Overflow so LOUD!!!!!

KyRo

Hi guys,

Was building my new 200gallon tank and i realised i calculated everything and designed the way i like the tank except now i face 1 unforseen problem....

The water that goes to the overflow tank is so loud and my wife has been complaining.

I was told by a friend that putting bioballs will lessen the sound. But im quite skeptical as i thought bioballs will lead to a nitrate factory. Any suggestions u guys have to lessen the noise???

my 6 footer is powered by 2 x ehiem 1262 pumps and its soooo loud .....

Thx

help pls!!!!

:cry:

i did construct a durso pipe for my overflow box before, can reduce but still come every now and then. Furthermore the water level move up and down, scare will over flow the main tank, so removed it.

What i did was to put a adjustable valve on the pipe from the main tank flowing down to the sump. Adjust the valve till the water level 1inch above the return pipe hole. (hope you understand what i'm talking about). Then the LOUD sound is gone. Now think will put back the durso to reduce the waterfall sound.

I have bioball to reduce the waterfall sound now.

To me there are 2 types of sound: one the hollow sound (come every now and then), 2nd the waterfall sound. Which "LOUD" sound you talking about.

I think your durso got something wrong. The breathing hole is too big.

Try to silicon a air valve and slowly adjust it unti lwater level is stable.

If the sound is coz by the waterfall effect from tank into overflow, just build a higher durso and problem solved.

lol thx for all the reply guys. hmm mayb i should construct a durso pipe.

whoami: the sound is like a hollow waterfall sound... so that means both sound...

Also dun mind me asking how long have you got yr bioballs in the overflow and does it become a nitrate factory??

keithtanbb: i have no idea the plastic bag trick is ehhe

i guess i should go read up on durso pipes now.

:thanks: everyone

I think your durso got something wrong. The breathing hole is too big.

Try to silicon a air valve and slowly adjust it unti lwater level is stable.

If the sound is coz by the waterfall effect from tank into overflow, just build a higher durso and problem solved.

Tried adjusting the breathing hole from small to big, little at a time no help

bioballs there for 3 months already, can not manage to reduce NO3 below 25ppm. Note, i not running skimmer, but got cheato. Not sure if that the source.

When construct durso, found that the durso pipe should be 1 size larger than the overflow pipe. That is, if your over flow pipe is 1" diameter, make your durso diameter 1 1/4" diameter. I did not follow this. Maybe this is the reason. No know

• SRC Member

Just imagine water cascading directly down the overflow compartment. The noise is certainly unbearable. Bioballs do reduce the noise considerably by breaking the "waterfall".

In addition to bioballs, I place a piece of perforated hard plastic sheet (cut to size) as a drip-plate. So, the water flows is spread evenly as it flows down over the bioballs.

To further reduce noise I place some foam (cut to size) over the perforated plastic sheet. The piece of foam also helps to trap dirt, uneaten food, etc. and prevent them from going to the bioballs.

For even better effect, I place another piece of perforated plastic sheet over the foam to even the spread of water over the foam.

So far, there's hardly any noise, and my fishes are healthy and hearty. I have to clean the piece of foam quite regularly though.

That's the cheap way I solved my problems. Not too sure whether the same is applicable to yours.