Feeding Seahorse...

chinmo

• SRC Member

hi guys!

brought 4 seahorses from lor halus yesterdae, when i brought them, their colours was black and light yellow, have tiger tails, in the evening they turn very light yellow, is tis normal? observed tat they keep ###### copepods from their hitchpost.

Tried feeding them frozen mysis todae, but they still prefer the pods, tink they r wc. will they feed on frozens? u guys have any way to wean them to frozens?

Thanks! :bow:

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member

good news! got one of them started feeding on frozens! tink the rest still nid more time. :D

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member

hi chinmo, congrats! Hope all your 4 horses will feed frozen ASAP.

SH changing color is very normal, no need to worry. They are definitely wild caught. Once you solve the feeding problem, be prepared for diseases showing up on them. Most WC SH carry diseases with them, it is a matter of time when they surface, esp when the SH is stressed.

• SRC Member
hi guys!

Tried feeding them frozen mysis todae, but they still prefer the pods, tink they r wc. will they feed on frozens? u guys have any way to wean them to frozens?

Thanks! :bow:

Hi

You can consider PE Mysis shrimp.

Seems like everyone in Seahorse.org is using it.

• SRC Member

Thanks bro Real, got one of the guys feeding, the rest still taking handicapped ghost shrimp, hoping to wean them to frozens soon! :D Will watch out for the diesease problem. :huh:

Bro Corrado, do you know which shop is selling PE mysis? want to give it a try! :yeah:

• SRC Member

from what I know, none of our LFS carry PE Mysis. I spoken to WaterCircle on the possibility of bringing in PE Mysis from US, he said he may consider if there is enough demand. Most local LFS are selling Bio-Pure Hikari mysis.

• SRC Member

thanks bro, email him abt the mysis oredi. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks bro Real, got one of the guys feeding, the rest still taking handicapped ghost shrimp, hoping to wean them to frozens soon! :D Will watch out for the diesease problem. :huh:

Bro Corrado, do you know which shop is selling PE mysis? want to give it a try! :yeah:

Hi

You can get it from Reborn. I saw it when I was there just last saturday.

• SRC Member

is reb**n selling P.E mysis? last time i went they only have hikari mysis.... :) tomolo will go check out :yeah: thanks bro!

Frankly I don't see the point of paying so much for mysis. And I can't seem to see any logic about the advantage of feeding freshwater shrimp to marine fish. There might be advantages like the fish wun have to expend energy to expel salt...but...freshwater food might be deficient in certain nutrients that can be only found in marine organisms.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

I also think PE Mysis is too expensive to justify its benefits. I did a simple comparison between PE and Hikari: 200g of PE cost $15, 100g of Hikari cost $1.50, which means PE costs 5 times more than Hikari.

Can PE bring so much benefits than Hikari? PE mysis is said to be smaller size than Hikari, thus more suitable for young SH. But my recent purchase of Hikari also very small size.

I would rather enrich Hikari with Selcon to achieve better nutrition.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Pi_Li_Pa_La, Hi, glad to c u in tis forum. :D the 2 are fine, whack frozens the first dae they in my tank! :yeah:

Cookiemunster, Hi hi! my SH do take frozens cyclops, some eat like mad, but most prefer to take hikari mysis. :D

of coz i using frozen cyclopeeeess..... have to put into the freezer one.... if not melt very stinko... hoho.... GooD and conveint food..... cyclopeesss = fast food for the marine life~~~ kekekeke :yeah:

Quick thank me for da frozen cyclopeeze

ahahah... :evil:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/