Tunze Protein Skimmer 9010

Eudaceous

• SRC Member

great. that sounds like a perfectly normal and correct opinion. nothing wrong with that at all as compared as to your first post coming in and rubbishing this review that euda has done for us.

pls try to employ more tact next time. happy reefing. and thanks euda, it has indeed been educational.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To your question,

be honest, i also love wet skim sometimes. who don't? crystal clear water in your tank!. And it is even clearer if we o3 our tank! But right now i have not use o3 yet. anyway, i usually run wet skim for 7- 14 days in a month and the rest i run dry skim. so that's how i maintain my tank.

Euda already mention the differences of wet skim does and dry skim does. Summary: wet skim pulls many thing and little water and dry skim pulls certain thing and a little bit of water.

the little water pulled from the wet skim might contains calcium, trace elements, etc. well, this is not a big issue, we can add additives in replaced. And from dry skim is less additives elements wasted.

anyway, there is nuthin wrong by being wet skim and dry skim,just like i mention before, i do BOTH. i hope you all agree with me.

I just like a skimmer that can perform wet and dry system, it is so much fun...............................

Hi salmon11,

Since you use both wet & dry skimming, will wet skimming fill up the collection cup faster?

• SRC Member

Hi guys this is my water clarity. For those who still dont understand why reefers like myself love Ozone..Well you can see for your self..Fish and corals seem to float. My tank parameters today are as follows

KH 13.1 KH 4.69 meq/l

PO4 0.02

Ca 0.34 330 ppm

ORP 341 mv

NO3 25 ppm (Ouch..see my thread on members specs for explanation)

Temp 25.2

NO2 nil

post-14-1134742100.jpg

• SRC Member

Hi Guys

I made a mistake in my earlier dialogue with brother salmon11. The Tunze 9015 has a longer collection chamber, so bubbles travel higher. It is this extra 1.5 inches that the bubbles had to travel that makes it dryer as many bubbles will already been burst before reaching into the cup as it mizes with the surrounding air. So it is true that 9015 skimms dryer that the 9010 which skimms slightly wetter.. But then again I am pretty impressed with the performance thus far..and definitely it outperforms my Weipro 2012, 2015 by more than 10 times. I will take a break from giving updates on the Tunze coz I will be vacationing with my family in Korea. Will be back on the 27th Dec. In the meanwhile I will tune the Tunze to be completely dry and by then the skimmer will probably been fully broken into.

bro eudacious. i totally not agreed with you. how do you compare weipro and tunze? even though you said tunze is 10 times better than weipro, but, do you know weipro is 10 times cheaper than tunze? please be realistic.

I personnally rate tunze is mediocre. 9015 and 9020 are also wet skimmerl. 9010 is out of the league.

• SRC Member
bro eudacious. i totally not agreed with you. how do you compare weipro and tunze? even though you said tunze is 10 times better than weipro, but, do you know weipro is 10 times cheaper than tunze? please be realistic.

I personnally rate tunze is mediocre. 9015 and 9020 are also wet skimmerl. 9010 is out of the league.

Before anyone starts wacking salmon11 all over again.

This are just his comments and feelings.

They are the same as bro Eu's review. Just words. Do not need to make a world war out of it. We got enough of Bushes around already.

Bro salmon11, I think the community would probably be able to react better and treat you better if you can exercise and post with more tact. To each his own. Just leave a couple of words with reasonable and logically proof that Tunze is not a super skimmer. I think you have made your point and done your part in warning the community or a potential buyer in getting the product if he or she is also looking for the exact quality as you.

But I will have to agree that if Tunze works 10X better than Weipro, and it also cost 10X more than Weipro. It is not exactly a very good deal for a buyer, since we are all putting good money in. Then again, it does work better and serve the purpose for skimming better right?

Makes more sense to buy one Tunze than getting ten Weipros right? ;)

PEACE :peace:

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

Eudaceous,

thanks to your irresponsible review n backed by your ugly pictures.. i went and bought a tunze myself

j/k :P

my weipro 2013 is taking up too much space so i decided to get something more compact.. wala.. ur review :)

reef depot didn't have the 9010 in stock.. so i got the next bigger tunze :P

fired up for 1/2 day liao.. nothing :(

no foam no skimate :erm:

hopefully its break in (1 to 3 days hmm)

hopefully get something tomorrow.. otherwise wasted money :cry:

maybe overkill big time as my tank only 64gal.. + sump another 15 gal max..

aquatronica7na.gif

• SRC Member

the comments on skimmer performance vs price analysis

is something that is very "personal preference" and oso not really been

benchmark properly.

comments like the below

1) Do u have space for 10 weipro?

2) maybe u're right that tunze is 10x more X than weipro, BUT

even if u run 10 weipro, R U SURE it can outperform 1 tunze? its like saying

Subaru can run faster than KIA but cost 5 times more X. But u put 5

KIA togather, can they outrun the Subaru???

If I rem correctly, there is something like a saturation pt for skimmer

ie skimmer will skim to this pt and cannot skim anymore DOC fr the water.

Every skimmer had their own "saturation" pt and that's y some skimmer cost

arm and leg and others are so cheap. Maybe u can do a test, put 1 tunze

and 10 Weipro in the same tank and let them skim. My gut feeling is that the

10 Weipro will stop skimming way long before the tunze ...

3) What is realistic and what is not? What r u trying to say by ur comments?

Buying 10 Weipro is realistic? :evil: Or, tunze performance is not worth the $$$?

If so, back ur statement with proper finding or argument pls. :P

If u wanna put forth a comment, do ur own "realistic" study 1st lar :P

gunzo, what type of tunze did you buy? any progress?.for your reference , good skimmers will never overkill your tank.

what is up with you guys?. man, you are really nuts! what is the point comparing weipro and tunze?.

i own a beckett, and i will not compare my beckett with weipro. i feel stupid comparing with weipro. i will compare with other beckett, needwheel, deltec, aquac pro, etc.

Do you know weipro can perform better when modified??

who has ever modified weipro?

• SRC Member

salmon11

tunze 9015..

working now.. the skimate is wetter with more air rite now.. i'll let it settle down before making it drier.. it does takes a long time to build the foam as it has a taller neck..

bro.. i went thru all (yes all!) your posts.. and 90% are almost flames.. :rolleyes:

but i read deeper and also understand you're trying to help fellow reefers here.. think you need to tone down your approach coz i almost ignored all your posts as just flamebait.. :angel:

it (tunze) may not be better than some other brands/types but for me its the form factor that attracted me.. small and compact

thanks for your other side of the coin view :)

aquatronica7na.gif

• SRC Member
what is up with you guys?. man, you are really nuts! what is the point comparing weipro and tunze?.

so r u comparing or not comparing .. can umake up ur mind :P

sounds like Dr M :evil:

• SRC Member

After reading through this thread I appreciates the contribution given by our fellow reefer. Some request such as tuning it dry, wet with ozone and without ozone is being perform upon request.

We should all appreciate the contribution given different individual have different expactation on a certain product. By looking at this review we are learning more everyday about products that in the market.

The review done here gave a lot of benefit to all of us. And the contributor has also put in alot of effort in the product review thread. If any of us here have a different view on this product pls feel free to share your review instead of sparking an arguement.

Regards and peace.

Bro salmon,

LOL.... skimmer that can only perform one function haha you gotta be kidding... Its all abt tunning my fren even though the skimmer is suppose to perform wet skimming :lol::lol::lol:

Next you say you tune your beckett for dry skimming time to time and wet skimming time to time.. hahah... Firstly the worst part or usually the down pt of beckett is the tunning(if tune properly skimmer can work wonder if not skimmer will fail badly), usually once ppl feel that they get the optimum tunning they will stop tunning and leave the skimmer to run as it is... But from your way of doing things, tunning regularly as and when, do you really think you manage to get your skimmer to perform to its full potential.... I seriously doubt so ;)

Oh ya and you say you like skimmer that can perform both function.. let me emphasise:ITS ALL ABT TUNNING.... And your reason: cos it fun! Wow i guess anything fun to you is good.... :lol::lol::lol:

Also wet skimming doesn't guarantee you clearer water compared to dry skimming... Hmm maybe you can use a pic or 2 to prove your pt.... Also seem that your system is running pretty well from the way you describe.. why dun you share with us your tank... I am sure we will learnt alot of things from it...

Lastly, review is usually out of good will by reefer who are willing to say their products(of course it must not be biased) so i really feel its just not good to come in and disrupt their review... If you find it so easy, do one review yourself.. we will gladly contribute to your thread

Anyway :peace:

PS:bro Eudaceous sorry for disrupting your thread

you guys got nuthin to do eh?. there are a lot of good threads to read, rather than talking nonsense. get yourself some education.

Look whos talking nonsense i guess everyone knows....

Anyway wonderful review... I always thought udnerstand the technology behind tunze and nv like them(honestly) but now, better a better understanding of this skimmer ;)

• SRC Member
We should all appreciate the contribution given different individual have different expactation on a certain product. By looking at this review we are learning more everyday about products that in the market.

The review done here gave a lot of benefit to all of us. And the contributor has also put in alot of effort in the product review thread. If any of us here have a different view on this product pls feel free to share your review instead of sparking an arguement.

PEACE man ...

I am very into this thread coz I am also looking at getting a skimmer myself

and I am not picking a fight with a nobody. juz wanna put things right so that

other ppl (or newbies) reading this thread know what and how to judge when

shopping for a skimmer.

1 thing always pop-up when shopping for skimmer ie $$$ VS performance

other factor such as space constraint to others are number 1 consideration.

This product review is giving the reader a very good comparison between

$$$ / Performance / Space

bros, i am asking u question becoz u seems to be mis-leading the readers with

ur comments, that's y ppl are asking u to backup ur claim lar. if in the 1st place

u had backup ur comments, then this thread will be a very informative thread,

rather than another word-war .. sad but true :(

cheers

• SRC Member
well bro lob, hehh. seller lob, how many 9010 do you have? affraid your 9010 become scrap plastic? so sad eh!

you guys got nuthin to do eh?. there are a lot of good threads to read, rather than talking nonsense. get yourself some education.

Speak for yourself.

I guess only intelligent people like you would say such things.

Unlike other readers who are too kind and polite to tell it say the obvious; you have been speaking CRAP since this thread came up.

Please take the kind advice of the others and start your own tread and not bother us here.

We want to read hard solid facts/user experience here; not agent-said-to-me or i-use-breckett-so-listen-to-me crap.

See ya in your new thread :peace:

man, you guys are really nuthin to do. if you want me to to explain in more details, why don't you read some threads( about skimmers, wet vs dry) post by antony calfo in reefkeeping. then we talk after.

i will not repeat anymore of this nonseses. and by the way, i have never said that i want to compare tunze with weipro. actually, eudacious is the person who compare tunze with weipro.

• SRC Member
man, you guys are really nuthin to do. if you want me to to explain in more details, why don't you read some threads( about skimmers, wet vs dry) post by antony calfo in reefkeeping. then we talk after.

hi bros, pls do not confuse the reader, esp if there is newbies reading this thread.

What antony calfo is talking abt, as u say, is wet vs dry skimate.

What this review thread is abt had constraint factors in them,

that is Cost and Space Vs Perfomance.

i will not repeat anymore of this nonseses. and by the way, i have never said that i want to compare tunze with weipro. actually, eudacious is the person who compare tunze with weipro.

It is normal for bros eudacious to compare between the 2 coz he's using a

Weipro previously. What bros eudacious is trying to say (to his personal view and

knowledge) is that the $$$ for the improved performance of the tunze skimmer

over the previous Weipro skimmer is justifiable. That is all, no more n no less.

If at the very begining u say that the $$$ for the improved performace of

tunze over weipro is not justifiable, then all is well because that is your own

opinion when weighing $$$ vs perfomance. But what you had say is tunze 9010

skimmer is no good. Of coz as reader, we would ask for reasons. We are not

supporters of tunze or wat, we are fellow reefers whom want to learn more abt

this hobby. So if you have no constructive information to share, better to keep

quiet than to make a fool out of yourself.

A man who knows that he knows is wise.

A man who knows that he does not know is learning.

A man who does not know that he does not know is ignorant.

A man who does not know that he does not know and act like he knows is a fool.

zeypros, know you clarify your topic which is cost and space vs performance. you are talking a good topic.

other fellow members just talking craps, that is why i recommend them to read more threads and especially calfo threads.

and i mentioned to you zeypros, i am not comparing weipro with tunze. i just want to compare 9010 with 9015 or 9020 and other compatible class skimmers such as aquac remora pro , beckett, and others.

so which skimmer do you want to compare with tunze 9010? ask me a question

any update from gunzo about 9015??

• SRC Member

Mentioned before that you should exercise more tact when posting.

Do not insult and disrespect others, and expect respect from us for you.

You already said it is personal preference, whether one likes it wet or dry. So what are you starting all over again? <_<

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

update .. working as it should now .. here's some picts ..

seems to work almost like my previous weipro :(

maybe it's mostly wet skimming

weird in that it need 1-2 days to break in ..

Parameters with weipro in operation

NO2- 0ppm

NO3- 12.5ppm (tetra test)

PO4 - 0.25 (sera test)

parameters with tunze in operation (note it's only 1 week)

NO2 - 0ppm

NO3 - 50ppm (tetra) ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

PO4 - 0.1 (sera)

beginning to hate big tank .. 10% change of water is only 26.4L ... changed 3 pails of 18.9kg coralife pails .. Grr .. still almost same NO3 level

maybe because I feed garlic mix .. and these are beginning to generate NO3 as the fish don't eat the garlic ..

here's some pict in operation ..

post-14-1136020219.jpg

aquatronica7na.gif