Bicycle maintenance

somebody

• SRC Member

hi all,

guess i just wanna clean up the bearing and stuff of my bike, pretty old bike, about 7 years, but its still in pretty good condition. just thought that it'd be good, if i like open up the bearings and clean them if possible.

i just want my ride to be smoother....

anyone got suggestions and can tell me how to get it done? thanks!!

• SRC Member

alot of autosol to get rid of the rust.... which i assume... as it is usually the crap of old bikes....

otherwise... i just like to pop my bike at your friendly bike shop and let them give u the professional and safer advice.... but be sure it is one you trust... not one who chops yr carrot head.....

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

To take out the bottom Bracket bearings to clean, u will need special tools.

If u want, can go for overhaul at your local bike shop. They will clean up and lubricate everything for you. Should cost less than $50 ... and they will recommend to change parts if needed.

WD 40 removes rust, but it is not a good lubricant .. so cant protect ur chain.

• SRC Member

pai seh.... wd40....

autosol is to polish my fork.... hahahaha.... pai seh pai seh....

oh.... to take apart anything.... better to go to bike shop...... like seng said... need special tools....

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

Well. If is old mountain bike, not those very ex. ones. Can just change the chain (7 years will be stretched ba... my chain stretched after 1 yr +) And the rest just like Muar Chee recommended, autosol/polish yr bike can liao.

The bearings are sealed and usually will last for long time unless u go chiong trails often.

• SRC Member
autosol? thought WD40?

Bro NEVER use WD40 on your bike.Be it for lubrication or rust removal. Yes it claims that it can remove rust. But Look at it this way..If it can eat into rust. What can it do to your metal.

I reccomend using a TF2 lubricant. You can get it from most mtb shops. It's a long green canister. Less than $20.

• SRC Member
i've changed the chain before, a few times liaoz. yea. just think that the bearings inside might be bloody dirty and stuff, so thought it might improve my ride quite a bit if i do it... =)

Reccomended if you do heavy riding to send in your bike for servicing and replacement of all cables every 6 mths. Will include cleaning of your BB and all other parts. For normal riders, Once a year servicing would be sufficient.

Servicing would range from $60 To $80 depending on the bike shop. :)

• SRC Member

wah, the price of servicing is getting higher and higher... =(

now cos about $70 plus... hmm... dun ride very often. but have been using this bike on off for 7yrs liaoz. its a good bike. not super zhai, but good.

just wanna mprove the ride substatially and thought the best way to do that would be to clean up the BBs. yea.

hmmm... shall pop by the bicycle shops nearby to ask for pricing.

but best if i can do it myself thou... hope so...can save $$. =) even that lube itself would cost $20 lohz.

• SRC Member

yah lohz, guess i'll go around asking the prices for several stores, and see how much they are asking for.

if not, then i just see what i can do myself and chiong. since my bike is so old liao, and servicing it for so e is not worth is. haha.

a new reasonable bike will cost around 700.. oh wells... wwanna sell my bike, but i spent so much on it, not say alot compared to the crazy people lahz, but just heart pain. hehe.

• SRC Member

To remove all bearings .. really need the tools. Which area u stay in? Can look in togoparts.com for bike shops to go for servicing as they have a list of LBS.

I using GT85, works for me. :D Keeps the chain lubed, but have to use degreaser for cleaning the chain thoroughly. Else can 'cheat' but just spraying at the chain where it is dirty, but will waste the lube.

There are also bike maintenance tips and tricks in the forums there.

• SRC Member

I use this lube called 'rock & roll'. It's really unique as you just put it on your chain, turn a few rounds then wipe off as much as you can.

BUT when I go trailing. My whole bike sometimes covered in mud (Especially rainy days) but my chain no mud at all.The mud just does not stick to the chain. Really amazing. :yeah: