Hair Algae on Star Polyps

Volitan

• SRC Member

brother, recently i also have an attack from algae...and i sincerely believe it is cause of the oceanic salt i am using.

cos my personal observation is after there were initial signs of just some slight algae growth cos of po4 media exhaust, i decided to do 15% water change to bring the nutrients down due to that time rowa no stock...then siao!...within 2-3days, the algae bloomed extremely quickly.

so what i did was

1)i go buy aquaphos and dump all in FR

2)buy electric blue leg hermit

3)get algae blenny

4)got a brittle star

IMO, the salt was the one that made the bloom worse and is in accordance with what some had reflected in RC (but note this is my opinion..those who've happily used oceanic salt for a very long time, i'm glad that it has served you well) so after a week or 2, the algae finally began to disappear many thanks to the cleaning crew and aquaphos.

so my pt is, get algae problem solved first with help of po4 remover and if neccesary a clean up crew.

then as for star polyp growth, these guys when provided with good water quality, bright lights and medium flow will grow well and fast....so dun worry about them...i think they're quite tough

• SRC Member
brother, recently i also have an attack from algae...and i sincerely believe it is cause of the oceanic salt i am using.

cos my personal observation is after there were initial signs of just some slight algae growth cos of po4 media exhaust, i decided to do 15% water change to bring the nutrients down due to that time rowa no stock...then siao!...within 2-3days, the algae bloomed extremely quickly.

so what i did was

1)i go buy aquaphos and dump all in FR

2)buy electric blue leg hermit

3)get algae blenny

4)got a brittle star

IMO, the salt was the one that made the bloom worse and is in accordance with what some had reflected in RC (but note this is my opinion..those who've happily used oceanic salt for a very long time, i'm glad that it has served you well) so after a week or 2, the algae finally began to disappear many thanks to the cleaning crew and aquaphos.

so my pt is, get algae problem solved first with help of po4 remover and if neccesary a clean up crew.

then as for star polyp growth, these guys when provided with good water quality, bright lights and medium flow will grow well and fast....so dun worry about them...i think they're quite tough

Bro, thanks for your advice. Actually I am in the midst of migrating my LS to a new tank, so am only thinking of changing PO4 remover while at the new tank. Same with the water change.

So far I have not had any luck with fishes or inverts feeding on hair algae. Not my algae, not my crabs. :( Anyone got a crab or blenny I can "borrow" to clear my algae? "Rent" also can. :D