Anyone owns a Piano in here?

Melvyn Tan

• SRC Member

Hi All,

Appreciate the assistance of all who are musically and instrumentally inclined to educate me on Pianos.

I would like to know what is reasonably good, lasting (if it applies), maintenance requirements and cost.

Thank you in advance.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

Anyone at all?

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

No one plays the piano or have knowledge on piano ??? :(

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

i think its better u get Yamaha teacher to teach u...

as for piano i can recommend u one 2nd hand piano shop which i find their piano not bad.....

its located at bukit timah plaza..near ngee ann poly...

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member

ermmmm....ok point noted

any Yamaha teacher around?

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

Yamaha is a good choice. It is like the Toyota of cars. Dependable and reasonably priced. The lowest grade LU series are made in Indonesia. Not so good, and it is a bit too small to give the deep resonant tones.

I would personally stay away from the China-made stuff. They all have German sounding brand names to try to throw you off.

Get a model that is at least 44 inches tall, and preferably 48 inches.

Sometimes you can get a 2nd hand professional U series for a good price. They are definitely the piano to get if you have the budget.

• SRC Member

yeah i hv a yamaha (sori cant rem model) but is already i think a decade old ... my kids frm jmc, jxc all the way to now gonna take grade 8 abrms ... so far no prob.. just follow theinstructions on care- plug in n get make sure get annual tune-up frm the yamaha technician .. that sall

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

My wife juz bought one piano from Christofori for my K2 girl. As a student there, they have student price and everynow and then, they also have 2nd hand piano for sale.

They have 2 free tuning services and it's expected to tune it every 6mths. The rest is juz placing a heater (small wattage compare to your pump haha) in the piano and on for 24hrs a day everyday. Of course, cleaning it and placing of mothball inside the piano.

Their course is one to one and charges not too high too.

• SRC Member

i have one at home. i don't play it but my sis did :P

for tuning, unless you move it and u need to get the profectional to tune it for you. i think expected to tune it once every 6mths or a year. let the heater run in the piano for 24/7. that's all. clean externally when it is dusty or dirty. very easy to maintain :D

age.png

• SRC Member

Melvyn,

Why don't you pick up guitar instead of piano? Cheaper and take up less space so more space for fish tank. Next time you can bring your guitar along to LFs and play for us in the car.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member
Next time you can bring your guitar along to LFs and play for us in the car.

:idea: .. not bad.. entertainment.. for all u noe, u might become the next Project Superstar.. kekeke :whistle

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

if u really need a piano maybe i can help as i have both yamaha student and teacher cards and i can get good recommendation for u. btw i think yamaha piano 1st hand is good enuff for u..but if u are looking for heavier piano and have a budget than i suggest u look for KAWAI piano (2nd hand) which cost around 1 yamaha piano price..

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

I don't go by branded stuff. If u on a buget and like yamaha, go for 2nd hand U series. The height of the piano play a part to the quality of the sound too. Thats why the examination models height are usually above 1.2m tall.

If u like to own new one, I recommend 'Elington' from Renner Piano Centre.

Sound very solid and price also good compare to many other brand like christofori, Yamaha LU series,some kawai models.

I had a headache too when purchasing my first piano for my kid. My kid yamaha teacher so called endorse it when I approach her for advice. She got a friend to test it out.

Go to various showroom to see and ask the assistance to play it. Hear for yourself whether u like the sound of it. Its best to play the same piece of music on the various models to judge the sounding.

Happy piano hunting. Cheers..

• SRC Member

If you've got the $ go for the Steinway & Sons. They're professional grade pianos but not sure if still manufactured. Otherwise, I think the Yamahas and Kawais quite ok. ;)

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)

Melvyn,

Why don't you pick up guitar instead of piano? Cheaper and take up less space so more space for fish tank. Next time you can bring your guitar along to LFs and play for us in the car.

I wanted to suggest Harmonica. :D:lol:

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Maybe piano is for his little girl.

Yes yes...piano will be for my little girl. Tried playing the guitar...just can't muster it no flair.

Tried the piano whilst in primary school for a short while, dun even rem or have any recollection about it, but still do rem the lovely piano teacher though.

Really must thank all for responding as it had helped me understand the strength of the various brands and the important aspect in getting a piano like the height must be 1.2m at least - believe its got something to do with the length of the strings?

Ok yamah U series, ellington, steinway & sons (always thought it was good since it sounds like a piano heheheh) kawai (sounds like a lfs) pardon me for i always like to joke when i am ignorant on certain things.

Whats the difference between the mini grand and the at least 1.2m height piano?

How much does a piano cost anyway? My wife's friend just got for her kids a piano that cost S$10k !!! wow can buy alot of things for the tank man !!!

Can the budget of S$10k buy a good piano?

Gouldian - the saliva thingy in the harmonica irks me bro !!!

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

So the keeping and maintaining of temperature and moisture is important as mentioned - thanks thanks

4x2x2 Tank Thread

Yup a good piano has to be at least that height because of its string.

Larger piano have a deeper bass range and a more even and pure tone overall.

The shape of an upright piano is designed for home use. If u hv deeper pockets and the space, give the baby grand a shot.

Grand piano technology provides more detailed and accurate regulation of key action, finer voicing and use of better material. The horizontal disposition of strings and soundboard also yield better conditions for tone radiation.

For 10K can get a reasonably good upright. If u hv the patience and luck, can get a reconditoned baby grand too. ;)

• SRC Member

Thanks Marinedisc...so the 1.2m is called the upright...can the brand new mini or baby grand make it at S$20k? For knowledge. But it must be big right? space will be a problem !!!

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member
If you've got the $ go for the Steinway & Sons. They're professional grade pianos but not sure if still manufactured. Otherwise, I think the Yamahas and Kawais quite ok. ;)

yes still in production but the price can blow us off..

it cost more than a honda intergra or Mazda 8

• SRC Member

3 years back i was looking for a piano but at last I settle for a digital ones. My wife got grade 8 and myself just play occasionally - self taught.

Decision - I bought a Yamaha CVP209 digital piano (due to the hammered key and the number of polyphony it could offered during that time)

Reason :

Pros

1) can use earphone

2) no need to do yearly tuning maintenace

3) upper series of yamaha have quite alot of features (the speakers are simply amazing)

4) if you buy from yamaha - within 3 years they will take in your piano at 50 % of the cost.

Cons

1) Need to check whether it is examination model or not ( for me - I am not into lesson or examination so it is fine)

2) there might still be a difference if you are a seasoned piano player ...

So far my kids are abit young ... but she already start to enjoy it as there are alot of pre-programmed songs with lyrics some more. The piano technology has progressed drastically ... compare to the yamaha organ I used to play during my childhood ...

• SRC Member

Wow !!! thats another good consideration - a digital piano, sounds like a good alternative.

4x2x2 Tank Thread