Just Bought Pink Nudibranch-feeding?

hi, guess you didn't read up on nudibranchs before buying.

We don't encourage buying nudibranchs because of their specialized diet of corals, sponges and algae depending on species which very little info is found... so its hit and miss and mostly miss resulting in starvation.

They have very short lives anyway... about a few weeks max. And they are toxic. ;) So be careful or they may even wipe out your tank if they get grinded into bits by your powerheads.

They are best left in the wild.

• SRC Member

good luck...hope it's dun die when you not notice it...

my tank got wiped out within 6hrs, 80% of the corals gone....SPS all gone

fishes dead...shrimps dead...lobster dead.....think twice next time b4 you getting it...

btw, my is a black sea cucumber...less toxic than yours, but deadly enough

Tank: 5 X 2 X 2.5

Sump : 3 X 1.5 X 1.8

Tunze 6060

Tunze TF08

Oceanrunner 6500

Deltec AP 902 Protein Skimmer

I-Aquatic Calcium Reactor

Arctica Chiller

good luck...hope it's dun die when you not notice it...

my tank got wiped out within 6hrs, 80% of the corals gone....SPS all gone

fishes dead...shrimps dead...lobster dead.....think twice next time b4 you getting it...

btw, my is a black sea cucumber...less toxic than yours, but deadly enough

Wah. So serious.

I have had nudibranch die in my tank before. Twice in fact, when I had a 1ft cube tank.

No noticeable effect then.

I guess it depends on what you keep. If you only keep hardy fishes, I think the effect of a nudibranch death is minimal.

Anyway its quite rare to find long lived examples. Most die within the 1st 2 or 3 months.

• SRC Member
thanks for the advice guys. i have returned uit back to lfs for half of what i paid. so i bought a tiny fire shrimp for 13 bucks. guess better than whole tank wipe out right?

Which shop did you go to? The fire shrimp is a bit ex.

I bought fire shrimp twice and paid $8 for it.

• SRC Member

I bought my nudibranch from Chinatown too.

I never went back there anymore. Somehow I feel that those guys are into marine just for money. The way they maintain their tanks, catch and pack the fishes really turn me off.

A lot of the other aquariums I went to handle the fishes with care in order not to stress them. :erm:

• SRC Member

my nudibranch been in my tank for 3-4 months aready.. and is still reef save .. i think its feeding on hair algae..

attach picture.. i think this is the safest to put in

the pink one?? i think saw it b4.. selling at $15.. or maybe diff. type..

:shock:

post-6-1064155878.jpg

I also got my 2 nudibranch, costing $5 each from Chinatown. They are greenish with yellow dots, dotting their backs. When I asked them what are these, I ended up answering their question. My answer is "sea slugs" and I have no idea that they are also known as the dreaded Nudibranch. :shock:

I surfed the net to find out more about my purchases and was lucky enough to find out about their toxicity and the advised given by the professional that they should be left in the wild. As quickly as I bought it, I returned them today and got for myself a not so beautiful coral to replace them. Better than returning them and got nothing back.

I think the LFS had no idea that they have toxic live stocks in their midst and I'm worried that those people who are clueless like me will end up purchasing these creatures and in the process caused the whole of their tank's inhabitants to be wiped out. It was to my advantage that I didn't tell them about the implications of keeping Nudibranch in an aquarium or else I won't get product replacement. ;)

Better dun let fuEl hear all these.... he's a nudibranch lover...

:D:lol::D

Hey...you can give your infested zooxanthid colony to that guy...maybe he would love those nudibranchs? :eyebrow:

Anyway...here is mine...2 months already. Maybe it is slowly starving to death? Not sure...just see it crawling about all day.

post-6-1064163444.jpg

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• 2 weeks later...

by the way...nudibranchs live more more than 2 or 3 weeks. My spanish dancer lived for 2 months! :lol::lol::lol:

If you treat them well enough, I heard, it may live up to a year!!!

I think cucumbers are more poisonous than nudibranchs. :ph34r:

NUDIBRANCHS RULEZZZ!!! :bow::lol::D:lol::bow:

• SRC Member
by the way...nudibranchs live more more than 2 or 3 weeks. My spanish dancer lived for 2 months! :lol::lol::lol:

If you treat them well enough, I heard, it may live up to a year!!!

I think cucumbers are more poisonous than nudibranchs. :ph34r:

NUDIBRANCHS RULEZZZ!!! :bow::lol::D:lol::bow:

hey bro, can att pic of yr spanish dancer? wh & how much u bou? im looking 4 it.... :thanks:

• SRC Member

We got 2 "free" green nudibranch when we 1st finished cycled our tank (dun know where they came frm - LR?). Wasn't sure what it was then, so took them out of tank. Whilst it was getting picked on (by pair of disposable chopsticks), it released clear mucus-like stuff (which I believe now mayB their toxin) in the water. Didn't make any major water changes then but now wondering if the toxin is still in our water ...

Anyone had similar experience?