Dropping Frozen Shrimps Into Tank?

maxifire

• SRC Member

I was told by a LFS from Pasir Ris Farm that it is not advisable to drop frozen brine shrimps straight into the tank after taking it out from the fridge as it will result to the fish getting a stomachache. I was advised to "defrost" it.. one of the eg. was put the brine shrimp cube into the net and use tap water to run through it. I've been following his advice for the past 2 months.

From what I read in this forum so far, I noticed that you guys simply drop the cube of frozen brine shrimps into the tank. Now I'm wondering whether is his advice a valid one or not.

Someone clarify this?

:thanks:

• SRC Member

I prefer to defrost then wash the shrimps as I do not know what liquid they are frozen in. If it is the liquid in which they are reared then you can expect it to be laden with organics, phosphates, nitrates and heavy metals.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
I was told by a LFS from Pasir Ris Farm that it is not advisable to drop frozen brine shrimps straight into the tank after taking it out from the fridge as it will result to the fish getting a stomachache. I was advised to "defrost" it.. one of the eg. was put the brine shrimp cube into the net and use tap water to run through it. I've been following his advice for the past 2 months.

From what I read in this forum so far, I noticed that you guys simply drop the cube of frozen brine shrimps into the tank. Now I'm wondering whether is his advice a valid one or not.

Someone clarify this?

:thanks:

maxifire,

i guezz many of uz here wld not only defrost the brime shrimps but oso soak it in garlic which improve the health of ur fishez

• SRC Member
maxifire,

i guezz many of uz here wld not only defrost the brime shrimps but oso soak it in garlic which improve the health of ur fishez

:rolleyes:

I only soak my shrimps and flakes now and then... don't really soak it everyday. Plainly due to laziness.

What I do is to put the frozen brine or mysis shrimp into a metal sieve, and rinse them thru tap water until the whole cube is no longer frozen. I make sure that the liquid turns from red to clear and no 'juice' or any kind makes it into my tank during feeding.

I then use a plastic soup spoon to squeeze the now defrosted shrimps dry and put them into an airtight container. I then pour garlic juice in, mixed with Selcon, stir the whole thing up and pop it into the chiller compartment. The 'dry' defrosted shrimps will absorb the garlic juice and Selcon and when fed, should provide my fishes with good nutrition.

:)

• SRC Member
What I do is to put the frozen brine or mysis shrimp into a metal sieve, and rinse them thru tap water until the whole cube is no longer frozen. I make sure that the liquid turns from red to clear and no 'juice' or any kind makes it into my tank during feeding.

I then use a plastic soup spoon to squeeze the now defrosted shrimps dry and put them into an airtight container. I then pour garlic juice in, mixed with Selcon, stir the whole thing up and pop it into the chiller compartment. The 'dry' defrosted shrimps will absorb the garlic juice and Selcon and when fed, should provide my fishes with good nutrition.

:)

wa...does your wife complain that the fishes get better treatment than she does?

effort man....rather dedication. thumbs up for u. :bow:

• SRC Member

Was thinking... if you thaw meat items, rinse them with water and then freeze them back... wouldn't that introduce bacteria in the food??

Thought I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that thawed and re-frozen food are sources of food poisoning?? thats why frozen meat should nvr be thawed unless there is intention to cook..

• SRC Member

Hmmm...I see a lot of hardworking fellas when it comes to feeding your little darlings with frozen brine or mysis shrimps cube. :D

I just simply dunk the whole cube into my tank for many months as I assume that manufacturers of these frozen cubes are concerned about quality control and make sure their products are not contaminated with harmful parasites and chemicals. Anyway, the juice helps a bit in feeding my sea fans.

• SRC Member
Was thinking... if you thaw meat items, rinse them with water and then freeze them back... wouldn't that introduce bacteria in the food??

Thought I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that thawed and re-frozen food are sources of food poisoning?? thats why frozen meat should nvr be thawed unless there is intention to cook..

You are right cos the moment the ice is gone and the temperature right, the dormant bacteria colonies existing on the food is resurrected.

And decomposition begins.

I make enough to ensure that it doesn't last longer than 1.5 weeks worth of feeding. The whole defrosting/supplement adding process takes less than 5 mins and the lot is quickly chilled again.

As long as the food hasn't rotted, your fishes won't complain.

• SRC Member

Same here, AT.

1. Let shrimps "melt" at room temperature (couple of minutes only).

2. Quickly soak them in the hand-made-garlic-juice & place it in the fridge 2 soak.

3. Sieve the shrimps & throw away the juice & re-freeze them in the ice-cube-slots that came with the shrimps' pack.

Re-freezing keeps the shrimps edible for a longer period & U can probably do a bigger batch 2 last U 1-2 weeks. Remember 2 keep yr "re-frozen" shrimps in a container (I use those throwaway plastic ones that can B microwavable). U can choose 2 thaw the shrimps slowly in the fridge too (I think that helps cut down the bacteria-bit). Yes the garlic smell will "pollute" yr fridge, "stain" yr fingers even, but its still something edible/natural (beats all those chemicals).

Yes its true that bacteria will start colonizing any thawed food for that matter but I think if U do it fast, it will probably B minimal (should B relatively safe 4 yr fishes). Having said that, its so much easier 2 purchase some garlic additive 2 soak yr fishes' food (which I actually did - Seachem Garlic Guard ... hehe ;) ).

U guys decide ... :D

I prefer my frozen foods thawed and then kept chilled as I want them to sink right away when fed rather than float as ice cubes in my tank, which then slowly thaw and drop off pieces.

Reason being that I do not like to switch off my main tank's circulation during feeding times and having floating cubes means it will probably end up in the overflow.

By scooping the chilled food up and swirling it into the front of my tank, they drop to the sandbed rather than end up being blasted all over corals where the fishes can't find them.

• SRC Member

Is this true??

tot bacteria won't grow in frozen food.....

• SRC Member

Is this true??

tot bacteria won't grow in frozen food.....

Your handling of the thawed shrimps with your hands, water from the tap and spores in the air will introduce micro-organisms into the food.

When you re-freeze the food after thawing, you would have already contaminated the stuff.... Have you ever bought a pack of burger patties, thawed the whole lot, cook a couple and re-freeze the whole pack only to find that the rest of the pack doesn't taste as good as the first couple the next time you cook them? Same goes for seafood which store and retain their freshness much longer when frozen immediately after being caught from the sea.

I have been using frozen Hikari brine shrimps and blood worms for quite some time for my fresh water fishes (bettas, etc), feeding them direct from the pack without rinsing... Don't have any bad experience with them.... but have lots of unpleasant things to say about other brands from china (have lost quite a lot of fishes before when feeding with the cheaper brands).