Project New Reef by Achilles Tang

Achilles Tang

Hello everyone!

This thread is to chronicle the work-in-progress of my new tank that is being setup right now in my home, to replace my 2 year plus marine reef tank below:

wholetank.jpg

My old 2nd-hand tank is 5.3ft L x 1.57ft W x 1.90ft H. Approx 117.5 Gallons or 445 liters excluding sump volume)

My new custom built tank will be 5.3ft L x 3ft W x 2ft H. Approx 224 gallons or 847 litres excluding sump volume!)

• Like 1

Hey Hon!! finally you arrive and must say some #$(&! words! :lol:

Yes, euro bracing is the horizontal panes that sit on the vertical lips of the tank to strengthen the tank. The centre brace is the one that sits in the centre of the tank and that is to prevent bowing/warping of the tank especially when your tank is very long or very wide.

Actually, I think my tank could have done away with the euro/centre bracing as it is siliconed with very high-strength silicon eg. Dow Corning 795 building silicon.

But I would rather be safe then sorry... plus I see an advantage of having euro-bracing (besides the added strength)... is that it functions as a water-spillage protection as water can't slosh out no matter how much waves I make. Also, it would handy to place my tongs and other stuff on them.

The only downside is that I have to clean the underside of salt creep once in a while.

I have my euro bracing/centre drilled to allow my return pipes to be secured.

Now you know... hon... so when are you gonna be free to help me setup my new tank? ;) You got experience doing up PVC piping or not? :P

Here's the wall that was hacked to create the space to have an inbuilt tank that will sit in the spare room behind.

Previously my old tank was against this very wall...

holeinwall.jpg

Here's the custom-made stand made of 2 inch square mild steel tubings, sandblasted with primer applied, then a layer of epoxy, then a layer of paint.

It is designed to spread the weight out over a large area of flooring so there will be no stress points.

It will sit on a piece of marine plywood to better spread the weight around.

I have no worries about the weight of the tank anymore as I know that the tank will also sit against three load-bearing beams and a wall.

standpix.jpg

Hi Morgan and Spiff!

Welcome to the Singapore Reef Club forums!!

Oh I forgot to mention that my tank is special that it is probably the first tank in Singapore to have a Starphire front glass pane.

The Starphire glass pane is super clear optically, meaning that there is no greenish tint when you look through it, like ordinary glass would, especially the thicker it gets. It is also distortion free... so when you look at something at an angle... you won't feel dizzy.

I wanted the Starphire because I wanted to appreciate the true colours of the reef, especially of my clams, which looks awful through ordinary glass. To see the true colours of clams you have to look down into your tank.

I like taking photographs of my tank... so... I am prepared to pay the premium for it.

The starphire glass pane is approximately half the cost of my tank! :)

Will let you know the price later. My wife thinks I am crazy but I don't want to regret that I never put it in in the first place!

Hi Derf, Welcome to SRC!

I sourced for the starphire glass myself and the custom-made tank is assembled by one of my contacts also.

They are actually glass experts in the construction business.

I think my tank is cheaper than the the tanks sold outside that big LFS in Serangoon North Ave 2 next to Petmart.

My metal stand is custom-made by my father-in-law who is in the shipyard industry. He just 'ka-poh' raw materials and his staff to weld, paint and deliver it to my house, FOC! ;)

:lol:

Achilles, this is a great project!! How do u affort the time? Do u have a kiddo? I always find it fun and tiring when i work on my tank (which is usually after my wife and baby slept..). Invitation is open to new member too right? I have neer imagine that we do have such a setup in S'pore (i only got to see some of this big setup within a room in the web at those US/European countries)!!

Btw, how many MHs are you planning to put up? And did you do a calculation of the electrical bill? And how did u get rid of your previous tank which is a question always on my mind (like what happen if i move etc..). Hope i did not ask too much..

:rolleyes:

THE TANK IS UP ON THE STAND!!!! :D:lol::D:lol::D

This morning! Yippee!

6 men came and the lifted the tank up from the floor, up to the stand.

I took a video of it... I'll see if there is a way to upload it to the server so it can be streamed....

6 big men ready to lift off

readytoliftup.jpg

Moving the tank into place

movingintoplace.jpg

The tank adjusted...

tankflushed.jpg

My first live creature in the tank... a dogfish!!! Hahahaha!!!

dogintank.jpg