My 3.5 footer...at long last! :)

southpaw23

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Another shot of the huge cave on the left of the tank...cool to watch the shrimps hang out and setup their cleaning stations... :)

post-34-1138890629.jpg

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

My RBTA which has almost doubled in size since going in the new tank..been with me for about 8 months now. Still cant get the camera to capture it's true color tho...it's much more red than in the picture...oh well...

post-34-1138891232.jpg

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

Hrmz, care to explain how u can tell? Pretty interested.... :)

Yeah...i'd be quite interested to find out how you could tell as well.

Either way, there is no aggresion between them and they seem to hunt together so i've no problems either way.

But do tell....i'm interested to know how you derived that conclusion as well.... :)

Oh and for the rest...thanks for the compliments....much happier with the new scape too... ;)

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member
different colour to be exact. male will be a full blue, female with tint of pink.

you can get a pair from the farm.

male and female will not be of the same colour. :)

Interesting...but how sure are you about that? Don't mean to undermine your knowledge. But here's my experience with the shrimps. When i bought them, the pair was different in color, as in one had a bluish tint while the other had a red to pinkish tint.

Someone once told me that their color changes based on the starfish you feed em...and to be honest, the first time i heard that...i thought it was borderlining BS...but funny enough....i've been feeding the shrimps red linkia starfishes and the one that was originally blue has started to change and show signs of red and isn't so blue as when i first bought it. Weird eh?

I always thought that their coloration was associated with the place from which they were caught...now i'm not so sure anymore...

But please feel free to enlighten me with more info, cos this is just based on my past few months experience with this particular pair.

Oh and thanks for chippin in on the info.... :peace:

Firestarz: Glad to see you like the rescape as much as i do... ;)

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

hey bro.. ur tank is getting uglier each dae.. especially the red prata and anemone.. since my tank so ugly.. i don mind helping u keep it.. =x haha.. wah lao.. allll sooo niceeeee... sian sia..

Reefing is like a Relationship, Once you fall in Love with it, You will Love it for Life... :wub:

5a8bbdf6e2308_YUMA16.png.f2e17836611683574a142ad6fbd86466.png

Interesting...but how sure are you about that? Don't mean to undermine your knowledge. But here's my experience with the shrimps. When i bought them, the pair was different in color, as in one had a bluish tint while the other had a red to pinkish tint.

Someone once told me that their color changes based on the starfish you feed em...and to be honest, the first time i heard that...i thought it was borderlining BS...but funny enough....i've been feeding the shrimps red linkia starfishes and the one that was originally blue has started to change and show signs of red and isn't so blue as when i first bought it. Weird eh?

I always thought that their coloration was associated with the place from which they were caught...now i'm not so sure anymore...

But please feel free to enlighten me with more info, cos this is just based on my past few months experience with this particular pair.

Oh and thanks for chippin in on the info.... :peace:

Firestarz: Glad to see you like the rescape as much as i do... ;)

when at juv stage, harlequin are mostly blue,some with tinted pink. its not true that they change their colour to wat type of star they eat.

to pair u can choose the shrimp to be full blue and full pink not tinted.

choosing a female is easy, but a male hardly came across.

usually a pair will not be of the same size.male will definately b smaller than the female.

if i happen to b wrong, advise too.

thnks 4 sharing.... :D

• SRC Member

when at juv stage, harlequin are mostly blue,some with tinted pink. its not true that they change their colour to wat type of star they eat.

to pair u can choose the shrimp to be full blue and full pink not tinted.

choosing a female is easy, but a male hardly came across.

usually a pair will not be of the same size.male will definately b smaller than the female.

if i happen to b wrong, advise too.

thnks 4 sharing.... :D

Thanks for the info morish!dol...interesting facts....guess i'll need to read up more about them...but funny thing is...how do u explain my shrimp changing colors then? And mind you, the pair i have are not lil ones, they're pretty big....about an inch and a half or maybe more....not like the tiny ones they've had over in AM a couple of weeks back. If i understand correctly, they're almost at full adult size by now.

A few other questions....if the shrimps arent pairs...are they still likely to get along? Cos i tried pairing two harlequins once and the two fought almost to the death until one retreated away with a lost claw. The ones i have now seem to have no aggression whatsoever between them.....and it's interesting to watch them hunt down the starfish...i know it sounds sadistic....but it's just the coordination of the two shrimps that facinates me...not the actual killing... :P

Well...i guess i'll go do more reading up but regardless of whether they're a true pair or not...i guess i've no qualms as long as they get along.....

Thanks again for all the info.... :)

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member
hey bro.. ur tank is getting uglier each dae.. especially the red prata and anemone.. since my tank so ugly.. i don mind helping u keep it.. =x haha.. wah lao.. allll sooo niceeeee... sian sia..

LOL!....that was a funny one....sorry buddy...no plans to offload my babies as yet....the red prata has been with me for about a year and a half now...maybe more...i forget....and it's travelled all the way from KL to Singapore...so, it's been quite a treasure to me.... ;)

southpaw23's reef

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Nice tank! Many places to place new corals. U will be broke. LOL.

Ane no give u problem by moving?

That's why i've been takin it slow with the stocking.... :P

As for the anemone....it's been well behaved actually, hasn't moved at all...i read before that they like to keep their foot hidden from the light and i got this rock, that it's currently attached to, that is perfect for it. it has a lil cave in the rock and i face it away from the light and so far it's been pretty happy...in fact, he has been on this same rock since i had him in my previous 2 footer.

southpaw23's reef