Critters Population boom

nakazoru

• SRC Member

Hi guyz;

Came back from China and notice that my tank has a overwhelming population of:

1. minature feather duster on my glass and LR.

2. flea like bugs on sandbed and LR, I mean everywhere. Even on glass where flow is low.

3. Hair algae everywhere now, though no trace of diatom.

4. trace of cynano at a spot of low flow area. I thought I run rowaphos and this should not happen.

For 1 and 2, my tank has no natural predator for these guyz so what fish should I get to get ride of them?

For 3, I guess 2 mini blue tang may do the job.

Item 4 confused as this is the first trace of cynano in my tank, as I ran rowa for a while now.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

hi bro nakazoru,

if youre able to catch some of the critters- probably benthic copepods and amphipods, id be really interested to buy some.

if youre looking for a natural predator, a scooter blenny or mandarin would be a good bet, though youd do best to add only one and see if your pod population can sustain it.

cheers,

ian

• SRC Member
hey naka, just sharing what i think. your rowa may have been exhausted and it may be time to replace it? Also i think the critter population is supposed to be healthy for the sandbed. Just my thoughts :D cheerz

Haiz;

When I say alot I really meant alot. They use to come out only in the night, now even day....

Like they have built a colony somewhere...

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member
hi bro nakazoru,

if youre able to catch some of the critters- probably benthic copepods and amphipods, id be really interested to buy some.

if youre looking for a natural predator, a scooter blenny or mandarin would be a good bet, though youd do best to add only one and see if your pod population can sustain it.

cheers,

ian

Bro Ian;

These guys is really small... They float after I try to pinch it. I think they are amphipods bcos they have legs and climb the glass...

If you really wants I sell you 1 dollar a piece. :D Joking Free lah.

Just scope some of the sand and you will have some I guess.

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

hoho i would actually like some too man....my sand bed is dead. IMO i think generally any fish would serve to control the population but the scooter or mandarin would be more adept due to their habits.

ian what does benthic mean?

anyway would be glad to trade some scoops of sand with u naka!

• SRC Member

Bro Ian;

These guys is really small... They float after I try to pinch it. I think they are amphipods bcos they have legs and climb the glass...

If you really wants I sell you 1 dollar a piece. :D Joking Free lah.

Just scope some of the sand and you will have some I guess.

Are they shape like little crockroach??

• SRC Member

Are they shape like little crockroach??

Yep, they certainly do, look transparent and got more legs.

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

Yep, they certainly do, look transparent and got more legs.

OK you are not alone. My new small nano tank has quite alot this morning when I juz on the lights to check. Look quite nice if they are under the blue light with their transparent body hehe. But when they move about in a group, kinda quite creepy..... :D

• SRC Member

haha... gd wat... got all this thing can keep nice nice madarin fish... i also got alot in my tank and sump also but scare keep madarin fish eat finish all the pod then die of hunger...

minature feather duster very nice wat... like small flower will not harm ur coral some more ...y want to get rid of them??

• SRC Member
ian what does benthic mean?

hi there bro dreamzcape,

benthic organisms refers to organisms that occur or relate to the bottom of a habitat, in this case, the substrate of the ocean or our tanks. for example, take copepods- free swimming planktonic copepods are referred to as calanoid copepods, whereas benthic (tending to stay on substrate surfaces) copepods are classed as harpacticoid copepods.

basically, it kinda just means lives on the substrate, rather than in the water column, etc. for bro nakas case, i mentioned benthic because, if his pods are benthic and tend to linger on the substrate, then more likely than not theyre amphipods as opposed to copepods.

bro naka! i would love to have some sand from you. may i offer an sps frag in exchange?

thanks,

ian

• SRC Member

hi there bro dreamzcape,

benthic organisms refers to organisms that occur or relate to the bottom of a habitat, in this case, the substrate of the ocean or our tanks. for example, take copepods- free swimming planktonic copepods are referred to as calanoid copepods, whereas benthic copepods are classed as harpacticoid copepods.

basically, it kinda just means lives on the substrate, rather than in the water column, etc.

bro naka! i would love to have some sand from you. may i offer an sps frag in exchange?

thanks,

ian

Aiya;

No need anything lah. Just let me know when and where u wana pick it up?? B4 or after CNY?? Better aft lah.

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

ah thanks....i'm too lazy to actually remember so many details man...haha thanks ian..but actually hor...naka...what u can do is set up a mini tank using some old sand and actually let the critter population explode then every month u so some sand exchange, help keep the sandbed populated.

• 3 weeks later...