lost cost, high success : )

asg

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

hmmz...maybe u shld post in the general reefkeeping IMO....seems that ur sandbed is the main cause for nitrate.. <_<

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member
but i thought sandbed have beneficial bacteria that break down nitrogen-based waste that is produced by marine life

That was the old theory, new theory is that you don't need a sand bed as it in fact traps deitrus...

• SRC Member

:lol: few ways to save cost:

* consolidated all purchases so as to ask for higher discount

* ask around for prices as there can be a large varies in selling price

* dont buy coral because you like them, buy because you can keep them sucessfully (ditto for fishes)

:bow: money not easy to earn...

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

sort of bro...now some reefers go for BB(bare-bottom)or just have a thin layer of sand ;)

Is this a contest of the DSB and BB issue again? :D

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

I'm a believer of DSB. Believer of balance in life. Believer of mother nature. BUT I'M GETTING A SKIMMER.

Reason is that although DSB provide neutrient essential to my reef, the DOA is so high that I can almost notice the water density being so rich with my eyes. The air bubble does not burst on the surface and I know water needs to be change even without LS dying.

I tried to mimic mother nature to the fullest extent but notice the limitation.

I'm going to use my skimmer on a time schedule initially to see if this will work for a reef that grows. I have no intent to over-skim my reef and eliminates the benefit of DSB.

Anyway DSB needs fine sand to work.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member
Do note that bro andtsg is running a low tech tank. Suggesting BB for him will result in him investing in alot of high tech equipment, imho.

DSB will still work if u ask me.

Cheers

JC

Hi! i dont quite understand why BB will require other equipments (other than the standard equipment, skimmer, filter, etc) to make it work??

can you please enlighten me?

:D i am not investing in any other equipment, but no harm knowing more :)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member
Hi! i dont quite understand why BB will require other equipments (other than the standard equipment, skimmer, filter, etc) to make it work??

Thats because it doesn't. Done correctly, its a lot lesser equipment, a lot lesser resources, a lot lesser heat, and a lot lesser $$.

I have nothing against sandbed substrates users, weather is aesthetically pleasing to you or otherwise.

I think Bomber said it well when ask.

If you like DSB, know what it does,

if you like shallow SB, know what it does,

if you like BB, know what it does. : )

... and nakazoru, I seriously hope it didn't take you too long to realize, you can never mimic the ocean...oh and make that a ... BUT I'M GETTING A SMIMMER.. if u don't get the pun, PM me. : )

• SRC Member

i dont think it will crack, as the LRs will rest on the bottom of the tank and the cabinet is acting "against" the weight, thus the weight will be "transfer" to the leg of the cabinet. :) for every action, there is a reaction...

:off: sigh... reefers are sometimes a lonely lot... none of my friends/ colleagues keep reef... lonely river flows ~~~ to the sea, to the sea~~~

@Sept 2014