What is your priority when selecting a chiller?

Volitan

What is your 1st choice when selecting a chiller?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. What is your 1st choice when selecting a chiller?

• Brand
    • Cooling element (titanium, copper etc)
    • Dimensions
    • Features (thermometers etc)
    • Outlook
    • Power consumption (i.e. Watts)
    • Power rating (i.e. HP)
    • Price
    • Size of water compartment

• SRC Member
Got space in office? You got to consider as well. Chiller is quite 'eat electricity'.

You are no longer a 'lionfish' btw. heehee.

I won't need a chiller in the office. I am migrating my LS home. Finally got my long waited approval. :P Now in the process of designing my tank, but got space constraint, that's why trying to squeeze the chiller into my small cabinet. Targeting a 2.5 ft tank.

U still want your clowns? If not I continue keeping. :D

And yes, I realised that I am no longer a "lionfish". Mods, is there anyway to stay as a "lionfish" irregardless of my number of posts? :lol:

• SRC Member

Congrats on your approval. Now you got to teach your fishes to eat veg only. :P

I would want back my clown fish if you do not want. But my tank crashed, hardware problems. When you starting your move?

When is office moving also anyway? My current office is in Harbourfront. Can meet for lunch often next time. heehee.

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

Plan to shift in Jan. But still in planning stage. Got 2 main constraints - space and $$. :( So may need to shift back the entire tank, and just do a cabinet and buy a cheap chiller. Looks like the clowns are fated to be with me. Haha. But I need to give up my mandarins and lion. It's going to be strictly no "meaty" food tank. So all those that need to feed on frozen or live will need to go. :cry2:

Office migrating end FY. Can jio then.

• SRC Member
I managed to get a cabinet with its front & back opened, so that the chiller will not overheat. I like having the cabinet as it allows me to put stuff on top of the chiller. ;)

Chiller with Black Cabinet :)

I am thinking of doing something like that too, except that the top portion becomes a seat rather than a "table". I see that you are using Resun 650. Do you have the dimension for that?

:thanks:

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

prod_chiller_pdf_pg_2.jpg

This Chiller is cool.. :D can get one from Our Local Sponsors...the Korean Daeil. Serving me well.... or can get a 2nd hand in the pasar malam.. Dt866 is selling it..

Look Carefully at the specs..it allows 9000L / hour for this chiller... :bow:

More than the usual China brand.. but maybe as time progress, Resun may be getting better and better... :yeah:

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member
In your poll you don't have an option for "reliable chiller". And that's what I would choose.

I guess reliability can be defined in a few ways. Are you referring to low breakdown frequencies or good after sales support? Perhaps "brand" can cover these areas? :P

BTW, may I know where does the output from the chiller go to - the sump or the main tank? Which one the more effective, i.e. less stressful to the chiller?

bro,my chiller be coming in next week,n :idea: i actually plan to have the output of chiller 2 go maintank,n input from sump. dunno if its right or not.can other bros enlighten me also?? :thanks:

• SRC Member
bro,my chiller be coming in next week,n :idea:  i actually plan to have the output of chiller 2 go maintank,n input from sump. dunno if its right or not.can other bros enlighten me also?? :thanks:

Logically, I think that should be the way. Only problem now is that I have not catered a pipe for return from chiller. I am thinking of doing something as shown in the pic, but I think there may be a backflow at point "e" back to the chiller, and may affect the effectiveness of the return flow. Can some good soul advise?

:thanks:

post-17-1136772319.jpg

• SRC Member

Try to do a seperate loop. Not a good idea to do it all in the same loop. If one fails, all fails.

Volitan, since your tank not done up yet, can still redesign, right? Or work started already?

btw, me still overseas, now in Saipan. Trip got extended. So, won't be back so early. ;)

• SRC Member
Try to do a seperate loop. Not a good idea to do it all in the same loop. If one fails, all fails.

Volitan, since your tank not done up yet, can still redesign, right? Or work started already?

btw, me still overseas, now in Saipan. Trip got extended. So, won't be back so early. ;)

R u referring to the use of 1 pump for 2 purpose? Should be able to use another pump for chiller, no prob. My concern is whether back flow will occur at pt "e". I am not willing to have a 3rd pipe cos it will increase my overflow size.

• SRC Member

I thought of placing a separate pump in the 2nd compartment to pump water into the chiller, and let the outlet into the 3rd compartment, so that the return pump can move the chilled water into the main tank. But will this be less efficient than pumping chilled water directly into the main tank?

• SRC Member

Agree with pakcik patrick on his comment.

Volitan, look at it this way, with more seperate loops systems, the less independent each equipment is, and maybe you do not need to buy so many seio anymore.

btw, no lobang on seio or cabinents for you. sorry.