... :)

post-34-1105890976.jpg

It's quite difficult to achieve zero dead zone or zero zone with no detritus collection down especially we have rock works and detritus tends to settle inside the rock work where the flows are lower. There's another place you have to take care is that no matter how strong the flow are detritus will still settle on the LR so you might have to manually blown the LR once every few months to get rid of those detritus.

It's not the total amount of flow but rather how well the flow are spread out. At the worst case you might need to do some siphon every week or fornight.

It's quite difficult to achieve zero dead zone or zero zone with no detritus collection down especially we have rock works and detritus tends to settle inside the rock work where the flows are lower. There's another place you have to take care is that no matter how strong the flow are detritus will still settle on the LR so you might have to manually blown the LR once every few months to get rid of those detritus.

It's not the total amount of flow but rather how well the flow are spread out. At the worst case you might need to do some siphon every week or fornight.

Yup... agreed with you on dat, just that I'm tinking about how to address the obvious dead-spots like the corners of the tank and behind the rockscape. Doing a close-loop is easy enough, but the positioning of the closed loop is the main headache... :(

post-34-1105890976.jpg

This is the new drawing for the main tank... ;)

One feature different from the original drawing is that the dursos ( now 4 in total, size 40mm ) are placed esternally to allow a smaller over-flow chamber. Originally, the tank maker required an external chamber of about 7-8 inch... now probably 6inch or less... :)

Comments welcomed... :P

post-34-1127913327.jpg

post-34-1105890976.jpg

:o

Fantastic consideration. :bow: I hope mine is design in this way. :pinch:

Huh? your tank quite alright mah... nice wat... :)

BTW, bro, care to share about your "under-flow" pipes??? The ones you have in your tank sticking out from the bottom?? :P

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
This is the new drawing for the main tank... ;)

One feature different from the original drawing is that the dursos ( now 4 in total, size 40mm ) are placed esternally to allow a smaller over-flow chamber. Originally, the tank maker required an external chamber of about 7-8 inch... now probably 6inch or less... :)

Comments welcomed... :P

Good idea on the external durso. ;)

Take up quite alot of space if inside and because the holes are not located at bottom of the overflow box, there less chance of leakage. ;):lol:

Looking good so far!

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)