Long Nose Hawk Fish

• SRC Member

Over the past year I have had two long nosed hawk fish, but both have jumped out of the tank at night (and died).

Is this a common trait with this fish? Are they trying to mutate into flying fish or SIA pilots?

I don't want to put a cover over the tank so I guess I will just have to stop keeping these little guys.

Anyone else had such experieinces?

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

I've heard of firefish jumping but never of long nose hawkfish

But it is unpredictable as my trigger jumped a few days ago but hit the eurobracing and fell back in *phew*

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

met with a fellow reefer over lunch. He has had a long nose hawkfish jump out too.

Blueheaven...yup, i lost a fire fish once the same way.

• SRC Member

tsk tsk... :( fishes nowadays take things very seriously.. little bit of unhappiness only, they "jump".... sigh...

i had the dubious honour of having 6 fire gobies, 1 indian ocean Fox face, 1 blue tang leaping to their untimely demise... something must hv spooked them... :cry:

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

eeek, i have had it lucky then............. am thinking of surrounding the top of the tank with barbed wire to stop them from climbing out.

Maybe I'll tie a rubber band to their tails - then they can bungy jump.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha maybe too hungry come out and find food instead?

My hawkfish is my pride...bought it for a week liaox...so super greedy and not afraid of my hand...so enthu evrytime i come near the tank....think it might just jump out anytime to hug me...Haha

Anyway my hawkfish started hand feeding right on the first day its in the tank....rellly surprised...so guess its not in any stress and hence not in any danger of Kamikazi then...phew ;)

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

From wat i observe my hawk like to stay ard the top of the tank. Rest on LR high up. They never like the bottom. I put a magnet scrubber in the tank and my hawk will rest there. Maybe u can put a magnet scrubber for it to be a platform on the higher water.

• SRC Member
Erm, my longnose never did bother my shrimps....but then it could be due to the fact that the shrimp was slightly larger than the longnose....shRugZ

Websites say that longnose hawkfishes will be fine with shrimps for some time, till one day it decides to have a snack... so it is taking a risk keeping shrimps with them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

i learnt this thing from aquariacentral.com and i am using it for my tank .. they called it eggcrate ... and ppl here use it to cover their tanks to prevent their arowanas from jumping out ... made of acryllic.. its like a thick sheet with aquare holes .. aiyah tml i will post pics of ot ..