Sailfin Tang 'attacking' newcomers..

Hi all, I bought 2 copperband butterflies (supposedly feeding on brimes already) and a batfish and added it to the community earlier todae... and I realised that the sailfin tang was chasing them around and around the tank... :blink:

Is it attacking them?

I only read that Tangs are aggressive to fellow tangs but din expect it to tackle the new comers as they aint fellow species...

How do i prevent that bugger from bothering the newcomers (they are jus minding their own business!)

:pinch:

Thx

• SRC Member

i thought the fiercest is a PT...nv did i knew it was a sailfin...n still chasing butterflies....hmmz....

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

Yes actually... its currently the biggest in the tank.. ok mayb i should counter it... I put in a uber big fish (*excuse to get uncle to go fishopping) and see it being attacked :evil: tat little bugger :heh:

Actually for some reason, my back of the tank... is reflective leh :erm: I dunno why also... I can see reflection of the interior of the tank and the fishes... is it enuff?

Thanks... and sorry for you guys having to type replies :bow:

• SRC Member

i had same prob the last time..... my sailfin attacks even "new" fishes that are bigger than itself..... i tried the mirror trick but didnt work in long run so in the end had to release the bugger as gotten to big n started attacking old n new tank mates , big or small.... sad cos i kept it since it was tiny paperthin....

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

Sailfin is one of the fiercest tang i ever kept... They will chase any newcomer... Better moniter them closely... Try using a mirror to distract the sailfin...

There're 2 types rite? One Pacific and one red sea... Read in another thread that Red sea specie is more fierce... What's the one u had?