Brown Tang scared of me!

I just bought a brown tang (Zebrasoma scopas) and put it inside my tank. When I put the fish in yesterday, it was running around, finding place to hide. I think it was in shock after the long trip home.

Now after 1 day, is the fish still in shock? Coz whenever I appear in front of my tank, the fish will dash for cover. This is very annoying as I wanna enjoy its beauty but the fish sees me as if it has seen a ghost. :paiseh:

Any ideas how to pacify the new guy? :unsure:

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

It pecks the furry green algae and leafy maroon algae on my LRs, but never eat the flakes that I dropped into the tank. :(

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

us,Dec 4 2005, 10:53 PM] It pecks the furry green algae and leafy maroon algae on my LRs, but never eat the flakes that I dropped into the tank. :(

tangs are very greedy creature . why dont u try to wean them into eating by offering brine shrimp or mysis first. after a while , they will eat almost everything .

it also depend on each's individual character. give it a while to adjust it's new environment . :peace:

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

The shy guy didn't care about the mysis shrimps that I dropped into the tank. The shrimps flew pass the tang several times but it simply ignores the food. :(

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

• SRC Member

Give the BT some time to acclimatize into the new environment. When I first bought my Regal Tang, it wouldn't come out from behind the rocks each time I stand infront of my tank. It is only when no one is infront of the tank, then it will swim out to explore.

It took my Regal Tang about 1-2months before associating me with food. Each time I'm infront of the tank, I'll feed my fishes. Therefore, now, the Regal Tang will come out each time he sees me. ;)

Thanks guys.

Should I throw some seaweed into the tank?

Should I flood mysis shrimp, or should I buy live brine shrimps to entice my tang?

I'm afraid it dies of hunger as I'm unsure if it really eats the furry green algae or the leafy maroon algae :(

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

• SRC Member

Throw her in my tank and she'll be influence by all my tang and even eat from the hand :lol: ha ha just joking me gong by my work load in the offce, just need to release some tension.

Give her time and everything will be fine. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update.

The fish is still alive, despite eating very, very little, and contracted a coat of white spot disease. :(

The other fishes are doing fine, just this one. I think it is still stressed and shocked, that's why I got the white spot while the others are free from it?

It eats dried flakes and mysis shrimps, but in very small portions. My LRs are covered with macroalgae and it munches on them as well.

What should I do to make him feel like home? He still darts around like a super scared fish, just like in day 1. :(

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

I think the fish is going to die liao. The ich is so bad that the skin is peeling off. I don't wanna describe any further coz it gives me goosepimples. :(

Maybe I should just stick to clownfish.

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

Actually I got my mandarin to eat mysis shrimps the last time. Haha. :D

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

• SRC Member
read somewhere that having not-so-shy fishes like chromis will help your shy fishes to come out in the open. chromis normally will swim around in the open. perhaps you can try this the next time round...  B)

;) Yap thats true. My dispars used to hide like crazy in my QT.

But when introduced to the main tank where theres a grp of chromis, they just shoal together out in the open.

Give yur tang some time la. Good that its at least eating something. :)

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

I read that Tangs need veggie stuff to stay strong. I don't have those veggie fish food. I tried market seaweed but it doesn't seem to eat.

Should I throw in broccoli or some leafy veggies?

Or should I feed it mysis shrimps or fish food?

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

Sigh... :( The poor tang died.

That was my first tang. I really like tangs! But now, I don't know if my tank is suitable for tangs. :(

(~ cci[RR]us ~)