Suggest Skimmer for my 2 feet tank

cci[RR]us

I'm using an air skimmer now and I would like to have a better skimmer, to get rid of waste and low my nitrates (http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=39290).

I am looking for a skimmer that is cheap and simple, as it is only for a small 2 feet tank with an anemone that hosts 2 maroon clowns, 2 firefish, a gorniopora and a plate coral.

I saw some cheap skimmers ($20-$30) in C328 but I am not sure if they are ok for my tank.

Please advise, thank you!!! :)

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

Get a weipro, those will be adequate and affordable enough ;)

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

Any model number? Coz I have never seen one before, so I need some form of identification. Btw, how much is it?

Thanks. :)

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

• SRC Member

weipro is a cheap venturi skimmer. works for some, unsatisfactory to others. one thing to take note is that the skimmer and the driving pump comes seperately. Also, from my own 2 feet experience, if using a weipro with a pump in your tank, water temperature will go up. mine went up by 1 degree.

Anemone will also tend to seek out such pumps and powerheads due to current flow. then tank can become anemone juice, causing wipeout.

so in personal opinion:

pros : cheap and affordable,not bad if u can get it to work for you

cons : ugly to have big pump in tank, might end up blending your anemone, temperature go up

Ultimately, i would still go for the advice that i wish i had heeded, which is instead of constantly upgrading, some equipment that we think are important are worth investing in. Personally would go for AquaC Remora or Aquamedic biostar flotor for hang ons. smaller pumps, better results. even considering it for my 1.5ft by 10 inch by 10 inch.

Like dreamscape, I swear by Aqua C Remora / Urchin & Bio Flotor.

Have used Weipro, Prizm and Via Aqua due to price but still went back to the above 3 skimmers. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Where to buy the above mentioned skimmers cheaply?

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

If you go for a weipro do take into consideration the amount of feeding and the overall bioload you are considering for your tank. There's got to be a balance between input and output. For example, even a beckett being run on the best tanks might not be able to cope if you accidentally spilled a whole bottle of selco into the tank. *over dramatization*:peace:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
why no one recommend a macro needle wheel?... not as cheap as a weipro but performance slightly better...

actually true....there's also macro which does perform better than weipro in my opinion. But the usual things set in, pump in tank, temperature, ugly, anemone juice blah. Not trying to be a spoiler or a fanatic but seriously when it comes to equipment, i think it 's best to just one time invest. May seem damn 'chor' at first but i feel it's still worth it.

Eg. You get your weipro about 30 for skimmer, 30 for pump that's 60. IF not happy, try to sell weipro, abit hard to get full 60 back. So with whatever you tried to recoup + top-up, u try a macro. Works fine but realise that return outlet got lots of bubbles and the pump very visible. Try to sell again, recoup some only....then maybe you try prizm...blahblahblah....list goes on.

therefore, if i were in your shoes i'd just whack a one time investment on something that has higher hit rate and more expensive, rather than weipro and macro which is like a gamble whether u can get it right or not.

Disclaimer: The above is just an example, although it represents very closely what i went through when i went through my skimmer siao phase....almost went for a beckett coz running sump. Now into the more biological and less tech, meaning more natural filtration coupled with powerful skimming.

• SRC Member

I recommend to start a sump system for a 2 feet... based on my own experience... cos over time... u will want to add more fishes and corals... and a sump system will be so much better..for u to put skimmer and live rock for biological filtration.. A air pump skimmer definitely a no no for 2 feet tank... i know cos i used that for one year... very bad efficiency...unless u only want to keep 2 or 3 fishes in a 2 feet tank..Just my $0.00001 worth of thoughts... ;)

• SRC Member

I am just going to mostly repeat what the other bros have said to drive the point.

if you are thinking of the macro .. make sure you consider how r u going to get over the micro bubbles from the output cuz it can make you pull your hair out. After so many trial and error, the only way i cud control the bubble was with 2xdouble baffle in the sump tank. the so-called macros' "bubblestopper" aint what its reckoned to be.

About the more upscale skimmers (about 4x the price of a macro at least) .. this is where the reality sets it on cost of sustaining a marine tank. frankly .. i think the prices are .. dare i say .. as filthy as thier skimmate.

• SRC Member

ahaha this thread's progression go from skimmer suggestions to changing of filtration system liao.

Anyways, for macro expect to pay about $100 the least for the smallest needlewheel..pump included...not sure about macro venturi though....and like what zeotz says, the micro bubbles are always a problem, even insump, not to mention if main tank hang on.

zeotz, my friend eliminated this problem by putting outlet hose back into the filter wool compartment...after that water go thru baffle then no problems liao.

• SRC Member

I dont really get what you mean when you say "if my set up is going to be low maintenance, a weipro would be fine". I would put it as, a weipro skimmer would likely reduce slightly the maintenance required but not necessarily make it a low maintenance tank (dats up to a lot of things like lifestock qty/type, flow, LR, feeding habit .. bla bla bla).

In my opinion, if you are going to put the skimmer in your main tank, the weipro is a better choice than the macro. Even if the macro is slightly better at producing skimmate, I felt not worth the hassle with the micro bubbles in the main tank. (I have used both btw)

On the anemone issue, for the record (not that I am proud of it), I liquified 2 BTAs with my PH and another one almost. NEVER think they are going to stay put. Mine stayed put for 3 months at 4 feet away from the PH ... and one fine weekend while I was away ... (*&*^%) .. came home to a milk tank.

• SRC Member

in retrospect, yes zeotz is right...i didn't read carefully...a general guideline would be low maintenance means not low cost and vice versa.

If u were to spend $$$ on equipment,(high cost) then most likely it'll be low maintenance

However if u don't spend and for example get a weipro instead of lets say a beckett, u will need to do more water changes to export nutrients.

Get the equation? You want low cost and low maintenance....then it's minimal livestock, minimal feeding, and water changes....hmmz sounds abit mafan already..

• SRC Member

oops...got my interpretation of low maintenace in the wrong context...i meant to say low bioload...gagaga~ :lol:

erm...so... if my livestock is minimal is feeding minimal, then a weipro should be ok rite? hehe....

and i tink dreamzcape got my meaning the 1st time round..hehe..

maybe i can hide the pump behind some liverocks~ :)