Nitrate remover

alvin_varian

Hi everyone,

my bioload was high, 3 tang, 3 angel, 2 banner, 2 clown, 3 fire dart, in 3x2x2 with sump. Added cheato amonth, N03 still sky high.

N03 measure 100ppm. Performing weekly 10% water change. Now, thinking of trying out the AZ nitrate remover, a bottle cost $38. Anyone has any advise? Is worth trying that? Or buy the equipmet NR? Thk you

• SRC Member

you can try dosing sugar or vodka. about the same as the az no3, which i tried using before, but not so effective.

use tiny tiny bits of sugar. something like quarter of a teaspoon for a 4 footer. most likely to cause a bacteria bloom that will consume oxygen, so maybe more aeration would be a good idea during this period. i think 10 days or so should bring your nitrate levels down drastically.

• SRC Member

I don think sugar dosing is a Long term Solution for that Nitrate problem..

Get a better skimmer...or Denitrator....

Or reduce bioload until Tank Matures.

sudden drop in Nitrate will do harm to your LS and CORAL....

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

what test kit are u using ?

sugar is quite dangerous , unless the chemistry is totally understood , dun really recommend u to use that .

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

I tried AZ nitrate before, it reduce my NO3 from 100ppm to 25ppm in a month. Dose it carefully as it will reduce oxgen in the tank.

Previously was using weipro, NO3 keep going up, tried keeping cheato and reduce feeding but no help. 2 months ago, got a Beckett and no matter how much i feed NO3 will not rise :), remain at -25ppm :)

So my advice is to get a good skimmer, save all the trouble and worries.

• SRC Member

Sorry Bro Alvin for hijacking the thread cos I also face the same problem as u. I had tried Coralife Nitrate Control but no help.

Am using a Beckett Skimmer but still read at 80ppm - 100ppm. Feeding once a day.

However, my coral are ok.

I have the following LS

2 x True Perc

2 x Dottyback

1 x wrasser

1 x fire goby

9 x Anthias

My tank is 3 x 3 x 2.5 running since last October. Any advise. Did I overstock liao?

Thanks in advance.

how big is your tank??

if using vodka i would start of with 5ml. increase by 1ml a day. test the nitrate after 2 weeks and start reducing dose by 1ml a day once the nitarte starts to drop, dont go over 30ml of vodka. it takes about 4 weeks to get the nitrate to zero.

• SRC Member
vodka works?

how much should i put in?

Put about 1-2 cm vodka in a glass with some ice, and then dose it into your mouth.....The vodka will help you destress and not worry so much about the NO3...hahahaha

Sorry, guys, just kididng. I know that high NO3 is worrysome. I have tried AZ before in an earlier tank. It did not seem to help much.

Best to look at a long term cure by identifying why is it high....insufficient skimming? Insufficient water changes? Overfeeding?

You can do a major water change. Changing 50% will halve your NO3 immediately (assuming your new salt water has no, or very low NO3). Don't worry about a 50% water change shocking your fish and/or coral. They will survive it no problem.

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

Hi

thk for the advise, I believe my bio load is high and feeding too heavily as the fish always eat not enough. Has thinking of changing half of the tank water, but how to prepare 1/2 tank salt water???? (3x2x2 + sump tank) . That why wanted to try on denitrater and reduce feeding, regularly 10% change.

• SRC Member
Sorry Bro Alvin for hijacking the thread cos I also face the same problem as u. I had tried Coralife Nitrate Control but no help.

Am using a Beckett Skimmer but still read at 80ppm - 100ppm. Feeding once a day.

However, my coral are ok.

I have the following LS

2 x True Perc

2 x Dottyback

1 x wrasser

1 x fire goby

9 x Anthias

My tank is 3 x 3 x 2.5 running since last October. Any advise. Did I overstock liao?

Thanks in advance.

the scaping of the tank must be factored into this case as well.

it does not mean once you get a beckett --> no more nitrate problems

the flow inside the tank must be great enough to allow the DOC and detritus to reach the skimmer and be skimmed out as gunk..

do you have a sandbed? this contributes to no3 problems as well..

post-304-1148825424.gifmadboy.gifmadboy.gifmadboy.gif

That just because someone doesn’t love you the way you want them to,

doesn’t mean they don’t love you with all they have.

• SRC Member

to do a half water change on a 3 x 2 x 2 tank plus sump will need about 150 litres of water or 7 x 20 pails. Every month or so I mix this much to do a 20% water change in my 5 foot tank. It's a pain to mix but it sure is an instant way to reduce your nitrates considerably. I use the 22 litre plastic buckets available from any of those hdb shops that sell plasticware - usually they are around S$4 each. Then you need one or two bags of salt.

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

the scaping of the tank must be factored into this case as well.

it does not mean once you get a beckett --> no more nitrate problems

the flow inside the tank must be great enough to allow the DOC and detritus to reach the skimmer and be skimmed out as gunk..

do you have a sandbed? this contributes to no3 problems as well..

how do sandbeds affect nitrate?

• SRC Member

remote DSB.. :D

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44458

but its only week 3.. so not really stable to confirm

no denitrator side effects, no expensive equipment to add..

but pail takes up space n looks ugly :P

thinking of making another sump to incorporate dsb..

aquatronica7na.gif

• SRC Member
Hi all

thk for all advise.

Using a skimmer, Italy brand RuWal.

Thinking of getting a sulphur Denitrator. Anyone selling, pls pm me.

Before u jump into the nitrate reduction wagon, what test kits u are using?

I was using tetra, like yr case, keep having high 25-50ppm range even with weekly water change.

Fed up. Took water to a reputable LFS & test. They got electronic tester.

WAH LAH!!!! My nitrate is zero ppm!!!!!!!

Spent 80 bucks on the BIO HOMME & nitrate remover stuffs.... shit