need pods !!

• SRC Member

bought a twin-spot goby today. she's happily eating sand and digging holes in my 1 1/2 feet display tank now. my display tank and my 2ft sump tank both have 2 inch sand bed and life rocks...

but the problem is i don't see any pods swimming around. how does pods look like ? copepod and amphipod... where to get more of them ? I read that people have refugiums for the pods to breed in. can my sump act as a refugium too?

i'm now trying to plant mysis srimps in the sand so that the little fellow can pick them up. she don't seem too interested in them though. am also having problems getting the mysis to sit in the sand and not float around...

help.... starting to regret buying the twin-spot... but she's just a beauty... :erm:

• SRC Member

markie...

first of all welcome to SRC.....

pods... well.... you know those small little things with the circle in the middle... i think they call it a click wheel or something like that... althou come in few colours... but got a variety of them... ipod, ipod U2, ipod shuffle, ipod nano.... you can find them in apple shops...

wad?? PODS? OHHH!!!! PODS!!!! not iPOD ah???

that is different..... you can do a search on that in the forum... with the search button on top...

be patient abit.... read thru ALL of them... its takes time.... but paitence is the key to everything in reefing....

refugium is something that has alot of sand, rocks and maybe plants where there is no predator to kill the pods... so that they can breed and mutiply like no bodies business....

not necessary that your goby eat only pods... u can try weaning it to frozen foods! maybe start off with live brine shrimp, BBS or maybe mysis shrimp....

alternatively u can try, which everyone almost swears by, ML's Henry Frozen Seafood Mix Sensation! so good, you almost want to eat it yourself~ :P

can check out the sponser's forum on Marine Life Hobbiest.

reef on!!! :peace:

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

twin-spot wont take suspended food :lol: ...

it eats more than pods :P ... basically anything in the sand

that can be eaten (sand grain size or smaller) ... so 1 way is to make

sure ur sandbed is really "live" with pods... or u can try to "litter"

ur sandbed with some pellets .... and hope that they pick it up :P

• SRC Member

thx guys for the replies ! anyway just a lil update. the little fellow is still happily sifting my sand bed. once a while i have to cover back the holes he make.. i'm now hiding mysis shrimps in the sand bed. hope he picks up some of the food this way... oh and when i feed my clowns with pallet food, i soak some and let it drop on the sand bed too.

btw how do u wean him to take frozen food? i read that pple use syringe + tube for target feeding. and soaking the food in some garlic thingy is suppose to help??

actually i think the best solution for this is to make sure i have lots of pods in the water... i think my 2feet sump tank should be able to support their reproduction right? But the pod population must start from somewhere... currently i don't see any pods in the sump lay... can someone tell me how pods look like?? All the photos on internet are the blown up ones.. Where to get a natural source of pods?? how to encourage growth of pods in my sump??

anyone have any experience with twin spot gobies ? help.....

• SRC Member

its blown up.... becuz its too small to see just like that.... its like lil roaches swimming here and there in the tank.....

its not a sump that supports pod population.... but a refugium. somewhere where there are a lot of sand, rocks and maybe plants to grow the pods....

this time is is 100% advice. no nuts! :pinch:

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.